Steering Column Removal

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

ek wazza
State: NSW

Steering Column Removal

Post by ek wazza »

how do I get the column out? Does the steering knuckle come through the floor? Can I take the steering wheel off and pull the column out through the floor into the engine bay?
Building an EK Special Sedan 304 T700, Rodtech F/end with disc's front & rear, and driving an EK Special Sedan Grey with Trimatic and the rest stock
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Steering Column Removal

Post by Blacky »

yank the pitman arm off the output shaft on the steering box and the whole shebang comes up through the floor mate :wink:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
ek wazza

Post by ek wazza »

Thanks Blacky. I was kind of hoping I didn't have to take the pitman arm off to get it through.
Building an EK Special Sedan 304 T700, Rodtech F/end with disc's front & rear, and driving an EK Special Sedan Grey with Trimatic and the rest stock
holdenutechick

Post by holdenutechick »

If it won't budge due to rust like mine, (mine was rusted on tight to the point I thought it wasn't supposed to come off lol there's numerous threads where I asked how to remove it and complaining about it lol) invest in a decent hammer, something two pronged and wedge shaped, lube spray (wd40 didn't cut it,) saturate in lube, place wedge on column above pitman and hit the F out of it, it should push the pitman off
~Allison
My project:
'60 Holden FB ute

Other family projects:
Mum's '54 FJ Holden Special Sedan
Farm Bedford grain truck
Harv

Post by Harv »

With a bit of patience, the column will come through the floor with the pitman arm still attached.

My pitman arm was run up the splines so far that I bend the puller (1/2" thick casting). After getting the column out, I put nine tonnes on it in the shop press... bent the press plates.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
ek wazza

Post by ek wazza »

Thanks everyone for the input. I got it out with the steering wheel on and the pitman arm up through the floor
fe350chev
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by fe350chev »

Bastard of a thing.
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Harv wrote: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:47 am With a bit of patience, the column will come through the floor with the pitman arm still attached.

My pitman arm was run up the splines so far that I bend the puller (1/2" thick casting). After getting the column out, I put nine tonnes on it in the shop press... bent the press plates.

Cheers,
Harv
Need to take steering column out to put reconditioned shaft in Wilma. Is the option of removing up through the floor available even if the seat is still in place?
Sucker for a rusty bomb
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Shop manual says to remove steering wheel, gearshift lever, indicator stalk, pitman arm, front floor mat, upper and lower firewall covers around the column, and remove the column out the engine bay.

Mind you, I have my suspicions that the steering column goes in before the front subframe during assembly, and if not, then certainly before body drop onto engine/transmission/front suspension.

Steering column removal is a p.i.a. whichever way you do it. Everything gets in the way.

Rob
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Thanks Rob, but that was not what I asked. My question is about what is involved to take column out from inside cab, not through engine bay as is described by the manual. Cheers b
Sucker for a rusty bomb
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

I did pull the column out of an HR through the cabin once, but that may well have been after an engine-out.

(Goes and look in FC's engine bay . . .)

The front seat will have to come out. But also, the lower gearshift lever will get in the way. The throttle crossbar and hydraulic pipes will have to be moved out of the way. The distributor will be a nuisance. If you can get the lower gearshift lever back through the hole in the firewall, then the column will pretty much have to be laid on the floor to get the box through the firewall, just leaving the problem of how to get the sector shaft part through (rotate column while moving top end towards passenger's side?) And I forgot about the pedals too.

I rate chances of success as low, and frustration/damage factor very high.

Rob
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Specially in a ute

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

I will see if I can make enough space by undoing the box bolts to remove the column shaft from the bearing adjuster end. Will post photos of this job, however it goes. 😀
Sucker for a rusty bomb