Compressor for spraying

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Compressor for spraying

Post by Errol62 »

I eventually snapped up this cheap compressor online.Imagestated 13cfm, 50 litre tank.

As you can see I already had to bodgy up a new junction box using an old fastener box.Imageand some liquid nails. The original box lasted not longImage...... $800 to TOL depot I think it was.

Next thing to fail is this pissy little handle bar fixingImagethread stripped. Guess I’ll just replace the bolts with spot welds.

Well my mates son painted his new cat hulls with it. Let’s hope there’s some life left in it yet. Three cylinder and the psi is pretty good 120, 150? As the old adage goes, you get what you pay for, and in this case it’s the quality control where money has been saved. At least it is steel and won’t go to land fill.

Finishing touchImagepainted the control box matt black

Decided I will have a go with some acrylic lacquer on my FB ute.Image
Cheers
Clay

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
gledge

Re: Compressor for spraying

Post by gledge »

Hey clay use Ezyphos.. it is a phosphoric avid in a spray can and you just spray it on bare steel and it lasts for years protec makes a version that you mix up yourself with water called metal conditioner but the Ezy Phos is awesome and ya buy it online

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gledge

Post by gledge »

Acid not avid.. lol

Jonty

Post by Jonty »

IRON AIR.jpg
IRON AIR.jpg (505.36 KiB) Viewed 493 times
i spent ages trying to get the most air for the least money. In the end I got this compressor from total tools in the Boxing Day sale for about $700. 320l/m FAD and 90 litre tank. Needs 15amp power but that wasnt a problem at home. So far it's been good. It's pretty busy running a DA sander at full speed. I've only sprayed water based house paint on the interior of an old caravan with a $15 Aldi spray gun, but had good results. I've now got an Iwata AZ3 HTE2 gun which I'm looking forward to spraying the outside of the van, and then getting back to the FB!
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Good one Nathan

I think maybe mine is 80 litre not 50. My mate tried to clean the overspray off it and took the writing off the spec plate doh

That black box on top is same as mine was that shattered

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

gledge wrote:Hey clay use Ezyphos.. it is a phosphoric avid in a spray can and you just spray it on bare steel and it lasts for yearsImage protec makes a version that you mix up yourself with water called metal conditioner but the Ezy Phos is awesome and ya buy it online

Thanks for the tip Glen

EK van on rotisserie
Glenolab
State: VIC

Post by Glenolab »

Hi,
First time post, but have learnt heaps already just reading everyones posts. Great website for an old novice like myself.
I'm looking at compressors and am leaning between a 3HP Twin piston with 150ltr tank and 12cfm FAD, 145psi for $800 with free delivery, or 3HP 3 piston 100ltr tank 13FAD 125psi for $845 and $80 delivery.
I'm looking at sanding and painting my EK.
Which of these would be best, or are they both too small? Love to hear your thoughts
Burnsy
EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

Hi Burnsy,

If you have read this post from start to finish I think that would give you enough data to make a decision.

Personally I have gone for the bigger is better theory, only because I get frustrated with things that are promised and don't deliver.

15cfm is the minimum for anything and for me that was a let down as well, my sand blaster just wouldn't run with this pressure (although the brochure said it would !)

The other thing is if you use a product like a compressor you can always sell it when you finish. At the end of the day car rebuilds are just not cheap.

Good luck and post some project photos.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Glenolab

Post by Glenolab »

Thanks Greg, 15 CFM displacement or delivery? Wish I could find one that someone's finished with, but there doesn't seem to be anything on gumtree or eBay.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

If you’re patient unlike me maybe a quality unit will come up second hand for around the money you are looking at for one of those new online ones. Otherwise they will do the job and hopefully last out beyond the project for general shed duty. I would go the larger tank over the three cylinder, all else being virtually equal. You will get a better run at large paint areas and sand blasting.

If you intend making painting cars an ongoing habit you’ll be better in the long run spending more like $2k or finding a good second hand deal. But then I don’t take my own advice.....

EK van on rotisserie
Glenolab

Post by Glenolab »

Thanks Clay, I’ll keep looking. 240v Limits the choice. Reckon both of those are cheaper imports.
Funny, Errol was my mums name!