2014 FB EK Holden Nationals - Cowra

Here is the place to discuss the Nationals, each year will have a new thread added for up-to-date info!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Mick
State: NSW

Re: 2014 FB EK Holden Nationals - Cowra

Post by Mick »

i think the alabaster might be the only motel with stairs, no wait there is another that is right near where i'de assume the show and shine will be or there's a flash pub that has a motel but unsure of it's arangements i'de assume it has stairs i'm pretty sure all the other pubs have accom and all would involve stairs
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
rosco
State: VIC

Post by rosco »

No prizes for guessing who #1 is then, Lesley.... well done!
No, EK is "somewhere" hidden under 4 years of accumulated squirelling.. I know it's in there somewhere - I can still see the tyres... how many sleeps? me thinks its around the 350 mark..

Stairs at only two accommodations?.... guess we'll be furnished with the fitter critters.... don't mess with these people, folk - they mean business! pennants are well known events where it's "walking frames at 10 paces!"...

frats,
Rosco
igor
State: SA

Post by igor »

:lol: White leghorns they are known as in our part of the world!!! :roll:
rosco

Post by rosco »

Chuckle, Chuckle - Igor.... they have very close relations in RV ranks - grey nomads.... the "herd" is currently migrating north - this is our first winter stuck down here after the previous three with them (wedding priority).. but we might just escape the worst of it for a month or so somewhere up near the Qld/NSW border (Yamba sounds nice, James...) if we can get away after this blasted wedding.... brrrr, it's cold here

These grey nomads we tolerate completely across the top of this wondrous country are iconic.... and to be avoided like the "white" plague... there is nothing so frustrating than to navigate through a mazed mass of them in the only supermarket for 300 km's... trollies, walking frames/sticks, and in static and unmovable bunch upon bunch of them in every aisle making conversation in the cool of the supermarket air conditioning.... but they do buy their loaf of frozen bread and a litre of milk.... I entertain the thought of adding some laxatives to these consumables if I could without being detected.... at least it might get some part of them moving....

At least in Cowra - they should be mobile, the nature of their sport suggests this - but be warned, folk - they will be there... and if it is a National pennant - they will be there in very big numbers....

And, before you ask, Lesley - no - haven't "found" the EK yet.... but I am on the trail... must be getting close, the pile from that side of the garage is beginning to build on the other...

frats,
Rosco
Mick

Post by Mick »

rosco you forgot to mention the grey nomads on the highways of australia ruining everybodys day :x :wink:

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
WayneXG95

Post by WayneXG95 »

I'm coming prepared, Hensites at 50 paces...... :mrgreen:

Wayne Chambers
President
FB EK Holden Car Club of N.S.W
rosco

Post by rosco »

Arghh...Wayne! - you bowl me over sometimes.....

Grey nomads on roads, whatever are you saying?... yes, most definitely - and as a member of the Australian Caravan Club and very vocal in my observations on outback and urban roads, I have been asked to write an article for Caravan and Motorhome magazine outlining protocol.... I could post it here - but it would take a good 30 minutes to read (no prizes for guessing I tend not to leave much unmentioned.. ) I went "all out" with that article - it could probably have been issued with just the normal adds and a cover front and back........the prevalence of wandering grey livestock in RV's on our roads is ballooning, sadly - their behavior does not compliment any attainment of respect, responsibility or cohesion in relation to conduct.

There is so much angst between other road users and we nomads, that I took it upon myself to engage with many from the transport industry and road authorities/local councils to compile my article.... it will be upcoming in either the next or following issue...

Don't start me here on my experiences whilst towing a 2 1/2 tonne mobile aluminium road block around Oz in this FB/EK sanctuary I take great solace within - I don't want to pick any fights, this forum is not bludgeoned with the RV forums abrasion nor chocka with unqualified proclaimers who take offence at the remotest suggestion that they might be misinformed.....

Having said that, wandering willy-nilly around Oz with the luxury of an open ended time frame is definitely an opportunity I would wish everyone here has access to in later life (if not now!)... for most, it is unattainable - but for those who can.... I am confident you simply don't appreciate what awaits....

Now, what was the title of this thread?... oh, yes - Cowra.....in conjoining the above to the OT, I guess that's somewhere which can be included in the next lap around the block... depleting the kids' inheritance....?

frats,
Rosco
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

I'm not quite a grey nomad more salt and peppered.... :mrgreen:

But we drag around a little Jayco swan and I'm very aware of my surrounds when doing so. We did the great ocean road and I quite regularly stopped to let people pass. Rosco youll have to let us know when it comes out. But we digress....
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Mick

Post by Mick »

yeah i'de seen a post by rosco before about how he tries to be courteous to other road users :thumbsup: it's just ashame he and you DR are a tiny tiny minority in generall they are just sailing around in there cocoons of serenity sniffing there own farts and not giving a flying f#%k about anybody else on the road

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
rosco

Post by rosco »

DR and Mick - I'm going to try and re-direct this thread back to the OT - it was I who digressed and apologise to the forum for doing so...
Just reading some of the attractions surrounding Cowra is giving every indication that we are indeed in for a great long weekend away... hope there's time to clean up our cars and put them on public display...
We are considering a short break north shortly, and it is not out of the question that we might just drag the van up there and take a peek in the village (before the "white leghorns" arrive next year...) then slip across to the coast and truddle on home.

I ponder on creating another thread, Mick - where we might include ourselves in the group of pesky road users, along with those who tow vans, horse-floats and a plethora of slower moving obstacles...?
For many of us, maintaining the posted maximum road speed is usually achievable - but for many with stock vehicles, some of the climbs on major highways are beyond the ability of the little 2261 cc grey... and probably more so - the hydra-matic...
Our major highways have drudgingly and very slowly been brought up to a standard where it is quite realistic to legally run uphill at 70 mph on some huge and prolonged climbs... maintaining the "aura" and historic splendor or our "period" vehicles - we are in fact a nuisance to those with modern injected/turbocharged vehicles...
Commencing a post on traveling "protocol" within this forum is probably worthy of suggestion.. not all of us have a "V" configured engine/powerplant under the hood of an FB/EK... and some of the "original" motors with little mileage are more at home and were designed for the highways of old - especially when towing a period "bondwood" caravan....

frats,
Rosco

p.s. - oops, did it again - sorry folk
Mick

Post by Mick »

hopefully you'se can work a run to charlie Mc carron's holden dealership at canowindra he has quite a collection of holdens

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
igor
State: SA

Post by igor »

:clap: Was wondering if he was still there, went there quite a few years back, very interesting. :wink:
Mick

Post by Mick »

holdenutechick wrote:I hope Canowindra Holden still there
read above :roll: allthough i don't think it's actually still a holden dealership if it is he hasn't had a new holden there in quite a while, i doubt that he is as there's a dealership in cowra orange and bathurst so i'de assume people that wanted a GM product or service would just travel there not like the old days 30ks is a nothing drive now so dealers don't need to be in every little town

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
holdenutechick

Post by holdenutechick »

I misunderstood what the others were saying but there's no need to flame me for it Mick.

Mods please remove my other post.
~Allison
My project:
'60 Holden FB ute

Other family projects:
Mum's '54 FJ Holden Special Sedan
Farm Bedford grain truck
clazek
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by clazek »

Hey Stewart!