Tow Bar

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Bluehaze
State: NOT ENTERED

Tow Bar

Post by Bluehaze »

Any one out there have any design ideas re the fabrication of a tow bar for an FB sedan. I see the ends can attach to where the rear bumper bolts up. I'm looking for some pics if convenient. Thanks. You guys are the best.
Harv
State: NSW

Re: Tow Bar

Post by Harv »

This may help... though the measurements are a pain in the bum:
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... owbar+harv

Can still buy new towbars from Aranda.

Would recommend the bumper bar bolts, plus two tabs up through the floor pan.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Trev

Post by Trev »

Hi Dick, my towbar is off at the moment if you want to take it to copy and test fit to your FB.
Call me :thumbsup: .
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
Bluehaze

Post by Bluehaze »

Thanks Harv.
I should have known this topic has already been discussed. My EK sedan has an old tow bar on it already, and it resembles the one in the brochure, but it appears to be a home made one. It is also designed so the tongue, which is fixed, sits about 10mm below the rear bumper. The ball actually obscures the number plate. I'd like to build one with square stock, and with the square opening which takes the removable square hitch, like modern ones.
I guess my main concern is whether the mounting points, which take all the load, are strong enough to support a significant load.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Yep, I know what you mean about the mounting points. The four piddly bolts through the rear subframe/ bumper irons didn't look right to me either.

For the EK wagon, I had grandiose plans of extending the CRS chassis rails back and connecting to the drawbar. Not a small piece of work. The more I thought about it, the less inclined I am to do it though:
a) the "four bolts through the rear subframe" deal is the same as on my old VK Calais. That thing towed a huge caravan 1/2 way around Australia with no dramas. It also routinely towed the car trailer, and pulled out the odd recalcitrant tree stump :oops: . GMH knew what they were doing with that towbar mount.
b) my FB sedan seems to spend more time with the towbar loaded than not. It's towed the car trailer (with the wagon onboard :mrgreen: ), and does the annual camping gear trip (4 kids and a box trailer loaded to the gunwhales.... too much gear) at freeway speeds with no dramas.
c) the legal limit is 1.5 times the vehicle weight (provided the trailer has brakes). This is only about 1800kg for an FB/EK... not much load, and my guess is I have been pretty close to it with the antics above.

All up, I reckon those four piddly bolts are probably OK. I like the idea of the extra floor-pan bolts though.

Cheers,
Harv (more tow than a pair of thongs).
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.