FB/EK cable accelerator conversion

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

FB/EK cable accelerator conversion

Post by Harv »

I finally pulled my finger out, and put the triples onto the FB (they have been on the test mule motor for more than a year :oops: ). As the FB is a daily, I waited until there was no demand on the car (no kids sport etc), then reefed the old single Strommie off. All was looking good - fuel line was a neat swap over, manifold was looking OK..... then all hell broke loose.

The Cain triple manifold is pretty tight on the firewall at the passenger's side, but to make matters worse my divorced linkages clashed badly. I can get it to work, but will need to pull off the "swinging curved bar" part of the original accelerator linkage that runs along the firewall (or more to the point, the original triangular bracket that mounts the "swinging curved bar" to the firewall).

I could get cute and put a married linkage on the Cain manifold (and keep the "swinging curved bar"), but after all the drama of making up the divorced linkage, I want to keep it.

Looks like I am going to need to make up a cable conversion. I liked the idea of using the L300 type cable, which has a clevis at one end. The clevis bolts nicely to the section of original accelerator linkage that protrudes from the firewall at floor level. Easy enough to run the cable across, and put a gimble onto my nice new divorced linkage. Trouble is, the original accelerator linkage only has 1/2" of travel. 1/2" of cable travel will not be enough to actuate my divorced linkage... I probably need 1-1.5". The only place I can get that much travel from the original linkage is on the passenger's end of the "curved swinging bar"... which I want to remove.

I figure I need to make up some lever arrangement that lets the cable only travel 1/2", but then multiplies that via a pivot to 1.5". Before I go and reinvent the wheel, has anyone got a working cable conversion (using the original accelerator pedal) that get decent cable travel?

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62
State: SA

Re: FB/EK cable accelerator conversion

Post by Errol62 »

I bend up a mount from 2 mm sheet and bolt to the pedal lever as per photo. Works with a HJ-Z cable. May be a bit of trial and error to get the right travel but works a treat. Image
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Sorry about the road grime. The pedal is on the list to come out.
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Pop riveted to lever arm from memory
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks Errol. That's similar to what I am doing - using the original linkage that pokes through the firewall. Extending it like you have will give it more swing than the original 1/2". This may well be the solution I need.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Harv I did the same thing, extended the link on the pedal by an inch. I also added a made up bracket that bolts under the pivot bar below the master cylinders. It holds the receptacle for the cable socket. I used a VK commodore cable from memory.
Excuse the rough drawing.
The second picture shows the bracket as used on my engine running stand. If you can imagine it rotated to near vertical and mounted on the firewall. The cable would the run up between the master cylinders and across to the carby/s. The two bolt holes align and mount directly to the passenger side mount on the Short pivot bar.
FB throttle cable bracket.jpg
FB throttle cable bracket.jpg (65.03 KiB) Viewed 2443 times
IMGP3235.jpg
IMGP3235.jpg (111.02 KiB) Viewed 2442 times
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks Craig - appreciated. Looks like the pedal extension is the way to go.

I'd hoped to use an L300 cable, but they were a pain in the bum to find. None in the local wreckers, eBay or on the Mitsi forums. I even tried to buy a genuine cable... the local (rather large) Mitsi dealer service department were less than helpful... no VIN, no cable. Couldn't even give me a part number.

In the end, I bought a universal cable from Flexible Drive. It's got a clevis at one end, so mounting to the extended pedal should be as easy as drilling a hole and bolting up the clevis. I figure I'll P-clamp the outer to the firewall (rubber lined P-clamps won't slip much on the cable outer). Now I've just got to dig out a gimble from the spare parts department.

Cheers,
Harv
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Just wondering if anyone has pictures of how they have set up cable throttle bracket and lever on older Stromberg, particularly X2. It's getting hard with having to either move my he a get outlet from the re a r of the head, or else set it up between the two carbs. I've done it before using later carbs that are a already set up. Also did a smaller 2 barrel Holley off a Pontiac, but it's so long ago I can't remember how I did it.

I'm thinking it may be easier to adapt the original linkage at this stage. Th ed pressure is on a bit as I would like to be able to drive it home from the exhaust shop on Tuesday.

FB ute driver, EK van project

EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

More X3 than X2, but you get the idea.

cable throttle.jpg
cable throttle.jpg (757.11 KiB) Viewed 1267 times

I had thought there were more cable setups in the Guide, but suprisingly most of them use the throttle bar across the firewall.

Cheers,
Harv
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Thanks Harv,
That gives me an idea for sure.

FB ute driver, EK van project

EK van on rotisserie
FbSTDwagon

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Hey Harv.

I dicked around with this recently, extended the lever shaft on the accelerator pedal.

What I found if you extend the shaft too far it interferes the cable with the leg of the frame.

I dummied up the assembly on a wreck and did a couple of trial and errors before getting the right clearance for the cable to the frame leg.

Haven’t tested it with motor in place though as yet so I have no idea if it with have the throw required to make the linkages work correctly.

I used the same universal cable that you have

First photo you can see the lever shaft is too long.
Second photo is corrected
Attachments
1A36357A-C4DF-48ED-8A42-FE827F05E8CD.jpeg
1A36357A-C4DF-48ED-8A42-FE827F05E8CD.jpeg (117.38 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
50B418FC-69A8-43A4-886D-6031895E2865.jpeg
50B418FC-69A8-43A4-886D-6031895E2865.jpeg (123.74 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
5E423908-CD61-44BD-91FE-5CC5DFD075F0.jpeg
5E423908-CD61-44BD-91FE-5CC5DFD075F0.jpeg (98.14 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
Drew
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

nice work mate, very tidy.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

FbSTDwagon wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:58 pm What I found if you extend the shaft too far it interferes the cable with the leg of the frame.
Yep, there's not much room in there before the subframe clashes. I can get about 40mm (give or take) longer, which gives 35mm of cable pull.

Cheers,
Harv
mph
State: WA

Post by mph »

How did the cable clearance and function end up does the carb get full throttle.
Do you remember what cable it was.
I want to install a cable to the sniper.
FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
Harv

Post by Harv »

mph wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:53 am How did the cable clearance and function end up does the carb get full throttle.
Do you remember what cable it was.
I want to install a cable to the sniper.
If you use the stock factory lever out of the firewall, you get 12mm cable pull.
If you extend the factory lever, you can make it about 40mm longer. This will give 35mm cable pull.
If you need more than 35mm cable pull, then you need to make up a lever somewhere near the manifold to multiply the pull.

The cable is a universal cable kit from Flexible Drive - part number and bar code over here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3624&p=255472&hilit ... ve#p255472

Cheers,
Harv