Inertia seatbelt for EK UTE install

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

FJWALLY
State: VIC

Inertia seatbelt for EK UTE install

Post by FJWALLY »

Ok - so I have a set of seatbelt from Neil Stamp - look great but uncertain where to put the bottom mounts and measurements for the clip spacing and sash spacing.

Did you mount the bottom mount on the vertical pillar or the floor?

Does anyone have any pics and measurements they can share of their installs?
You will find me lost somewhere!
FJWALLY

Re: Inertia seatbelt for EK UTE install

Post by FJWALLY »

Thanks Tim - It's quite crazy that I can register it without seatbelt but when I add safety to it via seatbelt I need to go through all the BS for engineering etc - just another silly rule I don't understand.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I mounted the reels on the rear divider panel between the cab and the tray - pulled the tray floor out and bolted them through right behind the edge of the seat and the B pillar. When we painted the ute I mounted plates in the pillars up top for the top bolt so I didn't need to remove the headliner to install them , just took me 5 years to put them in ....
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Yeah I figured am happy with the inertia real on the parcel shelf as it can sit flat for proper operation but then the second point can only be on the floor right? Which will make it a pain in the butt to grab the belt each time you jump in which I had not properly considered before ordering.

I'll give Neil a ring and see what he thinks is best.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

ok - all fitted without too much drama - some alterations to the seat as they are joined all along that back join - some chopping required of one wire each side to let the belts come through from the back - pics to come
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

you shouldn't need to cut the wire, just cut a slot in the vinyl to let the end of the belt drop through ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Yes thats how I started Blacky but the clasp end is too fat to fit through and the two centre mounts need to be bolted in before you put the seat in for a ute as the length adjustment has to be done before you tighten the bolts - impossible to do once the seat is in.

It does not remove any real strength in the seat as where you cut has a reinforcing point - bend back the frame edge a little and it goes through ok but even then is a very tight fit.
Would be ok with the old metal type belts as they are much thinner in the clasp.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

A couple pics of the install - you can see the wire piece I had to remove - was a simple job and where it is wont effect the integrity of the seat
Attachments
IMG_2904.JPG
IMG_2904.JPG (134.31 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
IMG_2915.JPG
IMG_2915.JPG (66.28 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
IMG_2910.JPG
IMG_2910.JPG (66.38 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
IMG_2900.JPG
IMG_2900.JPG (139.09 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
IMG_2897.JPG
IMG_2897.JPG (124.19 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Just researching seat belts for the ute. I bought a few second hand sets so I could have the period buckles like I remember from my youth. Wanted the HKTG style with the lion like my HK wagon. Wound up with the GM ones. Then I came to my senses and decided to install a new set of inertia belts. Then I started toying with the idea of having centre lap sash inertia. I envisage using the middle seat a bit for short trips down to the surf and I don’t see why you couldn’t do this in a ute. Anyway it all got a bit hard and now I think I’ll just go for centre sash and side retractable as per previous posts by FJ Wally.

So a couple of questions:
Where have people mounted lower fixings? Not sure about mounting through the cargo barrier as this is only spot welded to floor.
Inertia reel mounted to cargo wall seems ok as the load is shared with the b-pillar. Will this clear seat bottom when back as far as it will go?
Any supplier or brand recommendations? I would prefer blue to match interior or else grey. I assume the buckles only come in black with regulation red release button.

Photos would be helpful. Thanks in anticipation.
Cheers
Clay

P.S. anyone in the market for a couple of sets of hq and Torana belts?
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Errol62 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:28 pm Where have people mounted lower fixings? Not sure about mounting through the cargo barrier as this is only spot welded to floor.Inertia reel mounted to cargo wall seems ok as the load is shared with the b-pillar. Will this clear seat bottom when back as far as it will go?
I mounted Grace's inertia reels at the base of the B-pillar. Hemco make a 90º bracket that allows the bolt to pass vertically through the floor pan, using a 6"x4", cad-plated, captive nut reinforcing plate that they also supply. Seat still slides fully fore and aft. Sometimes the floor pan is not horizontal (like in the last photo below) and the bracket needs some creative bending (with a BFH) to get the reel to sit hard up against the B-pillar.

The photos below show the installation in Grace's ute. The last photo is a similar installation in my wagon, which shows the bracket better (before it was adjusted in a vice with the BFH):

Bracket and floor mounts in ute.jpg
Bracket and floor mounts in ute.jpg (95.27 KiB) Viewed 882 times
Bracket in ute.jpg
Bracket in ute.jpg (165.19 KiB) Viewed 882 times
Bracket in wagon.jpg
Bracket in wagon.jpg (115.25 KiB) Viewed 882 times

Errol62 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:28 pm Any supplier or brand recommendations? I would prefer blue to match interior or else grey. I assume the buckles only come in black with regulation red release button.
Hemco Industries. Awesome to deal with.
118 Learmonth St, Alfredton Victoria 3350
Phone: 1300 065 057

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

I used Neil Stamp for mine - Stamps Hot Rod Coloured Seatbelts - He is in kangaroo ground - will send you colour samples at request 03 54477555 or 0409333314.

I can't get pics to you for a couple days but will later in the week - I had the top mount reinforced into the B Pillar and Bottom also on side - I put side belts through the tub wall rather than the floor with the added load spreader plate which is fine by all reports - my tub was in great condition with next to no rust so I was confident it was sound and we add a few welds to strengthen when we had it stripped back.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Thanks very much Harv and Rob. That gives me a good idea of what to do.Both those suppliers I’ve heard are good. Colour choice may dictate in this case and it appears Stampy has that option. Not sure about Hemco with the colours however the reel mount against the pillar looks a good way to go so I want their bracket.
Cheers
Clay

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Ok so Hemco have a good colour range https://www.hemco.com.au/seatbelt-divis ... lts#colors

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie