harvs ek 327 wagon

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Re: harvs ek 327 wagon

Post by Harv »

mph wrote:nice one mate ,the fb looks imaculate
The FB has had a hard life. It's the only car I have on the road, and I treat it the same way you would treat a VP Commodore daily driver. It gets regular maintenance and stored under cover, but is not treated with kid gloves. It ferries the kids around, tows the trailer, and does the weekly shopping. Seems to know it's way to the Bottlo pretty well too :lol: . The previous owner gave it a closed-door respray, and rebuilt the motor. Dave cut some nasty dogleg rust out of it for me a while ago. The motor has crapped itself twice (timing gear, then the thrust bearings... both times half way up the M1 motorway with a trailer behind it). It's 30-thou over, and blowing smoke despite a re-ring and head overhaul. Gearbox shat itself and got rebuilt. Steering box was ultra sloppy, and got a rebuild. Radiator was full of sludge and got a professional floosh out. Driveshaft and rear axle bearings both shat themselves and were replaced. Has had many rebuilt carbs on it as I fiddle with them. The trim is tired - black plush-pile carpet that I have hosed the kids spew out of, front and rear seats both torn and covered by Mexican blankets, patched headlining. I've got a full set of immaculate unmarked trim to go into it, but am fearful of what daily driving (and the kids) would do to the trim. Front screen leaks like a sieve... I need to find the time to pull the screen and do the headlining at the same time.

Plan to get the EK on the road, then repower the FB with the meth-monster motor (150-odd cubes of alky injected, Norman blown grey).

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
mph
State: WA

Post by mph »

Harv wrote:
mph wrote:nice one mate ,the fb looks imaculate
The FB has had a hard life. It's the only car I have on the road, and I treat it the same way you would treat a VP Commodore daily driver. It gets regular maintenance and stored under cover, but is not treated with kid gloves. It ferries the kids around, tows the trailer, and does the weekly shopping. Seems to know it's way to the Bottlo pretty well too :lol: . The previous owner gave it a closed-door respray, and rebuilt the motor. Dave cut some nasty dogleg rust out of it for me a while ago. The motor has crapped itself twice (timing gear, then the thrust bearings... both times half way up the M1 motorway with a trailer behind it). It's 30-thou over, and blowing smoke despite a re-ring and head overhaul. Gearbox shat itself and got rebuilt. Steering box was ultra sloppy, and got a rebuild. Radiator was full of sludge and got a professional floosh out. Driveshaft and rear axle bearings both shat themselves and were replaced. Has had many rebuilt carbs on it as I fiddle with them. The trim is tired - black plush-pile carpet that I have hosed the kids spew out of, front and rear seats both torn and covered by Mexican blankets, patched headlining. I've got a full set of immaculate unmarked trim to go into it, but am fearful of what daily driving (and the kids) would do to the trim. Front screen leaks like a sieve... I need to find the time to pull the screen and do the headlining at the same time.

Plan to get the EK on the road, then repower the FB with the meth-monster motor (150-odd cubes of alky injected, Norman blown grey).

Cheers,
Harv
WOWzers
Thats quite a serious list of things :shock:
but that list over 56 years isnt to bad i guess :mrgreen:
FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Bit of progress on the wagon. Motor and driveline is in. I got stupid, and forgot the TH350s come in several extensions lengths... the heavy duty TH350 I had built did not match the old one for length, so the driveshaft was 3" too short :oops: . New driveshaft made up. Rebuilt the brakes, and added 20kW by painting the calipers red :lol: .

Wheels came up well:

Brakes bled, so time for the first drive up the driveway - awesome :D . Minor stress test after my old boy and son did some encouragement :lol: :

Still plenty to put back together. Hoping for rego this year, work permitting.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
EK JAY

Post by EK JAY »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: I like it :ebiggrin:
EK JAY SINCE 1990
Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Good work Harv. Itching for some more pics of that Apache Red! :thumbsup:
the rocket
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by the rocket »

looks great
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Looking good Harv, although those Tyres look a little on the slippery side....... :mrgreen:
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Very impressive shot of the engine bay Harv. Snug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
D-MAN

Post by D-MAN »

looks great :thumbsup:
parisian62

Post by parisian62 »

Well done Andrew. Keep chipping away at it :thumbsup:
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
Harv

Post by Harv »

Got plenty to keep me busy on it, though some dramas to sort out.

The door rubbers sat out waaaay too far when I first put them in, despite following all the forum advice. I need to have another go at getting them in.

Got an ATF leak at the casing cooler nipples... they are going to be a bugger to get out now the transmission/engine is in. Tube spanner job.

Got a coolant leak where the Davies Craig thermostat switch goes under the top radiator hose. It uses a little rubber ramp to cushion the bulge, but damn thing doesn't want to seal (took a while to seal on the old motor too). Maybe just patience on that one.

Brake system has no leaks, and works good. Gotta re-wire the brake fail light though now that I understand how the switch wiring works.

The rear door belts don't want to go in... need to have another go at them, will need to trim them to get them to fit the door properly.

Need to find a Commodore 26P rim for the spare, and see how narrow a tire I can get on it... standard tyre won't fit under the rear cargo floor. Would love to get a Commodore 15" space saver, but they are as rare as rocking horse poo.Have tried a few wreckers, and they all laughed at me. If anyone has a 26P rim, or a 15" space saver, give me a yell.

Brake hoses want to rub on the fenderwell extractors. I know I need to use HR-type hose holder springs, but not sure what to tie the springs to yet.

Maplights seem to find a common earth with the domelight, turning on the LED bulbs. Gotta think that one through some more.

Someone has to get under the house with all the spooders and retrieve the bumper bars and windshields. Maybe I can convince Number 1 son.

Plenty to keep me busy.

Cheers,
Harv
EK JAY

Post by EK JAY »

Are the door belts repro ones If so your better off restoring the originals if possible :D
EK JAY SINCE 1990
FATBOY

Post by FATBOY »

i should have a couple of 26 p rims im coming to sydney tomorrow let us no if you want me to bring it ill be going to bella vista for the night then ryde on wednesday
Harv

Post by Harv »

Yep Jay, they are repros. The quality is good, but the fit is not right (at least for the rears). They do not curve to match the rear quarter glass, and appear a bit long.

Cheers Fatboy - would dearly love one of the 26Ps, but I am on the road for work for another week or so :( . Could probably drop them on my front veranda (Greystanes) and I can send you some cash if that would suit? Otherwise I may go the courier route.

Regards,
Harv
FATBOY

Post by FATBOY »

give us a call 0414712441 ill leave at my cousins