FB219 Standard StationSedan

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Woody01
State: WA

FB219 Standard StationSedan

Post by Woody01 »

1961 Holden FB Standard StationSedan
Body - FB219-5249-A
Trim - 508-812
Paint - 585-9692
Subframe - FB12348P

The Story

April 1961, Holden was having a 'Run Out Sale' of the FB's to make way for the new EK's. They were offering 100 pounds off to anybody who wanted an FB.
The original owner, made the journey down from Geraldton, Western Australia, to Perth, and purchased this wagon for the sum of 1,200 pounds.
He drove it back up the coast, where it lived for the next 3-4 years, before the whole family moved down to Perth, the car received new number plates with this move, and they are the same numbers it wears today.

January 1972, the wagon was sold to the original owners son who was 18.
He used this wagon as a daily driver, raising his family, teaching his kids to drive in it, and eventually retiring it to an every now and then car, used to carry hardware supplies, wheelbarrows etc.
After 42 years of ownership, at the age of 60, he has decided to move the wagon on.

July 2014, Gaz and I made the trip up from Mandurah to Stirling in my EK Sedan, we pulled into the street and as we came around the bend, there she sat, the Colleen Green wagon. First impressions were that it didn't look to bad (from the other side of the road), we got out and had a closer look.
You can tell this wagon has been used in its 53 years, but it has been looked after when it has needed it, there is a log book dating back 20 years with maintenance work carried out on the old wagon, from major work down to when it was washed and polished. As well as some early records of work carried out dating back to 1970 in the owners manual.
The underneath looked clean, still has original floor pans, as well as original shocks! Just one door with a bit of a rust issue, but nothing too hard to fix i don't think.
There has been some repair work done to it years ago, but this seems to have been carried out to a fairly decent standard.
The interior is tired, the door trims are no good, the bench seats have been sewn back together with fishing line, like frankenstein, the hood lining has rips, and theres scratches on the paint. The clinker grey on the dash has exploded into a million little paint chips.
It has a sun visor, and a heater, there is a Phillips AM Radio fitted in the dash, as well as a Smiths Temp gauge.
Some work that was carried out over the years:
- Engine Reconditioned @ 103,800 miles
- Engine Reconditioned @ 280,680 miles
- Gearbox Reconditioned twice
- Rust fixed and whole car respray July 1984

Sure this wagon has seen a few miles, and is needing some lovin', but this thing has some character to it. I think it's pretty cool to get a fair chunk of the cars history with it, so i was sold. An amount was agreed on that we were both happy with, papers were signed, and the keys handed over.
Back onto the freeway in the new wagon, Gaz following in the sedan, southbound to Mandurah. It made the drive home no worries, stretched its legs and blew out some cobwebs and it ran pretty well.
Now its tucked up at home, waiting to receive some much needed attention. First on the list, a good clean and hunting for some parts!!!

If anyone can fill me in with anymore info on FB Standards, what its missing, how many built etc, that would be awesome!

Today i ripped the seat covers off, Pulled the door cards off so i can Fish Oil inside the doors, and gave it a quick polish by hand, will get some new pads for the buffer and see how it goes...
and i couldn't keep my dog out of it - he loves it
Woody - UMX-282
FB EK Club WA
Foundation Member # 138
Jason

Re: FB219 Standard StationSedan

Post by Jason »

Looks like a great find, I saw this car on gumtree last week and would have loved to grab it myself but I've been smashed with a few bills lately.

It's great to see it go to someone in the club, look forward to having a squizz over it at one of our meetings.

Good stuff, well done
Cheers

Jason

Post by Blacky »

Nice pickup Woody - you must have been quick to beat Jamie to it !!!!!
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
WayneXG95
State: NSW

Post by WayneXG95 »

I got a Woodie reading this! :lol:

That was wrong in so many ways...sorry... :mrgreen:
Good purchase.. :clap:
Wayne Chambers
President
FB EK Holden Car Club of N.S.W
Harv

Post by Harv »

Nice wagon!

Good to see that it has the optional NASCO "subwoofer" in the back :lol: . Not sure if it's there for the radio, or as an early type of Trunk Monkey 8) .

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Plenty of character all right! I bet she could tell some stories.
Man that dog looks quite possessive about the car! Gives me an idea about another thread...........
Good pick up Woody.
WesternWagon

Post by WesternWagon »

Cleaned up nice mate, ill send ya Shaun,s number for the seats 8)

Gazza
Member : Holden Car Club WA.
:ASRF Member
: Secretary FB/EK holden Club of WA.
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Score!!! Fix the seats and the rust in the door and I'd call it done. :thumbsup:
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Mick

Post by Mick »

cool i dam near flew over to buy that car and sounds like i should have, but it's like with all cars do you trust what the seller is telling you??? :? i'de have probly wrecked though by shoving a V8 in it :twisted: :lol:

OHH and those certainly are some well loved seats :shock:
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Woody01

Post by Woody01 »

Jason wrote:Looks like a great find, I saw this car on gumtree last week and would have loved to grab it myself but I've been smashed with a few bills lately.

It's great to see it go to someone in the club, look forward to having a squizz over it at one of our meetings.

Good stuff, well done
Yeah, im supposed to be saving for a trip to hawaii at the end of they year...but the way i looked at it is, it will save me a lot of time and money on my other wagon project, now to decide what to do with that.

Will be keeping an eye out for a little hula girl for the dash while im over there.

Few bits to tidy up, but looking forward to getting it up to one of the meetings or events.
Blacky wrote:Nice pickup Woody - you must have been quick to beat Jamie to it !!!!!
Haha i was thinking the same thing !!
Harv wrote:Nice wagon!

Good to see that it has the optional NASCO "subwoofer" in the back :lol: . Not sure if it's there for the radio, or as an early type of Trunk Monkey 8) .

Cheers,
Harv
Craig Allardyce wrote:Plenty of character all right! I bet she could tell some stories.
Man that dog looks quite possessive about the car! Gives me an idea about another thread...........
Good pick up Woody.
I use him as an anti-theft device... only having the door lock on the passengers side makes it a pain in the ass to lock up haha
Cant walk out to the car without him sprinting over to it, because he wants to get inside :lol: crazy dog!
Devilrod wrote:Score!!! Fix the seats and the rust in the door and I'd call it done. :thumbsup:
Mick wrote:cool i dam near flew over to buy that car and sounds like i should have, but it's like with all cars do you trust what the seller is telling you??? :? i'de have probly wrecked though by shoving a V8 in it :twisted: :lol:

OHH and those certainly are some well loved seats :shock:
Thats the plans so far DR, get it looking cleaner, abit lower to the ground, maybe some 14" black rims with thin whites...

He said he had a few eastern staters call up about it, he thought they were crazy, "its a long way to come have a look at it" he said.
I know what you mean about believing what the seller says, Gaz and I went over this car from top to bottom, and it all seems pretty honest, its not perfect, but its doesn't have any fresh repairs.
wreck it with a V8 ???? Its on the cards. :twisted:
WesternWagon wrote:Cleaned up nice mate, ill send ya Shaun,s number for the seats 8)

Gazza

Cheers mate, ill go around and see him - went for a quick drive but couldn't see any trim shops, thought he must be tucked away somewhere...
Thanks heaps again for taking the time out of your break to come and look at it with us - really appreciate it!
Now get stuck into your wagon :lol:
Woody - UMX-282
FB EK Club WA
Foundation Member # 138
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Woody01 wrote:
Will be keeping an eye out for a little hula girl for the dash while im over there.
You can get some really good ones over there. They even have some that are on the large size which really stand out and I don't mean height wise, kicking myself now for not grabbing any.....
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

This is one of the Chubbier Hula girls
Attachments
image-4288150447.jpg
image-4288150447.jpg (582.99 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
EKDV8
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by EKDV8 »

Blacky wrote:Nice pickup Woody - you must have been quick to beat Jamie to it !!!!!
I was nearly tempted and found it very difficult to restrain myself from having a look at it,woody caught me napping on this one!! :smile22:
foundation member #12 fb/ek holden club of WA
Woody01

Post by Woody01 »

Yeah I think finding good condition standard trim will be near on impossible! The plans are to trim it in as close to original as possible, same pattern on the seats and get the patterns seen into the door trims.
I think that will be as good as it gets for the time being...
Yep I noticed that was missing, I was hoping he had it stashed in the shed or something, but he said he had a little accident, sent it into the shop and it came out one front guard mould lighter....

I'm on the look out for one!!
Woody - UMX-282
FB EK Club WA
Foundation Member # 138
Woody01

Post by Woody01 »

Have been busy cleaning up the wagon over the last few days...

Clay barred the car first
Gave it a once over with the buffer, using some meguiars #2
Then gave it a good going over with some meguiars #7
Still need to put a wax on to protect it a bit more...but I think it's come up pretty well, and the paint looks a lot cleaner.

Also chucked the Mexican blankets over the seats, to make them a bit nicer to sit on, while I save to get them re-done...

Still have a lot of cleaning to do on it, but I think it's looking better already! Will keep you updated...
Woody - UMX-282
FB EK Club WA
Foundation Member # 138