Help - door belts

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Rusty EK
State: NOT ENTERED

Help - door belts

Post by Rusty EK »

At hair pulling out stage , anybody got a secret way to put these things in , they just won't go ,GRRRR , am about to walk away and leave the b@&ch for another six months "angryy:
parisian62
State: NSW

Re: Help - door belts

Post by parisian62 »

Hi Rusty,

You mean door rubbers? If so yep they can be a total pain. Don't ask me how I know...for my inners I glued in 3 doors and realised on the fourth door I had them in the wrong way and had to pull them all out...and pulled off paint too... :x For my outers I asked Rustydungers to lend a hand...

Are you using the new ones Rares are selling? If not then that''s probably your first problem. The new ones definitely will fit as they are much spongier, less dense and better profile. They should be in the newer version of packaging and will have a relatively recent (last 12 months?) production date.

I bought 4 new outers in the new packaging. 3 were perfect but 1 was the old style and Russell had to literally shave the back of it to make it fit. Even now the door sits a bit proud because of the rubber.

Do a dry fit around the whole door and use masking tape to temporarily hold in place. Make sure you can shut the door.

Use the loctite glue only once you are 100% sure they fit and the door will shut.

Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
bootlegger

Post by bootlegger »

stewart the door belt rubbers are the ones the windows slide up and down. Are you trying to put the in with the window in? If so drop the window off the runner fit the door belts then put the window back in.
Rusty EK

Post by Rusty EK »

G,day Stewart
Yes the door rubbers are a total pain , but I have them on and I have got the door catches on and the doors shutting pretty good , better than I thought they would .

The bits I am having trouble with are the two that go across the door at the bottom of the windows , just could not get them to lock into the holes , but I made a little right angle scraper thing and scraped the excess paint out of the holes and they fit in now , but the widows are that tight in there that they just won't go up or down .

Have walked away for the day , will pull the window back out tomorrow and try and see what is going on .

Did you have any trouble with your windows going up and down freely ?
parisian62
State: NSW

Post by parisian62 »

OK. Yup i had the same problem. plenty of lithium grease on all moving window mechanisms.

Silicon spray on the glass and then wind the windows up and down several times. Then clean off excess. That worked for me.

Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
Rusty EK

Post by Rusty EK »

Ok , thanks Stewart will give that a try tomorrow and see what happens :thumbsup: