Brake shoe circlip tool

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

State: SA

Brake shoe circlip tool

Post by 138 »

While I was overhauling the brakes I noticed that Holden used the same circlips to hold the shoe locators on as Chevs of that era. I had made this tool while doing some brake jobs on early Chevs and Pontiacs, so it came out again with the Holden. They are a bit of a bugger trying to compress the spring and get the circlip on. This is the tool I modified to make the job a bit easier. It started off as a cheap welding clamp, which wasn't much good for the original job, but I hung on to it "just in case". A short bit of strap was tacked across the bottom jaws, and the corners ground down to roughly match the curve on the inside of the shoe.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (273.69 KiB) Viewed 625 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (240.82 KiB) Viewed 625 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (214.03 KiB) Viewed 625 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (279.42 KiB) Viewed 625 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (277.15 KiB) Viewed 625 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (252.91 KiB) Viewed 625 times
The bit of strap is centered over the spring, and the open jaws straddle the circlip end, so when the clamp is closed, the groove in the pin is exposed, and the circlip can be put on, and peened down. Just make sure the arm is free to pivot when you have the clamp closed.
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Brake shoe circlip tool

Post by Blacky »

nice work mate, make a fiddly job lots easier !
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.