SunnyTim's Nitro Factory Black FB 215

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

parisian62
State: NSW

Re: I'm VERY VERY EXCITED

Post by parisian62 »

Here's where I finished up, one step forward four steps back
damn...that rust can be lurking everywhere. :evil:
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
DOLLER
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by DOLLER »

Hey Tim I went past the yard last week and the old girls mate is still sitting there. If you hurry up and do this one you can do the other one as well :thumbsup: :wink:
Run what ya brung and hope it's enough
holdenutechick

Post by holdenutechick »

Hey there people I had been talking to a few of our local club members about this car when tim bought it :thumbsdown:

I've only now had the time to look at the photos you've posted, from what I can see it is the car we discussed in our PMs Tim.
our PM conversation is pasted below for everyone else who doesn't know what's going on.

Sent: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:00 pm
by SunnyTim
Hi Alison I only just saw your post :shock: All I know about the car is that it came to Finley in around 1968 when a man moved to town with his family, and then it went to another owner, then a young kid, then to the guy I bought it from (who has had it around 15 years sitting in the yard on the north end of town.
I would appreciate any links to the vehicles history, as it will be restored and driving through FInley in June next year :wink:
Tim

Sent: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:19 pm
by holdenutechick
Based on what dad has told me he doesn't remember when Uncle Gordon acquired the EK but he was the second owner.

Uncle Gordon was known around this area as Black as he was known to tinker for hours and come home all covered in oil, he died in 1996 from a heart attack and stroke, I was 8 at the time, after Blacks death his brother (my grandfather) held a clearing sale where all his cars found new homes, dad believes that the EK went home with a young guy who wanted to put a bigger engine in it so it seems to match what you've been told.

When I was very little I was very fond of hide and seek, there was one time I climbed in the EK to hide and fell asleep on the back seat after looking for me for 2 hours it was the last time dad allowed us to play outdoor hide and seek. :lol:

Another memory I have was climbing underneath and up into the engine area when the engine was out being fixed and I remember reading the numbers, my grandmother had a photo of me taken by my grandfather in the shed when I was little passing Uncle Black spanners and tools while he was working on a grey pretty sure it was the EKs either that or the one from his morning grey FB ute which based on a few repair spots I believe to be the one I'm working on :shock:

Sent: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:32 pm
by SunnyTim
Alison
Wow :shock: thankyou for sharing this information.
The car is an FB, but if it is the black one it makes a hell of a lot of sense now that it was sold at a clearing sale, as under the bonnet is a number left by yellow paint pen or marker. We thought it might have been from a wreckers, but this now ads up.
I would really love to know anything you might be able to gain further from your family in regards the history of the car. I will definitely be restoring it to get back on the road (not a task for the faint hearted, but hey :oops: )
What a spin out that you also have your G uncle's ute also. Great to know that they will possibly get to see each other again.
I wonder if any of your family would have a photo where the car is parked in the background or something?
Love to hear more if you can find anything else out.
Tim

Sent: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:55 pm
by holdenutechick
Uncle Black didn't have any children so the only one with info is dad and I've pretty much told you everything he told me.

I can probably explain the markings in that Uncle Black had a habit if he dismantled something he'd put numbers on them to put them back together, though he usually used chalk.

FB? yeah I think so as I remember it had the FB bonnet bar but EK hubcaps, (I found one in a paddock its hanging on the wall in my shed).

Dad said it was an EK, though now that I think about it Dad doesn't know the difference.

Sent: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:59 pm
by SunnyTim
cool, well funnily enough I thought it was an EK when I first saw it as it had EK side moulds fitted to it at some stage

After looking the photos I will tell you that the number under the bonnet was from a wrecker if I remember correctly the front end had a nasty meeting with a kangaroo, I was only about 5 or 6 when it happened but I remember grandpa, dad and black pushing her into the machinery shed and a few days later taking the whole front off and bolting a new front on.

Word of warning Tim my uncle was an inventor and was known to if he didn't have what he needed on hand to fix something to make tools or repair items out of anything he could find, I can't help but wonder if it still has the original fuel tank? why I ask is that I remember my grandfather telling me a story when I was about 10 that there was a time when the fuel guage was off so Black got under the car and used his feet to push up on the tank and put a dent in it which somehow made the float read right.

I will be following this thread with much enthusiasm I think Black would be very surprised that his cheap farm run around is getting fixed up to him it was just a cheap car to run, don't want to be the bearer of bad news but it was common for a sheep or two be shoved in the back when his ute was out of order and the rust near the back seat I believe was caused by sheep urine :lol: can't get more of a farm car then that.
~Allison
My project:
'60 Holden FB ute

Other family projects:
Mum's '54 FJ Holden Special Sedan
Farm Bedford grain truck
holdenutechick

Post by holdenutechick »

second owner. it may not be the same car but dad believes it is.
~Allison
My project:
'60 Holden FB ute

Other family projects:
Farm Bedford grain truck
holdenutechick

Post by holdenutechick »

Hey Tim doing some nice work there.

Just a follow up I spoke to Dad about the roo and he reckons it was Black's FC that was cleaned up, the FB was purchased to replace the FC hope this clears things up.
~Allison
My project:
'60 Holden FB ute

Other family projects:
Farm Bedford grain truck
muza

Post by muza »

Looking good tim, getting there!
FB Holden Fernando Yellow/Arctic Beige flash
Stock as a rock
75 series Landcruiser 350 Chev
Not so stock
parisian62

Post by parisian62 »

Good stuff Tim. Brett could go into production with those sections.
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
boomer61

Post by boomer61 »

Gas shielded wire is the go Tim, I use BOC argoshield universal or argoshield light as the shielding gas....This will give you a better weld and weld appearance than a flux cored wire..cheers Boomer.....
Cal

Post by Cal »

Looking good, Tim :thumbsup:
vmx-mxr

Post by vmx-mxr »

SunnyTim wrote: Image
Reckon those Taiwanese welding sandals would have you jumping about a bit while grinding and welding Tim :lol:

Old Blacky is coming along well !

Dave Mac :D
fbvan

Re: SunnyTim's Nitro Factory Black FB 215

Post by fbvan »

Tim
This paint stripper is the best I have used. Environmental and user friendly. It does not harm the skin or anything else. A bit messy but then they all are, and it is easy to clean when you have the paint off.

Google Soy paint stripper you will be surprised how well it works. Not cheap but it goes a long way.

Brian
Mick

Post by Mick »

tim i use those discs and love them but be carefull they can cause heat just don't concentrate in one area, and make sure the speed rating is not exceded i'de heard of a guy putting the big ones (designed to spin at a slower speed for use on a buff) being put on a 9" grinder and flying apart
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

When I stripped the roof and bonnet on mine I used a $15 bunnings orbital sander and 36 grit.... Worked fairly well.
Marty K Bird

Post by Marty K Bird »

Looking forward to following this one through :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:peaceout:
parisian62

Post by parisian62 »

Hi Tim

What Boomer said. All the welding on my wagon was with gas. I fronted up to the local BOC outlet and organised an account and rented a bottle.

If I had my time again I would use an orbital sander on all the large surface area panels - roof, bonnet, doors, guards and blasting on the structural stuff and door jams I would use sandblasting (garnet). Ask Dave Bootlegger what grit he uses - I took the rear quarters back to bare metal with an orbital but can't remember the grit we used.

regards
Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.