FB/EK Holden 3-speed Crashbox Enthusiasts Guide

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Re: FB/EK Holden 3-speed Crashbox Enthusiasts Guide

Post by Blacky »

While you are at it please Harv - fbekholden@yahoo.com.au :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :thumbsup:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Done.

The old SCRIBD uploading site I used is getting a bit weary. At the time it was the only way I knew to share big files. Downside is that you now appear to have to make an account to view it. 15,000 people have viewed it (37,000 for the Strommie Guide), though still email them round quite often.

If there is an IT Tech amongst us who knows a better way to store and share this stuff, I'm happy to upload them somewhere simpler.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Thanks cobba :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

I got a subscription and downloaded all your stuff Harv. Then cancelled the subscription. Cost bugger all. Many thanks by the way.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Fex
State: QLD

Post by Fex »

Gday Harv. Can I trouble you for the gearbox guide please if it’s not too much trouble.
azkeen@gmaildotcom

Cheers, Andrew.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

How is the award winning sedan going Andrew? I thought it was a hydramatic.

EK van on rotisserie
Fex

Post by Fex »

Errol62 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:25 pm How is the award winning sedan going Andrew? I thought it was a hydramatic.

It’s had its run for the year… I actually did crank it over last weekend and the battery was still good enough to get it going. I bought a fair bit of steel that I’ve put in the shed. A bit like the castle. Need to move the quad and wife’s old xtrail out so I can push the willys Jeep out of the way to get the EK out. Unfortunately the steel is boxing the Jeep in. Yep the EK is a hydro. The gearbox guide is for the FX - FJs. Got a few spare boxes lying around so figured I could try to rebuild a gearbox. I was threatening to finish something I started so need to start another couple of jobs to make up for it 😂
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Fex wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:02 pm Gday Harv. Can I trouble you for the gearbox guide please if it’s not too much trouble.
azkeen@gmaildotcom

Cheers, Andrew.
Done :)

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Fex

Post by Fex »

Thanks Harv. Much appreciated.

Cheers, Andrew
EJVince

Post by EJVince »

Hi guys,

Just joined, this is a great guide, any chance of emailing me a copy to vincentrichardson@hotmail.com

Also, custom made tool to replace 7A5, is that the same for EJ Holden or just for earlier Holdens? In the manual it uses 7A5-1 to go with 7A5 to draw mainshaft through bearing for EJ. I need to overhaul my box but don't have special tools, but thinking of making some. I cant read the length dimensions on this website as they look a bit blurry for this tool.

Anyone got a diagram to fabricate something to get speedo gear off mainshaft, as it is pressed on real tight on EJ? Special tool 7A12 is mentioned in manual.

Appreciate any advice anyone has.
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

To make a 7A12, you need:

A piece of steel sheet (or a cut out of an old spring leaf) about the same thickness as the gap between the mainshaft bearing and the speedo drive gear, about 3" square, with a U-shaped slot cut into it to accommodate the drive gear. Make the U-slot only deep enough so the top of the U lines up with the outside diameter of the speedo drive gear. Call this one the press plate.

Then you need to select two lengths of threaded rod (3/8" or M10 minimum) a couple of inches longer than the gearbox's rear extension housing. Drill and tap the press plate to take the two threaded rods. I'd suggest about 2" or 50 mm between centres. You want the threaded rods to be in line with the mainshaft when the press plate is "home" on the speedo gear.

You also need another plate, drilled clearance on each side for the two threaded rods (with four nuts), and drilled clearance for 3/8" UNF (guessing 25/64") in the centre. Same hole spacing as for the press plate. Call this one the puller plate.

You need a long 3/8" UNF bolt, threaded all the way along, and a 3/8" UNF nut. I used an old idler arm bolt, and tapped it all the way along.

Assembly: Screw the long threaded rods into the press plate. Slip the press plate and threaded rods under the speedo drive gear. Screw one nut down onto each threaded rod. Slip the puller plate over the long bolt, and screw the 3/8" UNF nut a good couple of inches up the long bolt so the puller plate is "trapped" between the bolt head and nut. Now screw the long bolt, nut and puller plate into the end of the gearbox main shaft. Engage the threaded rods with the outer holes in the puller plate, and screw one more nut down on each long threaded rod. Adjust the nuts up so everything's square and firm.

Operation: Hold the head of the long 3/8" UNF bolt with a 9/16" spanner, and with another 9/16" spanner, wind the nut back into the puller plate. Keep going until the speedo drive gear is pulled off the mainshaft (yay!), or until parts bend or break (bummer, because the speedo drive gear is pressed on really hard).

Rob
EJVince

Post by EJVince »

Wow, that is concise instructions Rob on fabrication and operation of a tool to remove speedo gear, thanks heaps mate, really appreciate it 👌👍
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Welcome to the forum EJVince :thumbsup: there is a treasure trove of information , loads of friendly banter and years of knowledge on this forum - its pretty much the polar opposite of facebook :D :D

Harv

Post by Harv »

I've sent the pdf.

The 7A5-1 is just a spacer. You might get away with using a socket (if your 7A5 threaded rod will fit through the socket 1/2" square drive), otherwise you could use a length of water pipe, or better still the old bearing inner race (break apart the old bearing, discard the outer race, cage and balls).

Cheers,
Harv