Clay’s Wedgewood Blue FB Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Re: Clay’s Wedgewood Blue FB Ute

Post by Blacky »

I have been thinking about trying a pair of 235/60/13 on the back of my ute but cant really justify the expense if they rub

Did you buy them from Tarzia tyres ???
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

They are the other side of town from me. This bloke is a pleasant 1/2 hour drive away and a price I couldn't say no to.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
BS
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by BS »

You know I’m partial to a set. Chromies look great Clay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Tarzia’s price is $320 plus the ride for a pair of them which I thought was pretty good , I bought my 205/65/13’s from them - the local guy here told me there was no such size available and he wanted to sell me a 205/60/13 for $70 a tyre more than Tarzia wanted for the 205/65/13 !!!
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Yeah, these were quite a bit cheaper.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

gledge wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:14 pm Everything is pinging ATM mate.. Jason took 5 degrees out of his and I’ve taken 6 out of mine and still slight pingImage full moonImagebarometric pressure or something Image young fella with hot 6 at coffee and chrome the other night had same problem… I stuck 5 litres of race fuel in and still pinging.. I was thinking carbon buildup in combustion chamber as my daughter has been driving it on her L plates so hasn’t been flogged Image but strange that it happened to a lot of people.. love some ideas bin this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Got a black efi dissy and coil to go on.Image

Still pinging occasionally, around 1800rpm plus, any serious throttle application up steep hills in top. Same tank of 91.

It was tempting to bung it in this evening, but decided to hold off until after the club cruise tomorrow. We're going out to a 21st after. Sunday cnc meet at the Vale, followed by old cars and machines at the Flat. Job for Monday.
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Dissy in and set to +10 initial.Image
Awaiting the brakes before a run up the test strip, Bangor Road ImageImage🫣ImageImage

Power Brakes made me up a minor kit for the VH40 hydraulic circuit. Price wasn't minor mind you. I was out their way. No visible damage inside the cylinder, rubbers a bit hard and shrunken as you'd expect. Replaced and back together with some assistance from blackys mate Neil who runs gmh Torana.com and is a brake tech.

Reassembling the diaphragm, I realised I hadn't inspected it closely enough, and had the smallest of tears, which could have happened on disassembly. Good old Car Parts Plus came up with a Protec replacement inside 2 hours for $30.

Beer o'clock came around and still playing with smelly, messy, annoying $*#@ hydraulics.

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

At least you have beer to help 🍺

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Yes. The beer got me a hard pedal. But now the brakes are locked on either constant vacuum.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Brakes sorted this arvo and test ran the new dissy. Now pinging off idle, but not higher up. I will back initial off to +8 and re-test.

I ended up swaying out some bits from the VH44 I recently took off. Power Brskes seem to have given me to number 25 5/16" cups, instead of a 25 and a 25A............

EK van on rotisserie
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

A thousand words:
VH44 Service Manual page 20.jpg
VH44 Service Manual page 20.jpg (3.29 MiB) Viewed 161 times
VH44 Service Manual page 19.jpg
VH44 Service Manual page 19.jpg (4 MiB) Viewed 161 times
Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Thanks Harv. 40 and 44 are identical in the control valve construction.

EK van on rotisserie
FbSTDwagon

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Good to hear you got the booster sorted Clay.

I found a booster (I did not actually look what variant it was) in my pile of stuff that of forgotten relics and I am thinking of fitting to my wagon, which has original drum brakes.

Do you think it will matter what type of booster is needed for a drum front?

VH40 or VH44 or either will fit and will be ok?
Drew
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

VH44 for drums, the smaller one with offset front mount lug.

Backed initial timing to +6 and still pinging below 1000 rpm when really taxed. Fresh fuel next. Otherwise, 95/98 and start again. I really would like to run a bit more initial advance.

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Sorted out the booster with a control valve piston from the VH44 I took off previously, and the brakes are now great, well, by comparison at the least.

Not so the new dissy. Car was pinging and coughing off idle. I even tried 98, and a hefty dose of this:Imageto no avail.

Looking at this distributor, it has a heap of end float on the shaft. Here is why:ImageSo I reinstalled the old dissy with Initial timing set at +7 degrees, maxing out around 40deg, wih no pinging, no doubt thanks to the high octane fuel. It still seems like it could use a bit more initial advance, so I will fix the EFI dissy and have another go at some point.

EK van on rotisserie