Wacky indicators

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Oldnblue
State: NOT ENTERED

Wacky indicators

Post by Oldnblue »

Hi guys
I'm lacking in knowledge of electricals/wiring on the ol' girl so am hoping someone here will know what happens. I've done a search here and on oldHolden.com for this but couldn't see an anything that directly solved my problem. Here's the scenario:

Noticed when I pulled into the garage last night that the driver's side headlight on my sedan was blown. Popped it out to look and sure enough it was fried. By the way, standard EK set up, no halogens or anything like that.
Headed to the spares store this morning to buy a new globe, and noticed on the way that my indicators were also playing up. Whenever I activated them (be it L or R) they'd both flash quickly on the dash. On further inspection outside the car, the rear indicators didn't flash at all, and the fronts would both flash together but extremely dimly.
So, bought the new globe, fitted it, tested the headlights first and everything was fine. Both worked, low and high beam.

Now, the bit I don't understand...
Indicate LEFT and both front and rear, and dashboard lights flash as they should.
But...indicate RIGHT and the following happens - dash lights flash together, right rear taillight flashes correctly, and the front indicator lights both flash together, but again, very dimly (keeping in mind that when indicating left, the front left indicator light is at full brightness)

Does anyone know what the problem is? hoping someone here or on one of the other sites I frequent will know what's up.

Cheers, Scott
smooth

Post by smooth »

Scott,

Mate, when an early Holden flashes both dash indicator lights together that means there is a fault. Either a blown bulb or a bad earth or power connection. To me it sounds like a bad earth. Only power is feed to the indicators and the bulb must find earth via the socket body back to the grounded car.

Corrosion can be a factor as can water in the joins.

There is no rocket science involved it is all very straight forward stuff. Make sure power gets to the bulb and make sure the bulb makes it the a good healthy earth. (x4)

Good luck.

Regards, Smooth 8)
Oldnblue

Post by Oldnblue »

Ok, I've been told elsewhere that it sounds like a bad earth and will now have a close look at the wiring and clean up the contacts.

Without wanting to sound like a schmuck...how on earth do I get the indicator lens/housing off? I thought it would be as simple as unscrewing the 3 nuts that are accessible from the front of the lens, but once they were unscrewed, the darn thing wouldn't budge. Is there something I'm missing?? Do I need to take the grill assembly that surrounds the indicator off first? If so, how do I access it?
Sorry to sound so stupid, but at a quick glance in the dark, I couldn't see any obvious means of removal.

Cheers, Scott
Oldnblue

Post by Oldnblue »

Thanks Smooth.
I posted at pretty much the exact time as your reply so didn't see it when I was writing. I'd never seen the double flashing before now, and wondered if it was an indication of bad circuit. You answered my question.
As soon as I get a chance I'll be pulling it apart and checking all my earths etc. Hopefully will be as simple as find and fix.
Cheers, Scott
hz308prem

Post by hz308prem »

Who said early Holdens don't have hazard lights, well at least at the front anyway!! :lol: On a serious note, if you have undone the 3 screws holding the lens on the lens will come out, it's just that the lens has welded itself to the rubber seal and it appears that you need to undo something else. It will come off, I used a butter knife to gently lever around one of mine until it freed up.

Hope that helps.

Peter
Oldnblue

Post by Oldnblue »

Thanks...I hoped it was that...just thought I'd check before prying away and snapping something I don't want to snap.

Still haven't had a moment to check where the earth has failed. Might not get a real chance to look at it until the coming weekend.

Cheers, Scott