restoring weather strips

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

EK JAY
State: NSW

restoring weather strips

Post by EK JAY »

Hi :)
thought i would post this up for those who are interested while im doing these for the ek
wagon i did a set of these for my ek sedan a few years ago now and there still like new
i have put up a step by step photo run of what i do .
first you need some door felt and super glue from bunnings $15
get your strip and clean out the old felt and take off the clips give it a sand and paint
i use killrust to paint mine then get your felt and trim some of the backing then get your super glue
and run it along the strip then peel off the backing sticker of the felt and stick the felt onto the strip
once dry put the clips back on you may have to prize open the clip a little to get it back on but just pinch
it closed again once in the correct spot there is a mark on the strip where it goes then your done :thumbsup:
ive put some comparison photo's of a rare's one and one ive done and relly there is no differnce apart from price
you can get black felt aswell but i used grey this time

EK JAY SINCE 1990
Trev
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: restoring weather strips

Post by Trev »

Great info Jay :thumbsup: .
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
parisian62

Post by parisian62 »

Hi Jay

Awesome work. Thanks for posting up.

Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
Harv

Post by Harv »

Damn Jay, that is a fantastic process 8) .

Bits of the "fluffy strips" have been hanging out of the FB for a while, and I keep putting off fixing them - no excuses now :lol: .

Cheers, and thanks,
Harv.
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Sticky time, great work Jay!
stinky
State: SA

Post by stinky »

You can buy black weather strip from Fitch the Rubber man, I understand they have different profiles.
http://www.fitchtherubberman.com.au/

Also a good place for rubber grommets like the ones on rocker covers for the PCV.
State: SA

Post by 138 »

And you can use the "loop" part of the self-adhesive part of the Velcro strip (available at Spotlight, by the metre), inside the vertical window (Bailey?)
channel. Clean out the old stuff, wrap the strip around a steel 12'' ruler along it's length, and fit it into the channel (after peeling off the sticker of course).If you use the 25mm wide stuff, and push it into the corners of the groove, a couple of mm will sit above the stainless edge. Trim off with a Stanley knife, and you're away.
EK283

Post by EK283 »

So,

All of my strips are stuffed rust bent etc and I tossed them in the bin !

Who has used aftermarket, from what company and how do they fit ??

Good work on the alternatives but like I said I dont have any to start with.
So many cars so little time!
Harv

Post by Harv »

I used Rares.

The bailey channel is pretty good - cut with side cutters, take your time and they fit well.

The door belts come in rear (inner and outer the same), front inner left hand, front inner right hand and front outer (left and right the same). They are not a bolt-in fit, and need to be trimmed to length. The door opening is not straight, and has little bends at the ends (eg where the window glass meets the quarter window). Most of these bends are absent in the Rares product, and have to be made by hand. The door belt clips appear to be mild steel (not spring steel) and must be retensioned if you have more than one go at putting them in. I had a bugger of a time getting them in, despite following the advice on the Rares Shed Talk installation video (https://www.rarespares.net.au/shedtalk/ ... -door-belt). I found the belts sat very close together, and would not let the glass in between even using WD40. The old boy had a go at the remaining door belts and found the same thing. Use lots of blue painters tape to avoid chipping the door paint... don’t ask me how I know 😣

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
EK JAY

Post by EK JAY »

Yep every time I've tried to use repro ones they are horrible to fit and end up bending up and out with the window glass when you wind up the window hence the repair of original ones if there solid enough to start with keep looking for original ones if you can :thumbsup:
EK JAY SINCE 1990