CRS DB005 disc brake kit for kingpin front end

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

CRS DB005 disc brake kit for kingpin front end

Post by Harv »

I’m slowly, slowly putting together a plan for the next project (the V8 EK wagon needs finishing first). I figure to get the wagon on the road, then play with my FB daily driver. Motor comes out, and gets a pretty hefty rebuild. Aiming to run a Norman on it, with SUs for the street and swap to Hilborn injection for the drags. I’ve got most of the driveline parts, but need to put a bit more thought into suspension/steering. For now it is a case of finalising the design, and slowly picking up parts.

The car is going to need engineering, and the “30 second conversation” I had with the engineer a while back was positive. My mental model is to try to make the changes (other than engine) as minimal as possible, albeit safe. The car already has some of the basics – seatbelts, demister, indicators etc.

The main things that the engineer wants (that I don’t already have) are a collapsible column, 2-speed wipers and disc brakes. For the collapsible column, my intent is to get an Alien Retro column made up to suit the FB steering box. There are some parts that The Alien will need, and I’ll keep my eye out for them. The electric wipers are easy enough (I'll use on of Ken McLean’s conversions).

The interesting thing for me is what to do with the brakes. The engineer was not too impressed with the idea of standard HR solid rotors. I think I could get away though with Torana discs – although solid, they are a lot bigger. I could bolt on a HR front end (and probably Torana steering rack) and bolt on later discs, but I’d like to avoid the HR front end (and any form of rack) if I can. One way to do this is to use the CRS kit DB005 that bolts LH-UC Torana discs and calipers to the FB king pin front end:

http://www.rodshop.com.au/index.php/hol ... rsion.html

There would be some jiggery pokery to get the right master cylinder (has to be dual circuit - probably XA/B/C &*#@, though will do some research with Hoppers Stoppers), and would still need to convince the engineer. I haven’t seen this kit used by anyone before, though I figure if CRS is selling it there must be a few out there. Anyone used the CRS DB005 kit before?

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Re: CRS DB005 disc brake kit for kingpin front end

Post by Blacky »

I think Burnsy put them on his EK - which is now J's EK. There was a fairly comprehensive write up either on here or the FE/FC Forum , probably best part of 10 years ago now ????
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks Blacky - appreciated. The early Holden forums are a bit like my shed - there is a fair chance that the stuff I need is in there, if only I can find it :ebiggrin: :lol: .

Sounds like the DB005 kit needs a little bit of grinding, some washers to install but otherwise manageable.

I'll run the concept past the engineer and see what response I get.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
gpi
State: VIC

Post by gpi »

Harv wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:17 pm ... my intent is to get an Alien Retro column made up to suit the FB steering box...
I asked him about this a couple of years and he wouldnt do it
Harv

Post by Harv »

It's been a while since I spoke to him. I understood that you had to provide something weird (HK column?) along with the FB/EK bits for him to do it.

Cheers,
Harv