Tune up day 31st may

Club Runs, meetings and other news for fans of FBs & EKs in Qld.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky, QLD Mod

jmaddalena
State: NOT ENTERED

Tune up day 31st may

Post by jmaddalena »

For all you folks going to the nationals in Cowra there will be a tune up/ maintenance day held on Saturday the 31st of May. this will be held at CB Automotive 13 Old Pacific Highway at Yatala. I will be there at about 7.00 am. If you are going to do anything please bring all your bits and pieces . Nobby at Beenleigh bearings has a heap of parts for our old girls if needed.
i will bring a bbq down for a sausage sizzle after all the hard work is over.

Thanks Jeff Maddalena
secretary Qld fb ek holden car club inc.
rosco
State: VIC

Re: Tune up day 31st may

Post by rosco »

Good work, Jeff.

Probably suggest that most could probably benefit with access to a dwell meter and a timing light.
These old buses are almost guaranteed to run "out of tune".. but, for the sake of a sweet running motor - checking the dwell and timing might add to the "sweetness"...

I'd probably be more pointed to checking oil levels - motor, gearbox/auto - and diff, brake and clutch reservoirs, tyre pressures and any "noted" tyre wear....

I'd further suggest for spare fuses, the bottom radiator hose and a spare fan belt...

You can go stupid in carrying an extra "car" (as I do - if anyone needs spares) .... but the above should take up what is likely to arise...

Perhaps some engine oil, and a 5lt container (full) of fuel, a few litres of water might abieve an errant foreclosure en route.......

No-one is going to travel around the country for any Nats.. 1,000 km's limit for most or near-abouts.... 1,500 for some perhaps - but they know they are up for a trek and will prepare accordingly.........

That blasted timing gear..... it's the "one" we all dread..... if it "snuffs" it - you're a goner... and the sooner you fit an alloy one the better...
and.... arising from that - those who believe the old grey can rev higher than 30mph in 1st, 50 mph in second and whatever you can get in 3rd is OK - I'd seriously suggest you get rid of that fibre timing gear... you!! - are on very troubled ground!

frats,
Rosco
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

rosco wrote:No-one is going to travel around the country for any Nats.. 1,000 km's limit for most or near-abouts.... 1,500 for some perhaps - but they know they are up for a trek and will prepare accordingly.........

frats,
Rosco
1500 kms doesnt even get me to the SA border Rosco !!!! :shock: :shock:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
rosco

Post by rosco »

Blacky wrote:
rosco wrote:No-one is going to travel around the country for any Nats.. 1,000 km's limit for most or near-abouts.... 1,500 for some perhaps - but they know they are up for a trek and will prepare accordingly.........

frats,
Rosco
1500 kms doesnt even get me to the SA border Rosco !!!! :shock: :shock:
Sorry Blacky - I might have missed your intended plans.... are you driving over?.... if so, wow! - that's committment.... dibs to you!
I should have posted "drive" in the above message...
We've done some big'uns... Tenterfield from Melbourne was our longest 2 day haul...

frats,
Rosco
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

No I am cheating - the ute left last week , is on its way to Adelaide on the train, we fly in on Monday and then drive to Cowra via the Barossa valley . We are then driving to Sydney and storing the ute until September when we will fly in and then drive to Nagambie in Victoria for the Cranksters weekend then drive home .
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

rosco

Post by rosco »

Adelaide to Cowra is still a biggie, Blacky...
I know there's a group who are taking 3 days to attend from Mt. Gambier.....
I suppose the NSW (Sydney) members get benefits from being located centrally for most national events...
Qld'ers make the run down to Vic and quite a few trekked down to Mt. G a couple of years back...
But I still believe most who attend long distance clock up somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500 each way for a nats.

I recall Gary drove down from Darwin with our Vic president driving a second car down for him.... that's a "big'un"....

frats,
Rosco
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

it will be about a 5500km round trip in total Rosco ......

jmaddalena

Post by jmaddalena »

maybe you guys can get a room together? any Queenslanders got anything to say......sorry Blacky and Rosco cu there. :ewink:
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Guess that WAS a fair old hijack :oops:

Rebuilder

Post by Rebuilder »

Thanks Jeff, we will see you Saturday morning early.
We appreciate your time and amenities .
Tony and Sally.
Brian Westlake

Post by Brian Westlake »

Fi and I will be there fairly early with pink FB and a list of stuff to do and check also. Thanks mate. Clutch pedal comes out like a honda accord now and Blow Through Heater is warm and toasty.
Tony.
jmaddalena

Post by jmaddalena »

Most of my stuff is done.just a little bit of paint to put on and one of those door rubber things. Gbox and clutch works a treat now,that cluster gear was stuffed so I'm glad I rebuilt it now :D . glad your heater works tony I will have to sit in your car to defrost for a few minutes. I'm just going to throw mollie in the air and give her some grease.cu Saturday

Jeff
rosco

Post by rosco »

Don't forget to check your spare and pressure.
Many of us have found that carrying a small yellow bottle of "Rainex" has proved invaluable.... blasted wipers do nothing over 100 km/h....
For those not running a fuel filter between the pump and carby - unscrew the pump bowl and give it a good clean-out...
Spare fuses are something often not carried until needed..
The bottom radiator hose is a definite spare - the top one might as well be carried in the same box.
Tools basically are up to those who need to carry them.... check your jack works!
A timing light is invaluable for any trip with a vehicle using points...
Add to that, a small piece of fine emery, a clean cloth and some Isopropyl Alcohol (no, Mini - not for drinking!) that stuff makes a breeze out of cleaning points.

You can load your bus up with enough to stop it if you get carried away.... but a litre of oil, some water, brake fluid, fan belt and radiator hoses will mostly cover what is likely to go wrong... timing gear excepted.
A few 1m lengths of insulated wire and a sharp knife will get you out of most electrical issues..
And don't forget a good torch/handlamp/lantern... and keep your phone charged!

The safest way to travel is with others...

If anyone gets stuck at Cowra - give me a yell... you'd be surprised at what I carry on a road trip...

In convoy - find out who uses the most fuel/distance and judge your needs on them...

See y'all in just over a week...

frats,
Rosco
Brian Westlake

Post by Brian Westlake »

Hey Jeff. On Saturday I'm going to take out my 40mm lowering blocks cause all the stuff I'm bringing to Cowra will put the arse of my bomb on the deck as its a bit low now with nothing in it. I also want to fix my horn and maybe pump in a little grease etc. Thanks again for making this place available.
Tony PartsBox
Brian Westlake

Post by Brian Westlake »

Hey Rosco, I will get some Rainex. I just swapped my slow electric wiper motor for another one just as slow "angryy: so I'll bring the old one too. See you there.
Tony SlowSweep