WA fb special

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

mph
State: WA

Re: WA fb special

Post by mph »

Spent the past few days on and off working on the fb.
Nothing to complicated just fiddly and finding ways to route cables neatly making up -6 braided lines and o2 sensor in the exhaust.
Programmed a few basic settings selected idle rpm , fuel ratio target and it started right up.
Still need a few water pump bungs, zip tie vaccum lines and do something with the accelerator linkages. The screen tells you what percentage throttle is at I'm getting max 81% so might change to a cable set up.
I haven't put the locked dizzy in yet which will allow the sniper to do the complete timing.
They recommend start and run on the std dizzy with vacuum timing advance first until all is happy.
But I'm not sure what a std red motor timing should be at idle and rpm etc.
Once I have this I need to punch a few more parameters in the screen and go out for it to self learn while driving.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Love it Clint. Start the timing at 6 - 8 degrees static.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

nice work mate, look forward to seeing if you can actually wring some half decent fuel economy out of that thing with the Sniper setup . :thumbsup: You home on the 2/1/22 ???
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Man this thing is cool.
mph wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:54 pmBut I'm not sure what a std red motor timing should be at idle and rpm etc.
HR specs below for the 161 HC big block:

161 HC advance curves HR Holden.jpg
161 HC advance curves HR Holden.jpg (690.68 KiB) Viewed 616 times

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

This type of fuel delivery will make that engine run like it has never done before, you can set and forget and the system will deliver the best fuel amount for efficiency and power.
I am looking forward to the result as I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
BS
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by BS »

Cool !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mph

Post by mph »

Thanks guys, still have not been able to get back on and have a play around with the fb. Thanks for the timing pics harv they will be a great help.
Also have a big hei cap dizzy that's half way through being modded like turbo camaro 6 guy does on you tube. But 1 step at a time. Also built a removable floor consol
Also will build a false floor to sit over the boot chassis rails and will cover and protect the fuel pump , wires and new fuel lines. Might need to put the battery on charge for a bit ImageImageImage

FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
NoMAD

Post by NoMAD »

Done a great job mate, neat setup

Cheers
Nathan
FB/EK Holden Car Club of W.A. Inc
Foundation Member
mph

Post by mph »

Well i went for the maiden voyage earlier this arvo just around the block in case I had to push it home the first drive with success. Initial throttle response on take of is 100 times crisper aswell as as take off from the lights up to 70kph. It's still no burn out machine but the difference from before is crazy. The motor previously was drivable but wasn't running to great due to shit issues with carbies.
Sitting at the lights with out smelling fumes was nice for a change and watching the fuel trim right off to 13.5 at cruise was even better. Can put in your target air fuel ratio at idle , cruise and wide open throttle . I set cruise afr for 13.5 not to sure on numbers exactly but it wasn't pinging.
I set the timing to around 7 degrees idle set the Afr target and went for a lap.
Can't believe I lived with out the center console for so long. I must have used it 17 time just in the short drive.
Also on the list is wire in the a/c idle up trigger input and change to a weld in o2 sensor bung.

FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
gpi
State: VIC

Post by gpi »

wait until you get some decent spark in it and itll be a million times better again 8)
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Good news Clint

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Well done Clint you won't know yourself.
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
FbSTDwagon

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Sniper set up on a red! Looks bloody Awsome!

I was toying with getting a single barrel unit and fitting it to a grey motor but I’ll just play with carbies and annoy myself in the process haha!
Drew
mph

Post by mph »

A drive to rare spares, a freeway cruise and a few back streets, I've noticed the screen goes yellow around engine figure if it's out of the safe zone I guess.
The alternator volts are showing a nice 13.7 when cruising but back at idle specially when I hit the ac on and the twin condenser thermos are running the voltage drops to around 12.2 which should be a little higher as the sniper highlights at those voltages
I'll be ditching the 4 blade radiator fan for twin engine side fans in the near future also will which suck even more. The 4 blade was fine all hot summers until I put the ac condesor in front of it. Now she creeps up on hot days to 206 degrees at the lights. The sniper has outputs to turn on or off 2 fans at different set temps
The alternator on my red motor is from a vr injected 5.0l commy so should be plenty capable to run a few electric accessories I would have thought.
Can you change pulley size on the Holden Bosch alternators to spin a little fast at lower rpm.

FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

You would think if it can keep up with all the crap in a commondoner then it would be able to run your rig - what is the diameter of your drive pulley on the harmonic ? I can check the one on my VS and see if they are comparable ???
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.