FAQ on tyre and rim data for FB/EKs

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Re: FAQ on tyre and rim data for FB/EKs

Post by Errol62 »

Surely? 4 31/132” in the old money ;7)

Thanks again for the write up Harv.

I’m positive that VB VK ran mainly 14x6JJ.

Rim I was told was HR recently, 1960 13x4” not in the mix above. The guy was sure it was early Holden pattern, but then he was pretty confident that it was HR. It did look 4.25”. Could be from a Vauxhall or something else of the era. Now I recognise these rims as they have non identical raised pressings between the luggoles. Never seen these before or at least didn’t recognise them.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Errol62 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:29 pm Surely? 4 31/132” in the old money
If it’s a typo, then it’s a consistent typo in the workshop manuals.
E56FE809-0675-45F0-8A58-85C2557515F4.jpeg
E56FE809-0675-45F0-8A58-85C2557515F4.jpeg (70.81 KiB) Viewed 770 times
You’re right on the Commodore... 14”. Error on my part.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Some notes from the weekend.

13"x7” Sampson Magnum alloys (5/8” offset) fit at the rear, with 2½” clearance to the inner guard (205/60/13 tyres). They fit at the front with 21/32” clearance to the tie-rod end.
13"x6” Sampson Magnum alloys (21/32” offset) fit at the rear, but just touch the tie-rod end at the front. Could be solved with wheel spacers (generally illegal) or Stinky’s tie-rod spacers.

Pictured below are the standard FB/EK wheels.
Back spacing: 3 9/16”" (90mm)
Front spacing: 2 1/16” (52mm)
Offset +¾” (+19mm)
Flange to Flange: 5 5/8” (143mm)
Centre bore: 2½” (63mm)

FB wheel front.jpg
FB wheel front.jpg (115.98 KiB) Viewed 757 times
FB wheel rear.jpg
FB wheel rear.jpg (127.48 KiB) Viewed 757 times

Unknown rim (Torana perhaps?) from under the house
Back spacing: 5 5/16”" (135mm)
Front spacing: 11/32” (9mm)
Offset +2 31/64? (+63mm)
Flange to Flange: 5 21/32” (144mm)
Centre bore: 2½” (63mm)
Spooders: redbacks
Unknown wheel front.jpg
Unknown wheel front.jpg (140.33 KiB) Viewed 757 times
Unknown wheel rear.jpg
Unknown wheel rear.jpg (140.18 KiB) Viewed 757 times

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

LH I believe but definitely Torana.

The 6” Sampson’s you’re trying on a stock hub king pin front? They will also foul the front upper outer control arm pivot end, which steering arm mods won’t fix. Your HQ hub conversion may resolve this.

EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Errol62 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:37 amThe 6” Sampson’s you’re trying on a stock hub king pin front? They will also foul the front upper outer control arm pivot end, which steering arm mods won’t fix. Your HQ hub conversion may resolve this.
It was intertesting. The 6" Sampsons fit fine on the back. On the front (standard kingpin), it just, and only just, touched the tierod end. I had clearance on the control arms, albeit I had no tyres on them. When you fitted them up, was it the tyre or the rims rubbing?

Pretty cool that the 7" fitted, though it all could change with the CRS kit and P76-type rotors. The rears were pretty close to the wheel arch... suspect I will need to roll the lips.

The track change on the 7" rims is perfect - 1/8" inch (3.2mm) each side. NCOP will let me run up to 12.5mm additional track each side. The 205 tyres are equally just compliant based on the original 6.4x13 tyres (table LS2).

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

With all the talk of late of wide rear wheels, I got interested. I know that 7" Sampson Magnums with 205 tyres will fit on the FB... but what about 8"? The offset on the 7" ones proved to be pretty funky, so I wonder what the 8" ones are like...

Managed to buy a set of two 13x8 Sampsons. Depending on profile, I can get a 225 - 275 tyre on those rims. Just need to wait until the lockdown eases to go and pick them up. When I get them home I'll post the dimensions (offset etc) here. Will they fit? No idea, but I'll have fun trying. Not sure what the engineer would think of radiusing the rear arches though :mrgreen:

The 8" come with another pair of Sampsons 13x7s. Figure I'll run one set of Sampson 13x7 rears on the meth monster with radials (for tootling around and driving to/from Eastern Creek), and either 13x7 or 13x8's rears with slicks for the track.

There appears to be several different versions of the Sampsons - some refer to them as MKI, MKII, Magnums, Interceptors etc. Does anyone have any old literature/magazine ads etc that show the different versions? Some Googling shows very little info on Sampson Engineering other than the Adelaide location.

Cheers,
Harv
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Referring to previous post you asked where the front 6” x 13” Samsons fouled. On left lock the bare rim edge was touching the front outer edge of the upper control arm, near where the top outer pivot pin ends. Standard suspension and brakes. Incidentally Roger has a virtually identical pair gathering dust at his place here in Adelaide.

Stay sane mate.

EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Some more Sampson info.

I've been hunting some centre caps. I have some push-in ones, but really want the 5-self tapper versions - some of my wheels are already drilled, I have a habit of losing push-in caps, some drag strip scrutineers don't like caps, and the push-in ones don't clear the meth monster front hubs.

I have a bunch of leads from my want ads from people who repro the caps, or at least ones similar. I was holding off though as a gentleman on the Ozrodders forum had original caps to send me. As far as he knows, there are two sizes of caps - large and small. The ones he sent me are the large ones. Photos below of both my push-in ones and the large 5-self tapper ones.

Sampson Magnum wheel cap dimensions.jpg
Sampson Magnum wheel cap dimensions.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 678 times

The large caps fit, but look a little bulky. They also (just) touch the wheel nuts, and I'd have to drill a second set of holes (the caps are 2.25" lug-to-lug, whilst my wheels have been drilled 1 13/16") The gentleman also had a single Delta cap (see below). This is the correct 1 13/16" lug-to-lug, but not tall enough to clear the front hub grease caps. I need something at least 1.6" deep to clear the hubs, unless I can think of a funky way to make a low profile grease cap.

Delta wheel caps.jpg
Delta wheel caps.jpg (870.56 KiB) Viewed 678 times

So not sure yet if I will run the large Sampsons. Will do a ring around of the various contacts and see what I can find. At least now I have a good set of dimensions to work with.

Cheers,
Harv
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

That mob the bloke on bookface recommended no good mate ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Some trailer hubs run what looks a low profile hub but beats me how they would fit over the spindle end. Can you get the magnum stickers to go on my CSA caps, assuming they be correct size? Better measure them I suppose.

EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Blacky wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:55 pm That mob the bloke on bookface recommended no good mate ?
Haven't tried calling around yet. Got about four leads to follow up, but wanted to wait until the large caps arrived to see if they were what I needed.

Will start the hunt this week. Suspect at least one of the contacts can make the Sampson stickers too.

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Some calls made this morning.

Got some caps coming from lugnutking (Dave, 0408365121). Nice bloke to deal with. More than happy to walk through the measurements to make sure the caps measure up OK. Didn't have any Magnum logos though.

Gave GT Wheels a call (0414928177). Sounds like they can do the caps too, and walk through measurements. They make all kinds of logos, and as luck would have it had recently made a set of Magnum stickers. They made four spare ones, so I bought those.

The three contacts I didn't use that might be useful for others were:
Neales Wheels at Narellan
Wheels Australia in Ballarat
Lee Nicole (sells off gumtree).

Cheers,
Harv
Wrongway Roger

Post by Wrongway Roger »

Thanks Hav, for the contacts for wheels Neales Wheels at Narellan and Wheels Australia in Ballarat.
I currently looking for wheels for Ammo's ute and the major wheel guys are only interested in late model cars.
Last quote, Bob Jane, was around $700 to $800 per wheel, for 3 piece 16 x 7's around 3 to 4 months delivery.
Cheers,
Roger
There is a right way and a wrong way and then there is my way which is usually the long way.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I've been to Lee's place. Not for the faint hearted.

FB ute driver, EK van project

EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Many thanks for posting the info Harv.
Sucker for a rusty bomb