VH24 Booster into EJ - advice needed + request for parts

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

FJWALLY
State: VIC

Re: VH24 Booster into EJ - advice needed + request for parts

Post by FJWALLY »

I ended up getting the VH44 for a it more effectiveness
Hydroboost still list the VH24 as serviceable item so maybe give them a call but you could be right.
You will find me lost somewhere!
vmx-mxr
State: NSW

Post by vmx-mxr »

From my latest communications with Hydroboost they left me in no doubt VH24's were a no go with them. That spurred me on to find the mob in SA, although it is my intention to fit VH44 also as the FB is getting HR rear and HD king pin front drums for a bit extra braking without the hassle of an engineer (HR disc option)
Dave Mac
tankfairlane00
State: QLD

Post by tankfairlane00 »

Hi,
Brakes SA in Holden hill south australia have all the parts to restore the VH24 brake booster. What they use is a different main diagphram and an adaptor plate but the internals are the same as original.
If you want a new original style main diagphram I do have some left. For about $20 you can purchase from brakes sa the remaining cups and do the restore yourself.

I believe they are a much nicer booster in looks and performace.

Hope this help

Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

I think you mean Power Brakes SA at Gillies Plains (next suburb to Holden Hill). Anyway good to know you can get bits for the VH24. Have to agree they are more authentic booster.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
tankfairlane00

Post by tankfairlane00 »

Hi, Power Brakes SA at Gillies Plains, yes my mistake, havent lived in sa for over twenty years.

Yes the main rubber they use is off a newer model and you would need to purchase their adaptor plate for it to work. They probably should have told you.
Ive got the mould and remanufactured them in the correct rubber, they wont go goowy. Have about 20 left over if anyone is interested, I occassionally list them on ebay for $50, that was to cover my costs not to make a profit. I have 10 boosters of my own. I used the original drawing from PBR in melbourne to make the mould so as per original dimenssions including the attached pipe.

The engineers at pbr said they scrapped the mould because they had mistakenly used the wrong rubber and didnt want to be forced to do a recall.

Hope this helps.
tankfairlane00

Post by tankfairlane00 »

IMG_0701.JPG
IMG_0701.JPG (1014.29 KiB) Viewed 556 times
IMG_0702.JPG
IMG_0702.JPG (779.02 KiB) Viewed 556 times
gpi
State: VIC

Post by gpi »

tankfairlane00 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:00 am
The engineers at pbr said they scrapped the mould because they had mistakenly used the wrong rubber and didnt want to be forced to do a recall.

Hope this helps.
This is reprehensible.
tankfairlane00

Post by tankfairlane00 »

Hi,
Yep they did make mistakes back then. They forgot to allow for the vacuum sucking the engine oil fumes back to the booster when you turn off the engine and affecting the main diaphragm rubber. Basically there was two rubber types those that were external and those that came in contact with brake fluid. Unfortunately should have used the chemical resistant type, they used the wrong one. That's also why they ask you to instal as high as possible under the bonnet.
Anyone that has a main diaphragm shape that doesn't look like the pictures I posted has been affected. The rubber stretches to the shape of the booster and become soft and stretchy therefore not transferring the vac to the piston properly.
reprehensible isn't the word I would have used, criminal would be better. Is their eyes it wasn't dangerous because you don't loose your brakes just the boost.
In general PBR parts are quality made until they sent all the moulds to india a few years ago, I doubt they are as well made.
tankfairlane00

Post by tankfairlane00 »

Tim,
Im originally from SA and Vic so dont know any tankfairlane people up here. Have heard his name. Noone up here knows I have quite a collection of parts as I dont sell anything.
Ive only got two tankfairlanes now as I cut my collection down from six, both have very low milage. Plus other models. My daughter caught the bug and has alot of cars of her own so I didnt save any space when I cut down. We have a car graveyard for the overflow.

Got a mate looking for a 70's C$ tranny, funny how most people threw them out and now they are rare. Ive got alot of the rare stuff like the boosters that everyone get told cannot be fixed. You may have guessed I'm a big fan of them.

Kevin
tankfairlane00

Post by tankfairlane00 »

Ask tony about the fairlane 700, the rarest fairlane that almost made it to market in the US. They used the eclipse emblem on the front guards etc.
Ours were all based on the canadian meteor so we didnt get that emblem.
Kevin