'Garry' - Garrison Grey EK sedan.

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

SMQQTH
State: NSW

'Garry' - Garrison Grey EK sedan.

Post by SMQQTH »

G'day,

Been on the forum for quite sometime, sticking my head in every now and than to perv on some of the sweet cars on here.

Anyway thought I would start a thread on my current driver.

Garrison Grey EK 1962 special sedan.

Not much of a car really, just another molested EK in need of a lot of work.

What it does have going for it, for me is a good solid base for building something that will have a few of my own touches.

Current motivation comes from a HK 186S, Trimatic.

Week one of picking the car up (February 2014)

A few weeks later, I pulled a spare grill down to polish, 50 hours of work later had something to put back into a car.

Original grill from car vs polished grill

Another week or so after the grill fit up. Removed the mud flaps, kicked on a set of EK hub caps which I had repainted the centres, lowered the front down a little with a set of Kings lowered springs and flipped a leaf in the rear.

Some time between the last shot and this one at the 2014 Berrima 'Grey Pride' run. Got a set of 5 BF goodrich Silvertown Wide whites fitted to a matched set of correct EK rims, had them blasted and 2 packed in Garrison Grey (can not stand white wheels with white walls, two different shades of white always makes one or the other look dirty). Also fitted up new grill bar badge, new lenses all around and some more general tidying up.

From there I had a small window to get a few other things done to the car before the 2014 Cowra FB EK nationals. Only have very few photos of the little jobs down to the car.

One of which was this one.
I had plans of just painting up the grill and radiator support bars. Though something which I had always thought looked funny with a bigger radiator is the shape of the radiator support bar vs the shape of the radiator corners. So after sectioning up a support bar into 7 pieces and welding it back together I ended up with this (before paint) Why? Because I can.

Old radiator support bar out of the car next to the one I sectioned up.

Trial fitted up to the car

Also Had the car at the exhaust shop getting a new tail pipe bent up. Hated the old exhaust tip, location on were it exited and old tail pipe wasn't high enough over the diff (use to bottom out)... bloody Exhausting job!

Went to the Cowra Nationals and had a blast!

Did the 2014 NSW All Holden day, travelled down with 'Brenno' and Steve Mowat (green EJ Wagon) Had a good weekend and scored a few good parts for the EK at the swapmeet.

Than I think I don't think I had turned a spanner on the car until today!
Got side tracked with a few of the cars (EJ sedan {next to the EK in the picture above} and a 64 Pontiac), also had other big problems with life (boring stuff).
Continued collecting parts for the car along the way for Garry, knowing one day I will get a chance to do somethings to the car.

Today however was the day to make some sort of a start.

Got one last photo of the car before it came apart. (worried that it may not go back together again for a long time)

I have known since the week that I had got it that it needed rust repairs to the parcel shelf (went to fit seat belts and realized some metal may need to be replaced to mount them to)

Rear seat came out, what was left of the parcel shelf cover and rear window out.
This is what I first find

After some time scrapping with a screw driver and paint scraper I decided to get the wire wheel on the grinder out... After and hour this is where I got to for the night.

Couple of holes!

Picked this up close to 12 months ago also for this job

Hopefully tomorrow I get a few hours on it and I will keep you updated of where I get to.

Cheers Jon :twisted:
Mick

Re: 'Garry' - Garrison Grey EK sedan.

Post by Mick »

god i hope i can keep the 2 door and just plod along doing bits :thumbsup:
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
parisian62

Post by parisian62 »

:thumbsup: Good stuff Jon. It's amazing how a few small changes such as rims, rubber, height etc can make a difference.
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
space ace

Post by space ace »

Such a great car love the colour :thumbsup:
Pete
Woofto Car Club Member No 1
FB EK Forum Member No: 249
SMQQTH

Post by SMQQTH »

So today was not a very productive day.

Woke up to this!

Left the rear window out of the grey car out side last night

Anyhow, after having a family snow fight and a good thaw out in front of the heater. I made a start on prepping the replacement panel.

Cut over sized

I had than taking to it with my new toy

Result is a nice clean panel to work with.

Did not get much else done after this as visitors had turned up.
Until next time Jon 8)
Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Hi Jon, what make is the sandblaster? Any problems with it? Price? Looking to get one myself.
Great work on the car. I had very similar issues with my parcel shelf and rust holes under the seal lip in pretty much the same spot.
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Hey Jon,
Like your wheels, look cool. Do you have any fingers left after polishing that grille? What donk does it run?

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

It's amazing how good a car can look and still have some hidden nasties.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
SMQQTH

Post by SMQQTH »

Craig Allardyce wrote:Hi Jon, what make is the sandblaster? Any problems with it? Price? Looking to get one myself.
Great work on the car. I had very similar issues with my parcel shelf and rust holes under the seal lip in pretty much the same spot.
Hey Craig,

Sandblaster is from Hare and Forbes badged with there own brand name ''Hafco''. I purchased it just before the end of the financial year on sale for $1870.

http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/S305

Takes a lot of ''free air delivery'' to run it, I have about 570 Litres per minute of FAD running to my cabinet and it is only just enough. (Going to look into fitting it with a smaller media gun).
Happy with the size of the cabinet though which was the important part for me. Fit wheels, control arms, etc in with ease.
SunnyTim wrote:Looks good mate, not sure if you have seen this post from a while back when I did a full section...
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 23&t=11356
Tim
Cheers Tim,

I do remember looking through this thread some time ago. I also was prepared to have to do the whole panel from boot seal channel all the way through to back seat. Once I stripped the car out I decided that it would be easier to just fix the sections that need the attention and my replacement/donner panel had issues of its own in different spots. Just trying to make the best out of what I have available.
In the Shed wrote:Hey Jon,
Like your wheels, look cool. Do you have any fingers left after polishing that grille? What donk does it run?

Regards
Stephen
Hey Stephen,

Have plenty of fingers left, I prep my stainless with wet and dye sand paper before the polishing process. Sand the stainless to around 2000 grit and than polish on a pedestal mounted bench grinder with 200mm polishing mops and different grades of polishing soaps.

Very messy job, here is a picture taken by a friend because she though I looked like someone off the set of Brave Heart.

As for running gear its just a rattly old 186s and trimatic. Its biggest downfall being an out of tune 350 holley. I have a set of triple down draft strombergs waiting for a freshen up before they go on.
Devilrod wrote:It's amazing how good a car can look and still have some hidden nasties.
DR, it is strange how bad a car can be is only a few selected areas. Overall the rest of the car is pretty sound.

Cheers for the replies guys
Jon 8)
SMQQTH

Post by SMQQTH »

Got a little more done today.

Started off by fixing some holes in the window channel

Than moved onto the large Swiss cheese part. I cut the badly affected area out and placed the roughly cut to size/shape repair section in with a few tacks to do a final in place cut to make sure for a good fit.

Than after the trimming cut the section back out ready for some rust proofing before I fully weld in tomorrow... Hopefully

Cheers for now
Jon 8)
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Nice work mate :thumbsup:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
NoMAD
State: WA

Post by NoMAD »

good looking old girl you got there SMQQTH.

any interesting plans for it or just fix the minor (major rust) and enjoy it?

Cheers
Nathan
FB/EK Holden Car Club of W.A. Inc
Foundation Member
SMQQTH

Post by SMQQTH »

Cheers guys :)

NoMad,

I do have a lot of ideas running through my head. The enjoying part for me is working on them and hearing feed back from others when out 'n' about...

I'm a fan of the term 'refined original'... keeping things looking like the factory could of produced it given the right circumstances.

I would like to keep the car on the road and only pull it apart for minimal periods time, I have a EK panel van that needs a full ground up build on that I would like to start on once this sedan is tidied up somewhat.

Fixing this bit rust (other than the fact it needs doing) is all about being able to mount seat belts up so I can put my two kids in the car and than I might get some use out of it.

I have just ordered a full rubber kit for it, so would like to get all the doors and boot shut painted so I can install them and maybe be able to stay dry in wet weather.

For now though trying to keep things simple and achievable.
Jon 8)
SMQQTH

Post by SMQQTH »

Got one side of the rear window area rust repairs finished up.

Started off by using some butt weld clamps to get thing into position.

About half way through welding I needed to pull the panel down to the boot hinge bracket, a couple of self drilling screws used.

Welding all but finished.

Quick grind up. First time I've really tried to metal finish a repair panel with out seeing the welds once ground.

Than for a little cold gal paint until I'm ready to seal it up properly.

That is enough for one weekend, hope to get the other side finished after work during the week.
Cheers Jon 8)
parisian62

Post by parisian62 »

What rust??? Great work :thumbsup:
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer