FB/EK Holden 3-speed Crashbox Enthusiasts Guide

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

FB/EK Holden 3-speed Crashbox Enthusiasts Guide

Post by Harv »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

As promised, please find attached a link to the FB/EK Holden 3-speed Crashbox Enthusiasts Guide:

My apologies for taking so long with this one - I kinda got distracted with floor shifters :oops: :lol: .

This document aims to provide some information regarding three-speed manual gearboxes (crashboxes) suitable for FB and EK Holdens. It contains:
• historical information, such as which gearboxes and fittings were fitted to different model Holdens,
• practical information on identification, disassembly and reassembly of early Holden gearboxes,
• guidance on adjustment, maintenance, replacement parts and overhaul techniques, and
• information on accessory floor shifters.

It contains answers to many of the questions that seem to come up routinely on most of the early Holden forums:
“What overhaul parts are available for my early Holden crashbox, and where do I get them from?”
“Why is my crashbox jumping out of gear?”
“What oil should I run in my crashbox?”

Whilst this document is primarily related to the FB and EK Holden gearboxes, much of the information is similar or identical to other early Holdens. This document also contains a significant amount of information related to floor shifters. My original intention was to cover only those floor shifters which fit the grey motor crashbox. However, as always, the more I dug into aftermarket floor shifters the more interesting things got... and I got a little carried away. Section 9 now contains some interesting historical information, and has information relating to floor shifters of the “three-on-the tree” era (FX-WB Holdens) rather than just being limited to grey motors.

Happy to field any queries or corrections.

Cheers,
Harv (deputy apprentice crashbox fiddler).
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Cal
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: FB/EK Holden 3-speed Crashbox Enthusiasts Guide

Post by Cal »

Thanks Harv. Good reading :thumbsup:
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Champion effort - again :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
parisian62

Post by parisian62 »

Awesome. Many thanks Andrew. :thumbsup:
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
Thommo

Post by Thommo »

Another Stella Effort :clap:
Fantastic Job Harv :thumbsup:
Brian Westlake

Post by Brian Westlake »

Terriffic effort Harv. I'm especially excited about the floor shifter section. I had a D'or floor shifter 35 years ago, and most people who I've mentioned that brand to, have never heard of it. Thanks again.
Tony Tearsaholeinhisfloor
muza

Post by muza »

I am sure you're a genius Harv!!
Either that, or you have way too much time on your hands!
Fair dinkum, another great job. With these 'enthusiasts guides' your putting out there on the internet, they'll never be lost and will be with us forever!
Can't thank you enough :D
FB Holden Fernando Yellow/Arctic Beige flash
Stock as a rock
75 series Landcruiser 350 Chev
Not so stock
Harv

Post by Harv »

Picked up an error in the document. The table on page 17 indicates the speedo drive gear has six teeth... in fact it has seven. This also affects the cable speed indicated in the tables on pages 25, 26, 27 and 28. Fiddly, but important if you are trying to calculate speedo gearing for a modified vehicle.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Cal

Post by Cal »

Harv, is it common for these suckers to leak from the selector shaft retainer gasket ?
Harv

Post by Harv »

I would have said unusual for the gasket to leak, unless someone has pulled the retainer off and then put it back on again (snapped selectors from a floor shifter somewhere in the cars history??). May have either butchered the gasket, or not tightened the bolts (one of those bolts is a mongrel to get at due to the casting shape... one flat at a time with an open-ender).

Normally either the selector shaft lip seal goes hard, or the selector lever cork seal dries up over time.

I took a look in the spare parts department, and sadly no retainer gaskets. Best bet would be the Rare Spares gasket-only kit, or a sheet of heavy-ish gasket paper.

Cheers,
Harv
vmx-mxr

Post by vmx-mxr »

Harv old mate - many thanks from yet another forum fan !

Maybe one day you can consolidate all the stuff you have put together into one volume of Harv's Handy Historic Holden Hints !!!

Gold :clap:

Dave Mac :D
FbSTDwagon
State: SA

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Hey Harv, this enthusiast guide you have written is top notch mate.

I was going to drop my gear box off to get rebuilt but I think I’ll have a ref hot crack at doing it myself with a rare spares kit.

However is it absolutely necessary to subscribe to scribed to be able to print the rebuild pages?

Any chance I could be cheeky and ask for a copy of the guide to be emailed to me?
Drew
Harv

Post by Harv »

FbSTDwagon wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:57 am Hey Harv, this enthusiast guide you have written is top notch mate.

I was going to drop my gear box off to get rebuilt but I think I’ll have a ref hot crack at doing it myself with a rare spares kit.

However is it absolutely necessary to subscribe to scribed to be able to print the rebuild pages?

Any chance I could be cheeky and ask for a copy of the guide to be emailed to me?
Too easy - ping me an email address.

Cheers,
Harv
FbSTDwagon
State: SA

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Thanks mate. Legend
Drew
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

It's a fantastic resource that guide.
Sucker for a rusty bomb