WA fb special

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

mph
State: WA

WA fb special

Post by mph »

Gday,
Have been slowly restoring this FB with some mods on the way.
It was white with a brown flash and manual
Have since installed a fresh mild red with the manual took it for a few hot laps then decided to change in a auto so hunting auto parts began, found a auto, lj tail shaft and made a cross member with my old man had the larger tunnel installed.
long story short i met Blacky who helped out with a auto column and other bits and bobs which was a huge help (cheers mate) also the WA club once i get the fb on the road should be good.
I have a lj diff in the shed and some spring perches ready to go on for the steelies to fit under the back , steelies are on the front atm which still needs to drop down some more.

It fresh out of the paint shop so im putting her back together atm, chrome,glass etc then on the front end can go.
The engine bay and front end is fresh just lots of panel shop dust
FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
Trev
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: WA fb special

Post by Trev »

Blacky helped you out, no surprise there!
Looking good mate, .
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

LooKing REAL nice there mate 8)
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Very nice looking bus. You shouldn't have any cooling issues judging by the size of the radiator opening.

I love the green. Is that a factory colour?
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
mph

Post by mph »

Thanks guys
Shes colleen green .
The rad is wide but quit slim good room for a factor fan so I don't need a pesky thermo.
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Mmmmm... Coleen Green is a nice colour. Same as the daily driver in my avatar.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Just what I was thinking when I looked at the photo. I have to run an after market fan with all the pitch rear of the water pump flange between blue six and HG three core.

What radiator and hoses have you used?
EK van on rotisserie
mph

Post by mph »

Harv wrote:Mmmmm... Coleen Green is a nice colour. Same as the daily driver in my avatar.

Cheers,
Harv
When choosing a colour after massive hours of google image etc i came across a colleen green and white flash fb and instantly thought thats the colour, i think the car i seen from google image was from this forum
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
mph

Post by mph »

Errol62 wrote:Just what I was thinking when I looked at the photo. I have to run an after market fan with all the pitch rear of the water pump flange between blue six and HG three core.

Errol the radiator was a mates idea he did in one of his ek utes a while ago, he ordered mine for me i belive its a nissan rad.
The red motor was mated to the factory manual box just for an idea off location as sometimes with red conversions people move the motor and box forward vice versa

(Edit trying to load pic)

Does anyone know if fbs came with a rad overflow bottle?
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

mph wrote:Does anyone know if fbs came with a rad overflow bottle?
Nope, they had a non-recovery radiator. The cap vented out the side of the water neck, and down a small tube that runs down the drivers side of the radiator then dribbles all over the front crossmember.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Errol62 wrote:Just what I was thinking when I looked at the photo. I have to run an after market fan with all the pitch rear of the water pump flange between blue six and HG three core.

I'm running a red wth an engine fan with a three core radiator and it clears. Just.... Works well.

MPH. Cars looking good.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Yeah might try fitting the stock fan when things go back together next time. I was concerned about the engine flexing forward on the mounts under extremely braking. I would really like to run stock tanks with maximum cores between and factory fan. I fitted the three core when I was running a 192 which used to run hot. This was put down to the thinness of the cylinder walls. When I went to the blue the gauge never went over 82C. Then o may need to run a trams cooler in front.
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Any way smick looking ride mph. Love that Coleen green.
EK van on rotisserie
mph

Post by mph »

Errol62 wrote:Yeah might try fitting the stock fan when things go back together next time. I was concerned about the engine flexing forward on the mounts under extremely braking. I would really like to run stock tanks with maximum cores between and factory fan. I fitted the three core when I was running a 192 which used to run hot. This was put down to the thinness of the cylinder walls. When I went to the blue the gauge never went over 82C. Then o may need to run a trams cooler in front.
My old man had the same engine and rad combo and exact same heat issues but in his EH ute ,it seems to be the over sized blocks or could the 3 core flow to much and not have enough time to actually cool down the H2o

My red is fesh rebuilt and only a mild cam and high comp head so it should be fine. im also going to install some x2 carbies and exh manifolds when i get around to it.
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

The more flow the more cooling. I did one trip towing a piano in my six by four for 150km at 80kmh. The gauge sat on 82C the whole way. 82C thermostat fitted. Driving at 110kmh was when the temp would climb up toward the century. Feels strange quoting metric units when talking about fb eks. I think the main issue was that the 192 was a poor quality build. Lesson learnt.

Is the colleen green the original colour and if so can you tell me what the factory trim was?

Cheers
Clay
EK van on rotisserie