HR Rear Backing plates - there is a difference

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

ardiesse
State: NSW

Re: HR Rear Backing plates - there is a difference

Post by ardiesse »

There's definitely a difference in axle shaft offset between EJ/EH/HD/HR and LC/LJ. It'll be the same as the difference in front hub offset between EJ-HR and five-stud Toranas. I'm guessing it's of the order of 1/2".

Drum-braked six-cylinder LC/J had the same drums front and rear. There's quite a pronounced "step-up" in the flange where the hub seats.

Rob
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Seems apparent at this point my brakes are not the wider commercial brakes as fg ed vrndor yold me, or the EJ EH sedan brakes. They must be straight LC LJ brakes.

FB ute driver, EK van project

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Interesting. Measured 7mm step Rob, but as you say the difference will probably be 12.7 mm. This could be just what I need to solve my wheel offset issue. Possibly I could fit longer studs and spacers behind eh drums where plod won’t see them on the Torana axles.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Except that EH drums won't go properly onto a Torana rear axle - you'll see a wide gap between the drum and the backing plate, with lots of exposed lining.

I've just looked back at your photos. I think the drum in your first photo (inch rule) is HR. In EH drums, the outside of the drum is at about the same height as the flange (second photo, millimetres). And in Torana drums, the centre flange sits waaay proud of the rest of the drum.

Dumb question coming up: Is your rear axle really Torana, and not EH? To adapt a Torana rear axle to early Holden, you need to cut all of the four-link paraphenalia off (leaving visible scars top and bottom), and attach good old rear leaf saddles and model-appropriate bump stops. And put the brake pipe bracket in the correct location. But you have to do that with EH rear axle too.

So I'm confused.

Rob
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

(Clay: Further comments will be posted on your ute thread.)
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Yes definitely LC LJ and much narrower. The brakes then are probably HD HR. The offset is opposite to Torana, relative to EH.

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Here is a photo of Torana drum from gumtreeImage
Ever tried fitting FE EH wheels to these drums? I wonder if the Torana front discs would take the EH centres, or still foul calipers like HR.

EK van on rotisserie
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Clay,

FE-EH wheels will go on LC-J front drums. They won't quite manage LC-J front discs, but I have a memory of EH wheels going on LH front discs and calipers OK.

(And it's been so long since I last worked on a Torana that I can't remember if front and rear drums are the same.)

Rob
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Thanks Rob

EK van on rotisserie