Weekend cruiser

Looking for a new daily driver, the next project, or maybe a parts car? try here first...

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

D-MAN
State: NOT ENTERED

Weekend cruiser

Post by D-MAN »

Hi Everyone,
I am after a FB (preferably) or EK for a weekend toy..take the 4 kids to sport and to keep my idle hands busy tinkering away
I have been following the market for awhile but can't seem to make any sense of it! Prices are all over the shop, and some sellers are clearly delusional.
What sort of money are you looking at for a decent fb/ek? Is $10-12k enough?
I am located in Sydney and would never buy sight unseen.
Was thinking of checking this out but it is a little over my budget.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1960-Holden- ... 339c94c75d
Any comments or replies would be appreciated.
Cheers
Damien
Devilrod
State: VIC

Re: Weekend cruiser

Post by Devilrod »

Yep prices are all over the shop. A lot of delusional people out there when it comes to value. $10-$12k should get you what you are after and satisfying the tinkering need too. Most likely anything you buy will require something.

That one in the link looks clean enough go have a look and make an offer.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
DOLLER60

Post by DOLLER60 »

Hey Damo
Because its out of a car yard, ide spin them a hard luck story and offer 10k.
Whats the worst they can do? knock it back??
Wait a week and offer 10.5K, ect ect.........................
DOLLER60

Post by DOLLER60 »

giddyupmark

Post by giddyupmark »

The FB you are talking about was on car point for ages and if I remember was selling for around 19k.
It was a private sale at the time and I even remember the car in the ad with photos of it under the harbour bridge.
Maybe the guy gave up and traded it in, but I must say it looks pretty good.
Good luck with it or finding another one.
It takes time as I am still searching for an original FB special wagon after nearly 3 years.
Mick
State: NSW

Post by Mick »

yor budget should get you a decent car
far far to many people are dreaming i think due to a couple of factors people saw cars advertised for the unrealistic figures of a couple of years ago of 25-40k and think well mine should sell easily for 15-20k when in reality they have an 8-12k car they don't realise those cars didn't sell an advertised price and a selling price are 2 very different things, then there are the people that had more money than sense that just had to have "one of those cool old cars" paid too much and then realised hey this old thing don't drive anything like my commodore and can't bare to lose money because they paid to much, then there are kinda the same people that did a resto and way over commited paying people to do everything and think they'll get there money back or a big chunk of it
it does suck and can quickly chew through yor money but ya really gunna have to be prepared to travel
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
D-MAN

Post by D-MAN »

Thanks for the replies .... looks like that fb sold already will keep on looking
D-MAN

Post by D-MAN »

Checked out a couple and gee the money the sellers wanted was ridiculous.... both had rust and the sound coming from the diff of one of them was deafening and the guy tried to tell me they all sound like that! This may take longer than I thought :lol:
Do these FB's and Ek's advertised at over or around $15k ever sell????
Mick

Post by Mick »

based on what you see week in and week out I would say not, though a couple have
was at a swap meet today and the only 1 decent thing there was a REALLY REALLY nice '63 chev impala one of the best I've seen in a long time asking price $18,000 ono unless having an FB/EK was a must do you wouldn't in yor wildest dreams part with anything over 10k for an FB/EK compared to this thing, I am really glad I got my 2 door back but today wished I hadn't. if I was still looking I reckon had we been able to have struck a deal i'de be driving the chev monday 8) oh well wasn't to be :(

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Cal

Post by Cal »

Here's a cheap weekender, going by the price range Shannons quoted.

very low mileage 8)

http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/lot ... M7LdGeIo-U
D-MAN

Post by D-MAN »

Yeah I saw that.... seems that the price guide has double in the last week was originally listed between $12-16k
Cal

Post by Cal »

Damn
Mick

Post by Mick »

wonder what happened there :? :shock: maybe a couple of phone calls possably even from previous owners telling them they are ruining the value of these great old cars :lol: but honestly that is more like what i'de expect to see on that car
they're still around got told about one today that unfortunately a bit of a wheeler dealer got his hands on 5k just out of rego replaced 1 globe to pass pink slip put 12 months on it and sold it for 9k

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
WayneXG95

Post by WayneXG95 »

Still be interesting, however you price it it's still classic car money and old Holdens ain't classics. :crazy:
Whatever the guideing range it's still "No Reserve" :D
Wayne Chambers
President
FB EK Holden Car Club of N.S.W
D-MAN

Post by D-MAN »

Going by the Shannons Auction guide $20-$28k for an EK that according to the pre-purchase inspection report needs a new exhaust, has an engine and steering box oil leak, needs new tyres, the hand brake fixed, panel damage to left hand side and finally various chrome work pitted.... gee I may have to buy a &*#@! :lol:

http://www.shannons.com.au/library/repo ... /Lot39.pdf