camper/ reclining bench seats

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Gingy
State: SA

camper/ reclining bench seats

Post by Gingy »

Just mulling some ideas around and wonder if anyone has converted a bench seat to a recliner for an FB. My ex had one of these seats in his HG Kingswood, wonderful times at the drive in sitting in the back seat with our legs stretched out in front of us. His was factory fitted, but wonder how hard would it be to convert a standard bench seat. Obviously need rails, has anyone done this? Was it a nightmare? Would be great to have a reclining bench in Martha, you never know I might take the ol' Man (series 2) and go parking up at Windy Point!!!!
Blacky
State: WA

Re: camper/ reclining bench seats

Post by Blacky »

they were made to suit FB/EKs Gingy, you should be able to pick one up without too much trouble, they pop up on here for sale every now and then or try Gawler wreckers.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Gingy

Post by Gingy »

Thank you, will keep my eyes peeled for one, and will try Gawler wreckers too. :D
Gonedaddy
State: VIC

Post by Gonedaddy »

I had a lay-back bench sitting in the shed for ages that I planned to re-upholster and install. The only problem with it, was that it didn't have a forward locking mechanism and if you had any kind of sudden stop or accident, it would collapse forwards, so I never installed it and sold it on. Not sure if they were all like that, but it put me off the idea permanently.

Cheers

Tim
Gingy

Post by Gingy »

We had one in the HG that didn't do that, but then it was in the "future" and had evolved! Worth checking that out. Also wondering if the mechanism from something modern could be adapted? Trouble is I cannot even find pictures of the layback mechanism and I need to visualise it so that I can give the idea 10 coats of "looking at" as my dear old Dad used to say...
Gonedaddy
State: VIC

Post by Gonedaddy »

Gingy wrote:give the idea 10 coats of "looking at" as my dear old Dad used to say...
Great saying!
Gingy

Post by Gingy »

well its all in the prep work :hehhh"