single din cd/tuner into dash

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

artyfartymarty
State: WA

single din cd/tuner into dash

Post by artyfartymarty »

have seen it done a few times, and have measured up for it a few times but not sure how to go about it...seems single din head units are too tall for the gap between top of glovebox lid and u/s dash....its just too easy to go for it with a grinder and F@*k things up real quick. can anyone that has done this please share pics in a how to.
FB EK Club WA
Don't follow me, I'm lost too
artyfartymarty

Re: single din cd/tuner into dash

Post by artyfartymarty »

Doc Bob put me onto this instead of cutting up my dash :vecctor:
http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/category/id/14

nice stuff but as expected, Holden isnt even listed in the make/model options :shock: :shock: :shock:

as i have a cover plate semi permanently in place, could i please ask if someone without a cover measure up the dash hole for the radio for me? ie, size of main rectangle opening, etc. alternatively, if you have installed one of these, which chev model is compatible with our dash hole. just to save me ripping off my cover plate and then trying to reattach while radio takes a slow ship to OZ.
FB EK Club WA
WayneXG95
State: NSW

Post by WayneXG95 »

Mate rather than cut up my dash i just throw some C cell batteries in the boombox and chuck it in the back seat.
Otherwise in the old days we just made up cradles and a bracket and attached it under the dash..
Now whats that meerkat say on the "compare" ad on TV..Simplies... :thumbsup:
Wayne Chambers
President
FB EK Holden Car Club of N.S.W
artyfartymarty

Post by artyfartymarty »

Your advice is spot on Wayne, in fact I took you up on it a few years ago. And made up a facia that bolts upto the heater locating holes under the dash...:)

Want to relocate from hanging under the dash as I just myself some gauges and want to put them there. But don't like the idea of hacking up the dash either that's why I'm looking into the RetroSound gear. Have previously had it in the glove box too,Looked neat but was a PITA to live with.

This is what I've narrowed it down to
http://www.vintagecarradio.com/store/pr ... ts_id=1544
With chrome scallop fascia plate (option G) and chrome dial knobs.
FB EK Club WA
WayneXG95
State: NSW

Post by WayneXG95 »

I'm going to have the same problem as I found a 4 gauge cluster.
I figure with the new radios having remotes I can move it to the passenger side.
What gauges did you get?
Wayne Chambers
President
FB EK Holden Car Club of N.S.W
artyfartymarty

Post by artyfartymarty »

Auto meter 2 5/8 mechanical oil pressure, mech water temp and electric volt in 3 panel cluster. White gauges with chrome bezel. black numbers and needle. full sweep mech and half sweep volt. colour will match my painted gauges. Was considering doing away with the volt gauge and using oil pres and water temp only in chrome cups on the steering column. And leave radio as is but even if I do put the gauges on the column, I think i will still want to move the radio. I've never been 100% happy with it hanging from under the dash with a blanking plate in the dash where the radio should be, only a foot or so away. It just feels wrong.
FB EK Club WA
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I have a retrosound unit for my '57 , will try it against the diamond dot in the ute and see how it goes sizewise.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
artyfartymarty

Post by artyfartymarty »

Had a few back and forth emails with Retro Sound USA. Looks like the bare radio with knobs and face is what I need (no fascia) and will prob make alloy fascia plate to suit using 50mm alloy flat bar stock. It's not cheap though...$390 USD for the RetroSound model 2 Inc freight. Have looked at the cheaper RetroSound models but they do not have OZ compatible tuner (only US/EU)

Which model do you have in yr Chev Blacky? And if its model one or the zuma, does the tuner work fine here?

I've had the tape measure on the radio hole again considering my options for a larger DIN hole as the stereo I have is not bad and cutting a hole would save me $400. Still considering this option but not sure how to go about fitting a 55mm tall DIN size radio into a 48mm tall dash space. cut a hole or spend 400 clams?

Can anyone with new style radio in original radio space please post some info or a photo on how to go about fitting it please.
anyone...Bueller...Bueller....Bueller.
FB EK Club WA
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Not sure what model it is Marty, it is a radio only with jacks on the back for MP3 / ipod / CD player connection - I havent even put power on it yet so not sure about the frequencys but am not worried about AM
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

artyfartymarty

Post by artyfartymarty »

Blacky
model 1
http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/category/id/1
zuma
http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/category/id/12
model 2
http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/category/id/14

the model 2 is most feature packed but the biggest attraction for me is that it actually specifies that the tuner is suitable for OZ radio frequency. MIght be marketing, but i'd be really dissapointed if i got one of the less expensive models and could not get local radio signal on it.

model 2 and zuma look similar, model 1 has buttons on the bottom and up the left side, model 2 and zuma only on bottom.

Did you get a chance to compare the retroSound radio to the EK dash for fit?
FB EK Club WA
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Will have a play tonight and post the info mate.

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

OK - this is what I have -

Short answer is it wont fit in a stock FB/EK dash - its too big.

artyfartymarty

Post by artyfartymarty »

Thanks for doing that and posting up the pics Blacky.
Its not what I was hoping to hear/see. But I also noticed your new Chev radio is different to the RetroSound gear.

Back to the drawing board :/
FB EK Club WA
artyfartymarty

Post by artyfartymarty »

I decided to cut the hole in the dash for the din size radio on the weekend...got out the dremel, the 4" grinder with fresh cutting disc, got all set up, marked it out and I couldn't bring myself to do it. Don't know why as I'm not a restorer, its got a red 6, floor shift trimatic, HR. front & discs and its painted lilac pearl so not at all precious about being original, but I couldn't bring myself to put the blade to it. Something just wouldn't let me do it.

few more back and forth emails with RetroSound, re details etc...ordered. I'll take pics of install when it arrives. We'll see how it goes.
FB EK Club WA
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Geez Marty , next you will have a tweed jacket and a flat cap and be turning up at swap meets an hour early offering next to nothing for rare and expensive parts........... :lol: