Valerie the EK Standard Sedan

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Re: Valerie the EK Standard Sedan

Post by Harv »

ardiesse wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:13 pmThe only aftermarket grey motor harmonic balancer I've had any experience with fractured part-way along the hub. Cast iron, it appears.
The wobbly aftermarket one that I pulled off the FB a few years ago had a fractured hub too.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
gpi
State: VIC

Post by gpi »

This one shouldn’t suffer that same fate
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

. . . looks like an exact match for the one I pulled off in two pieces last weekend. :(
Maybe one has to take care to drive them on straight with a suitable drift.

Rob
Harv

Post by Harv »

There was a manufacturer who was making the aftermarket Powerbond balancers for a long while. They were bought out by Dayco in the 2010's. Production of the balancers stopped for a while. Dayco then reintroduced the balancer... at a substantively increased price. Rare Spares was none too happy at the time with the price increase, and stopped stocking balancers (I got caught, and had to buy a Ross balancer). I assume Dayco is using the original manufacturers tolerances.

The Ross balancers are little better - so tight that you have to belt the hell out of them to get them to fit. Could not get enough swing with the grille in place. I was using an old long 1/2" Sidchrome socket extension bar as a drift to drive it on, in order to get the swing outside the engine bay. Ended up burring over the end of the Sidchrome extension before the balancer seated. Would not have thought you could do that to an old Sidchrome tool.

Cheers,
Harv (deputy instructor, Harv's School of Tool Abuse).
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
gpi

Valerie the EK Standard Sedan

Post by gpi »

https://dayco.com.au/page.aspx?A=11326

DAYCO AUSTRALIA EXPANDS AFTERMARKET PRODUCT RANGE WITH THE ACQUISITION OF PRECISION PARTS

September, 2013 - Dayco Australia announces its entry into the Harmonic Balancer, Pulley and Overrunning Alternator Pulley (OAP) market through the acquisition of Precision Parts Pty Ltd.

Precision Parts Pty Ltd, an Australian-based company that manufactures Harmonic Balancers, Performance Balancers, Engine Idler pulleys and Overrunning Alternator Pulleys for the automotive aftermarket industry, is now an integral part of Dayco Australia’s highly successful Automotive Aftermarket operations.

Precision Parts is a leader in Harmonic Balancer manufacturing, producing an extensive range of products marketed under the POWERBOND brand.

-----

Dayco provide a tool for removal / installation

https://dayco.com.au/PartInfo.aspx?G=1987&P=HBTK001

Harv

Post by Harv »

Aaahhh... Precision Parts. That rings a bell.

The Dayco puller/installer is a bit overdone for the grey motor. Grab an el-cheapo puller from SuperCheap:
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/too ... 12533.html

This will get the balancer off. Getting the balancer back on, the Dayco kit is useless. It works by screwing a bolt into the crank, then using that bolt to drive on the balancer. Because the grey motor crank is not tapped and threaded, there is nowhere for the Dayco kit to attach to. Three options:
a) drill and tap the crank snout,
b) use the GMH "installer" (only good for the original harmonic balancers with a large, threaded centrebore), and
c) use a drift and BFH.

Cheers,
Harv
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

This is the one I'm going for for the Supercharger install - Fred the Wray man has machined a grove into the face and drilled and tapped three holes to mount a double v pulley to the front so hopefully they hold up to a bit of extra load.

Keen to hear your install experience GPI as I will need to do the same
gpi wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:38 pm This one shouldn’t suffer that same fate
You will find me lost somewhere!
gpi

Post by gpi »

Dayco confirmed that the tool is no good for installation and suggest using a drift:

They have also asked to send the balancer and pulley to them and they will drill the balancer and fit the pulley.
The other option is the Ross Balancer with the pulley adaptor which is half as much of the price of the balancer again so not exactly cheap.
gpi

Post by gpi »

Curse of the leaky boot with rubber mat...

Going to cut the top off it and the bottom of the one I picked up off oldgrey58 and hopefully end up with 16 1/2 Gallons.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Sounds like a plan. I always thought of deleting the spare well and going wider with the tank. Then exhaust clearance is another issue. You could extend the arm on the sender to increase the range but I dare say you’ve thought about that.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Fraud mustang tanks are the flavour at the moment, but yes a spot for the spare is awkward !

Greg
So many cars so little time!
gpi

Post by gpi »

I’ve got a XA Coupe tank but it would need modification anyways.

When the 2 standard tanks are stitched together, the standard sender recess is being removed.
This ring will be welded in its place to fit a late model fuel pump and sender

Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

gpi wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:24 pm I’ve got a XA Coupe tank but it would need modification anyways.

When the 2 standard tanks are stitched together, the standard sender recess is being removed.
This ring will be welded in its place to fit a late model fuel pump and sender

I have done a similar thing with the tank in the red rattler - it is a weld in ring that uses a VE Commode fuel pump as it will be EFI
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
gpi

Post by gpi »

Many thanks to Mark for this radiator.
Now re-cored and ready for some miles

ekv8ute
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by ekv8ute »

Looks a bit better than when I had it!
Cheers