Station sedan spare wheel clamp

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

parisian62
State: NSW

Station sedan spare wheel clamp

Post by parisian62 »

Can anyone help with describing or pictures of how a station sedan spare wheel clamp works???

I've seen this thread but have no ideas how it works...? http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... re#p214236

I have one of these...

Has this got to do with anything???

Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
Harv

Re: Station sedan spare wheel clamp

Post by Harv »

Stu,

My wagon has that funky hinged bolt too, so assume it's a genuine GMH fixture.

I don't have the curvy steel plate in my box of bits, though it may have been lost by the previous owner.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

It wasn't so long ago someone was asking about a spare wheel clamp for a wagon , one of our Kiwi friends I think ?

They must be rare - nobody could help out with a pic or a spare one .....
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
parisian62

Post by parisian62 »

Yep this was the thread Blacky viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21297&p=214236&hilit=spare+tyre#p214236
They must be rare - nobody could help out with a pic or a spare one .....
I was at a garage sale late last year at Milperra and a old guy had a few grey engine parts laid out. We got talking...he was a mechanic back in the day and used to drive a FX Holden at Oran Park and elsewhere. He had hung onto a fair bit of stuff. It all found a new home at my place and I found the clamp in amongst all the gear. :thumbsup: I'm still going through it all.
Last edited by parisian62 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Interestingly, the MasterParts manual indicates that the FB/EK wagon clamp is the same as that used on FE-FC wagons, and also FJ sedans. A picture of the genuine FJ clamp (with an aftermarket nut) is here:

http://forums.fxfjholden.com/viewtopic. ... 171#p47171

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Hmmm... the plot thickens. Looks like most FJ's had a clamp similar to Stu's:

Cheers,
Harv
parisian62

Post by parisian62 »

Thanks Andrew. The thing that has me confused is the spring on the threaded rod pushes upwards. To my way of thinking it should push down placing pressure on the spare against the floor. :think:
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Harv

Post by Harv »

From memory, isn't only a really, really weak spring? Perhaps it's only there to stop the bolt dangling down once the plate is removed.

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

One for sale on eBay (not mine):
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fx-Fj-Holden ... 4aef4ab1dc

Cheers,
Harv
texmorton
State: VIC

Post by texmorton »

G'day all,

I bought an FX - FJ spare wheel clamp a few weeks back for my wagon and it does not look like the right one to me, it does not really fit right with the geometry of the clamp all wrong in my opinion. I will take a photo and try and post in the next few days to show you what I mean.

Al
texmorton

Post by texmorton »

Here is a photo of the FX-FJ wheel clamp on my wagon, not right IMO. I think the one that Harv has posted a picture of in a previous post for an FJ sedan looks like a better fit.

Surely someone has an intact wagon with one fitted that can answer this one once and for all...

Thanks again Al
Attachments
FX-FJ spare wheel holder.jpg
FX-FJ spare wheel holder.jpg (68.87 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
parisian62

Post by parisian62 »

Surely someone has an intact wagon with one fitted that can answer this one once and for all...
Agree! C'mon wagon owners...anyone???
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
rosco

Post by rosco »

As I would see it, Stewart - it can possibly only be fitted in 4 orentations.. surely one of them works.
The light spring would be an anti-rattle spring - and also to push the clamp up as the nut is unwound. This operation is similar to that fitted to FB-EK sedan spare wheel clamps. Being a light spring, it only has to lift the clamp. I would suggest that the concept affords removal of the spare wheel without the clamp keeping weighted contact on the wheel.

We also must remember, these clamps were probably designed for 6.40" x 13" ply tyres... using big radials might make all the difference as to why determining the correct orientation is perplexing...

frats,
Rosco
STATION SEDAN
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by STATION SEDAN »

Was ready this topic this morning, had a spare half hour so had a good look at this issue.
My thoughts, for what they are worth :wink34:

The problem is that the setup was for a much narrower tyre than we are all now using, look at the pic on the right, you can see where the original tyre would of went.
but the wider tyre will not sit in the recess, which also the stops the clamp from sitting down in its intended location, the spring is to hold the bolt upright,
also the bolt is shorter than the sedan one by about 8mm. the nut is also a wheel nut.
Just my 2 cents worth. :boringg: I know

Cheers Scott

ImageImage
texmorton

Post by texmorton »

G'day,

Thanks Station Sedan, that looks like the way the clamp is supposed to work. The tyre I am using as a spare I assumed was the right size (its an old cross ply re-tread) as anything too modern wont fit in the wheel well as they are too wide and the wooden cover won't go down properly. I will have to measure my tyre and make sure it is not too tall which makes it too big for the factory clamp to fit right (hope that makes sense). I will measure it and see what I get. thanks again. Al