For Loan: Stromberg tuning tools

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

For Loan: Stromberg tuning tools

Post by Harv »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Having stuffed around writing some Guides over the last few years, I have been grateful for the assistance I have been given from a number of forum members. The offer below is one way of paying back some of that help and trust.

It worries me that a lot of Strombergs are tuned based on “old rules” that were put together fifty years ago. Fuel quality has changed significantly, and many of the old rules are no longer optimal.

When writing the Stromberg Guide, I put together a tuning kit for Stromberg carbs. The kit is set up to allow tuning of early Holden single, twin and triple BX Strombergs, later WW Strombergs, and also the hotrodders EE Strombergs. The kit has the following:
a) Three each main metering jets from 0.040-0.050 (for tuning twins and triples),
b) Two each main metering jets from 0.051-0.070 (for tuning singles, WW’s and EE’s),
c) Three each power bypass jets in #61, #63, #65, #67, #69 and #71 (for tuning twins and triples),
d) A main metering jet key,
e) A notched screwdriver for pulling out the power bypass jets without smooshing the pins,
f) The factory tool for adjusting the float and a float depth gauge marked for BXOV carbs,
g) A set of three venturi restrictors to suit each of 1 1/32”, 1 3/32” and 1 5/32”, and
h) A flowmeter for balancing twin and triple carbs.

I’d like to make the following offer:
a) You are welcome to borrow the kit, or enough of the parts to do the job you need to do (e.g. just the jets for triples if that is what you are tuning). Borrowing just the parts you need will reduce freight (and my risk).
b) You can borrow the kit for a couple of days, a couple of weeks or say 2 months. I want the kit back when you are finished. This means my original parts… not your old jets! Jets will be checked against a pin gauge, and bypass jets for operation. Whilst I can handle getting parts back that have been tested in a carb, getting parts back that have had the snot abused out of them with a blunt breadknife is not OK.
c) While you have the kit, you can tune your car anyway you feel fit. Run it on a dyno, drive it around and read the plugs, take it for a squirt up the freeway, take it to the drags, tow a trailer – whatever you need to do. Once you have the right parts in place, you order new ones and send my bits back to me. I can point you in the right direction of where to order from if needs be.
d) I’ll pay postage to get the kit to you… you pay the postage to get the kit back to me (if this ends up costing me a small fortune over time, I may need people to pay postage each way).
e) This an open offer. Whilst I am a little slow, I am not a moron. If I know you well enough, I’ll take the risk that I get my bits back. If I don’t know you so well, I will ask for a scanned copy of your drivers license. The parts will be sent to the address on your license. I will also ask you to deposit in my bank account twice the value of the parts you borrow. If I get my parts back, you get all your cash back. Any parts I don’t get back in original shape will be replaced from your funds at twice times their value, before I send the rest of your funds back. If this sounds like too much drama, you are welcome to borrow the gear from someone else. Remember I am doing this for free, and under trust.
f) I would ask that when you are finished, you let me know some basic info (engine type and capacity, any mods done, carb type, the final tune settings and how they were obtained). I will not publish this with your name or address – the idea is to collect some decent info over time so that the “old rules” can be updated.
g) All correspondence gets done by PM from the FB/EK forum. My username is the same on all the early Holden forums – Harv.
h) The kit is available on a first come, first served basis. Remember that other people may already be borrowing the bits you want, and that I have both work and a family to worry about. Whilst I’ll do my best to answer your query, remember that it may take some time.

If this works out OK over time, I may extend the offer to other parts/tools.

Mods: May I have a sticky please?

Cheers,
Harv (deputy apprentice Stromberg fiddler).
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Re: For Loan: Stromberg tuning tools

Post by Blacky »

Done Harv , 2 big thumbs up for your generous offer :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
muza
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by muza »

WOW that is one very generous offer harv and a vey good idea.
Hats off to you mate!
Cheers muza
FB Holden Fernando Yellow/Arctic Beige flash
Stock as a rock
75 series Landcruiser 350 Chev
Not so stock
autobilly

Post by autobilly »

A very kind offer and one I'll bare in mind.
"I'm a Rocker, I'm a Roller, I'm a Real Gone Outa-controller..."- Bon Scott
Grey all the way.
DOLLER

Post by DOLLER »

Harv just bought himself a VIP ticket to Holden Heaven! :thumbsup:
Run what ya brung and hope it's enough
GreyEJ
State: VIC

Post by GreyEJ »

Harv do you still offer this kit out for lends?
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Yep.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.