LS1EK

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

TAZ
State: TAS

LS1EK

Post by TAZ »

So i have been asked to start a build thread on my EK

I have been stalking this forum for a while whilst hatching a plan for building my EK. Tas transport declared they approved my proposed modifications but ruled the car was to be classified as a ICV. However to cut a long story short i was forced to use a new engineer as the original engineer no longer met the new guidelines that came into effect in September. I have taken this oportunity to push my point that the car should be classed as a highly modified production vehicle and the new engineer has agreed, under the new scheme he gets to make the decision and signs off on the modifications. The car still has the original production number and front chassis and body of a EK so therefore can not be deemed a ICV. Happy days.
History of the car is that it comes from Trafalagar in Vic. I bought it last year as you see it except for the rear diff and suspension. There is some rework to do but you get that on all projects.
So the plan is to fit a LS1 auto, southern chassis front end, triangulated rear and shockwaves front and rear and 17 or 18" rims. Not sure when it will be finished but am looking forward to the build.

Cheers TAZ.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1470884676519.jpg
FB_IMG_1470884676519.jpg (98.75 KiB) Viewed 6092 times
FB_IMG_1470884660330.jpg
FB_IMG_1470884660330.jpg (96.03 KiB) Viewed 6092 times
FB_IMG_1470884668662.jpg
FB_IMG_1470884668662.jpg (94.81 KiB) Viewed 6092 times
FB_IMG_1464698253847.jpg
FB_IMG_1464698253847.jpg (96.33 KiB) Viewed 6092 times
FB_IMG_1464698263667.jpg
FB_IMG_1464698263667.jpg (86.3 KiB) Viewed 6092 times
FB_IMG_1470884683560-1.jpg
FB_IMG_1470884683560-1.jpg (73.44 KiB) Viewed 6092 times
EK JAY
State: NSW

Re: LS1EK

Post by EK JAY »

8) welcome Taz :thumbsup:
EK JAY SINCE 1990
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Welcome Taz, interested to see this one unfold via your updates.

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Some serious fabrication there taz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Nice one Taz, be good to follow your build on here - unusual looking diff , what is it out of ??? did you make the supports for the top arms or was that already done ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
NoMAD

Post by NoMAD »

Blacky wrote:Nice one Taz, be good to follow your build on here - unusual looking diff , what is it out of ??? did you make the supports for the top arms or was that already done ?
i was wondering the exact same thing.

looking good though mate, be keen to follow your build if you keep it updated :thumbsup:

Cheers
Nathan
FB/EK Holden Car Club of W.A. Inc
Foundation Member
TAZ

Post by TAZ »

Blacky wrote:Nice one Taz, be good to follow your build on here - unusual looking diff , what is it out of ??? did you make the supports for the top arms or was that already done ?
The diff is out of a VZ SS Crewman, which been shortened accordingly. Cheaper than a nine inch and lighter. The bracket for the triangulated arms was fabricated by me but based on designs googled. I did this because the centre is offset and nodular iron, so not easily welded. I have gone triangulated to negate the need for a watts linkage.

Cheers, Taz
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

So the bracket bolts on ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

TAZ

Post by TAZ »

Blacky wrote:So the bracket bolts on ?
Yes Blacky in between the inspection cover and housing. I have also installed two 10mm dowels so that it always goes back on in the same place, do a google search and you will find kits from the US that are done exactally the same way.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Clever !! Not seen that done before .....

62MLOO
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by 62MLOO »

Good one Taz, It seems like you have a similar plan as me and are at about roughly the same stage of build. Mate im looking forward to seeing yours progress and bouncing a few ideas off each other.
WRAPAROUND WINDSCEENS AND SQUARE QUARTER WINDOWS RULE !!
Ol_Girl_58

Post by Ol_Girl_58 »

Nice work Taz.

Who are you using for your engineer? I'm in Hobart and building an FC Holden. I need to check in with an engineer; someone enthusiastic and into early Holdens would be a good thing.

Regards,

Josh
TAZ

Post by TAZ »

Ol_Girl_58 wrote:Nice work Taz.

Who are you using for your engineer? I'm in Hobart and building an FC Holden. I need to check in with an engineer; someone enthusiastic and into early Holdens would be a good thing.

Regards,

Josh
Am using Aaron Burnett who is based in Devonport, Burnett Consulting is his business name, his a qualified Engineer and you can talk sense to him.

Cheers, Taz
TAZ

Post by TAZ »

62MLOO wrote:Good one Taz, It seems like you have a similar plan as me and are at about roughly the same stage of build. Mate im looking forward to seeing yours progress and bouncing a few ideas off each other.
Sounds good to me, you have the same front end don't you, BA twin spot calipers with the 320 dia discs, i tjink the brakes are sourced from UPC P. What size rims are you going to run? I was looking at 18" alloy smoothies but may go back to 15" steel smoothie if i can get a rim to clear the front brakes.

Simon
Ol_Girl_58

Post by Ol_Girl_58 »

TAZ wrote: Am using Aaron Burnett who is based in Devonport, Burnett Consulting is his business name, his a qualified Engineer and you can talk sense to him.

Cheers, Taz
Thanks Taz, I'll get in touch with him :thumbsup:
TAZ wrote: Sounds good to me, you have the same front end don't you, BA twin spot calipers with the 320 dia discs, i tjink the brakes are sourced from UPC P. What size rims are you going to run? I was looking at 18" alloy smoothies but may go back to 15" steel smoothie if i can get a rim to clear the front brakes.
For what it's worth, I'm running front brakes from UPC too; 290mm twin piston fronts with a 2" drop spindle/HQ steering arm/HR front end combo, with Centura rear end and finned drums; it stops very well :thumbsup:

I'm about to add a 3.9 BW LSD centre and Falcon discs.

Regards,

Josh