VH24 Booster into EJ - advice needed + request for parts

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

DanFranko
State: NOT ENTERED

VH24 Booster into EJ - advice needed + request for parts

Post by DanFranko »

Hi forum brain trust :tongue:

I have bought a VH24 off evilpay and intend to install it into the EJ. I know it wont do all that much extra for braking, but i like the idea of another accessory under the bonnet!

Anyway - a question: i know that the VH24 is mounted facing the firewall in the EK. In the EH for the next VH model (40?) it is then mounted 90 degrees to the firewall and instead faces the chassis and uses two brackets. I assume that in the EJ i would mount it the same as the EK - my logic would be that the mounting position would carry through the same until the EH. Can any one advise if this is the case?

Another question - has anyone recently had any luck getting service parts for the VH24? I know they are very hard to come by.

Lastly - can anyone help out (or suggest where to obtain) the brake line tee piece and the vacuum piece that screws into the manifold? Would someone perhaps have these spares lying around that they wish to sell?

Thanks in advance

Dan :smile2:
Harv
State: NSW

Re: VH24 Booster into EJ - advice needed + request for parts

Post by Harv »

Righto Dan, let's see what we can do.

Assembly diagram (with thanks to Terry from Hydoboost):

Installation destructions for them modern EJ/EH things:

Parts for these are painful. Hydroboost used to overhaul them, though had ceased to do so when I last spoke to them about 12 months ago. The diaphragms are fickle. and age badly - the split, giving you a vacuum leak. Someone has a set of moulds, and was remaking them... sadly they no longer seem to be, and the moulds were sold off to someone in Queensland.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
DanFranko

Post by DanFranko »

Hi Harv,

thanks so much for the advice and diagrams - they will be very helpful!

i have sourced a NOS diaphragm - so i will have that if the one on mine turns out to be stuffed (i have no idea on internal condition yet). Is the diaphragm usually the main issue with these boosters, or are there other service parts i may likely need?

I might give hydroboost a call and see if they have the ancillaries i need - new brake lines (i assume would be the same for FB EK) and the vacuum tap in the manifold.

At least it gives me something new to play around with! :smile2:

Dan
DanFranko

Post by DanFranko »

So i had a chat with Hydroboost - pretty much as Harv confirmed. The power diaphragm are NLA, but being reproduced in QLD. The smaller assembly control valve is something that is also a problem and NLA. Anyway i shall wait and see how mine is...hopefully if there is an issue its with the power diaphragm.

I have found this in Ebay from our friend:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MANIFOLD-VAC ... 27c31fb24e

i assume this is what i need to tap the vacuum, but does anyone have a source for a cheaper version!?! :ughh:

Perhaps this: https://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespare ... uct=BVH001

Thanks

Dan
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Hi Dan
Geeeeez I think we are in the wrong business when I see that fitting on eBay!! Bloody hell.

Just thought I'd mention Power Brakes here in SA Who have always been very helpful and do postage no probs. Worth a try.

https://www.powerbrakes.com.au/index.ph ... 2004199908

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
DanFranko

Post by DanFranko »

Thanks Stephen and Tim. I prefer the forward facing position so I will run with that. Will be interesting to see the condition of the one I bought and hopeful it all goes smoothly
Nibble&Sick

Post by Nibble&Sick »

Hi guys really want to fit a booster to the EK. I know that the VH24 is the original option. Is there any issue with going with a VH44 performance wise as the VH24 is smaller is the peddle feel better? Drove the car half round the country and didn't mind the brakes its just the peddle effort day after day. Really don't want touchy brakes and we would like to take on the other half of the country next year if all goes well, with a light tear drop so thinking electric brakes on it when I get round to building one.

Would love a original teardrop to do up if anyone knows of one for sale.

Cheers
Nick
Nibble&Sick

Post by Nibble&Sick »

Thanks Tim
I have seen a lot of new cheap VH44 on ebay but am weary of the quality. Will have a chat to hydroboost to see what terry can do and if he can ship me down the bits.

Nick
FJWALLY
State: VIC

Post by FJWALLY »

Looking to do this mod myself at some point - Like the idea of the VH24 but are they effective or just for show?
I'd rather get a VH44 if they are a far superior unit but being period to the 61 ek the VH24 is more historically correct.

I see some PBR VH44 units for about 390 on eBay - around 100$ cheaper than earlybitz - are they decent quality?
You will find me lost somewhere!
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Just spoke with Kerry at Hydroboost and he is saying parts are NOT available anymore for the VH24 so they no longer repair or refurbish them - VH44 is the solution.

They can hide them under the guard to maintain the correct visual in the engine bay and have even added a dummy restored outer VH24 to give the impression the VH24 is working - thats a pretty neat idea.
Harv

Post by Harv »

FJWALLY wrote:Looking to do this mod myself at some point - Like the idea of the VH24 but are they effective or just for show?
I've driven my FB both with, and without, a fully reconditioned VH24. There is a difference in pedal effort reduction, but it is not huge.

At the end of the day, braking performance is not improved at all by a booster - all they do is reduce pedal effort. A booster will not make a drum-braked FB/EK stop like a modern vehicle.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
vmx-mxr

Post by vmx-mxr »

I just found this thread and thought it worth an update.

It is posted elsewhere here but this ties in with the thread of them being hard to get parts for. The company below has sorted that so in the event you want a period correct booster help is on hand. Harv is correct regarding the fact that the booster will not compensate poor brakes. Boosters just assist and reduce the effort assuming the braking system is 100%

www.powerbrakes.com.au/brake-component-restorers

As at time of submitting this, for a VH24 booster, they charge $640 for a TOTAL refurb inside and out including vapour blasting, replating, re-sleeving and supplying all parts

Ian or Carl - both great to deal with

Cheers

Dave Mac
Last edited by vmx-mxr on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Thanks Dave,
I have dealt with Power Brakes and always had good service from them. They have parts lists for the FB / EK both new and recond (sleeved in s/steel) on their web page.

Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Been good to deal with more than 30 years. Reckon it was Carl helped me out in the eighties.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

I got mine from Hydroboost in Echuca - great to deal with and considerably cheaper - they also supply mounting brackets for under guards or engine bay.

http://hydroboost.com.au