Wiring harness

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Muscl
State: NOT ENTERED

Wiring harness

Post by Muscl »

Hello everyone, I need some advise on what is a good complete wiring harness to use for an EK ute?
The wiring is stock but has been added to over the years and now the gremlins have made it home.
Any advise will be welcome.
Many thanks, Phill
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Wiring harness

Post by Blacky »

There's a crowd in Melbourne who do repro wiring harnesses, I spoke to them when I was restoring my ute , from memory a repop harness was about $550 which I thought was pretty reasonable.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
fbvan

Post by fbvan »

Vintage Wiring Harness. Good product and good service.
Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Post by Craig Allardyce »

I'm getting one done there as we speak. Been there, checked their product and they have all the drawings and specs to make an exact item, even right down to exact positions of cloth taped sections. They have all new connectors as per the originals but the only item they cant get is the square plastic insulator covers for the connections such as what's is used at the fuse box. Lucky mine are all ok.

Should be ready this week so I'll post something when I pick it up.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

They can't get blue harness tape either :(
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Muscl

Post by Muscl »

Thanks lads this is great info. This is a great forum.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Bump
The vintage auto harnesses are now around the $750 mark. Been thinking to make my own, but where to get the connectors. I want it more or less factory and have a few old harnesses, so plenty of usable globe holders. Don't want to muck around with LEDs.

Any advice appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
rosco

Post by rosco »

Clay,
If you have a complete harness already - you can copy it.
I know a bloke who's hobby was to collect instrument panels from early Holdens - he had the complete set of Special models from 48/215 up to about HG. He also had some Torana's. He hung all of these up on the inside of his brick garage wall and connected them all up in parallel... when turned on, they all light up.. it was very impressive.

He used to make up wiring harnesses... and I saw his method.
When he found an uncut one - he marked it all out on a large board, using nails. He then traced all the wires onto this board in colour and also marked up where the connectors were plus the serial part number of each one.

He was selling them way back then.. but I have lost contact for him. He went through two marriage splits that I know of and had moved residence a number of times.

The method used may be of assistance to you if you decide to make up your own.

The expensive part is purchasing all the required rolls of colored wire. I have many of what I need on spools, but not all - some are not available.

If you are not restricted to keeping colour convention - you could make up a loom using any number of differing coloured leads - but, you would have to keep a register of what colour you have used for each circuit.

I did this with mine - I have re-wired most of my loom.. I used "tinned" wire cabling.. it is sometimes sold as "marine" cable.

Of course, my register goes with the car - wherever I take it...

The dreaded "black wire" syndrome is what usually causes most grief - but generally, I have found that this blackening is only on the surface of each strand - not embedded into it. If it is to be re-used, the black has to be removed and the copper made bare before making connections.

I found it easier to purchase tinned wire and remove all potential issues for later on... as my mind's ability would eventually struggle in time.

frats,
Rosco
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

750 is not bad really - considering the cost of wire and the globe holders and connectors - time was the killer for me as the numerous hours it takes to properly lay out and join off all those connectors would cost me 10 times that 750 in lost business.

mind you the Vintage ones are not perfect - remind them to add 10-15cm to all wires going to the regulator and the back of dash - made it a bit tricky
Errol62 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:16 am Bump
The vintage auto harnesses are now around the $750 mark. Been thinking to make my own, but where to get the connectors. I want it more or less factory and have a few old harnesses, so plenty of usable globe holders. Don't want to muck around with LEDs.

Any advice appreciated.

You will find me lost somewhere!
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hi Clay;
I bought one of their harnesses and had them include wiring for blinkers and reverse lights there really isn't any difference between the sedan and Ute harnesses that I can see except for what I just mentioned mind you I ended up removing and adding what I did and didn't need (bloody modifiers) :roll: :roll:
I thought it was a pretty good harness came as you see in the photos
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg (749.11 KiB) Viewed 685 times

Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Errol62

Wiring harness

Post by Errol62 »

Thank you all for the replies. I’ve got some time to research this. I’d be interested in any information about where to get fittings if I were to do my own. Time is always a consideration as fjw says, but I like doing shit like this rather than working to pay someone else to do it. Not as sensible economically, but more fun. I’ve had a go at upholstery in the past, but this time I’m out laying on that. Pretty much all the rest will be “all me own work”, a phrase I admit to cringing at when uttered by others.

What is turn around like on the Vintage Wiring harness?

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Are the column and headlight tails included in the Vintage Wiring kit?

EK van on rotisserie
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Not the column ones no - that was attached to the Indicator/horn main ring - a pain to change from one to another - there has been several complete rings and wires sold recently as NOS but be careful which you get as with and without indicators have very different mechanisms inside - not easily interchangeable - learnt that the had way.

I had headlight wires in my ute one but I had to mod mine to fit the HID replacement units from Rares - can get new tube insulators from Better Auto rubbers for the headlight wires.
Errol62 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:41 pm Are the column and headlight tails included in the Vintage Wiring kit?

You will find me lost somewhere!
fraze

Post by fraze »

Vintage Wiring Harnesses at Ringwood, Vic. made up a new harness for my FB Ute last year. I had turn indicator wires added in. All good, except there could have been a bit of extra length to the wires to the instrument cluster. With the supplied instructions it was very easy to fit. Fraze.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Thanks fellas.

EK van on rotisserie