Grey motor heads

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

browny
State: NOT ENTERED

Grey motor heads

Post by browny »

Are the all the same ?
Harv
State: NSW

Re: Grey motor heads

Post by Harv »

From what I understand, they are similar, though some changes were made mid-FJ that makes pushrod length different, and another change at FB that incorporated a heater water outlet hole. May well be more changes.

Cheers,
Harv.
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
browny

Post by browny »

thanks harv,went and had a look at a ej wreck had the head off the motor plus another spare might work one up, when say doing a grey motor up raising compression to zero the block or shave the head is preffered just wondering...
Harv

Post by Harv »

I've been thinking the same thing... I've got a grey motor sitting on an engine stand, and the temptation to work it up and fit triples is getting the best of me. I worked out that I must be nuts when I caught myself bidding on the eBay triple Strommie manifold - need to finish the V8 project first :oops: :lol: .

The easiest way to go would be to buy Fingers head and go from there - would probably save several hundred dollars that way:
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=15990

Cheers,
Harv.
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
choppedfan

Post by choppedfan »

Harv wrote:I've been thinking the same thing... I've got a grey motor sitting on an engine stand, and the temptation to work it up and fit triples is getting the best of me. I worked out that I must be nuts when I caught myself bidding on the eBay triple Strommie manifold - need to finish the V8 project first :oops: :lol: .

The easiest way to go would be to buy Fingers head and go from there - would probably save several hundred dollars that way:
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=15990

Cheers,
Harv.
C'mon Harv,

Come over to the world of vintage speed,

There's nothing better than going fast slowly :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mick 8)
Attachments
phpPRkVNuAM.jpg
phpPRkVNuAM.jpg (45.06 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
browny

Post by browny »

getting even more tempting might pull the motor out of my ute for a freshen up and put aside , and go get that block out of the ej and work that...
browny

Post by browny »

whats some hp figures from worked grey motors?
GreyEJ
State: VIC

Post by GreyEJ »

How worked?

Cross flow heads? ~150hp +

Non cross flow < 150hp with lots of revs

Rotary valve heads upto 200hp
Stygian

Post by Stygian »

browno wrote:whats some hp figures from worked grey motors?
Probably around a 50% increase in power from stock on average, which would mean about 110bhp (about the same as a reconditioned stock 179). Not much really, but it does make a difference. It does not make for a fast car by today's standards, but a somewhat spritely one which doesn't die going up hills. In my opinion, you pretty much hot the grey up because your into period speed stuff; or you want to avoid having to alter the vehicle too much (e.g., disc brake front end, collapsible steering column). Hotted up greys also look good and sound sensational. But you can get far more power from a red motor for the same money, and even more from a V6.
GreyEJ

Post by GreyEJ »

Stygian wrote:But you can get far more power from a red motor for the same money, and even more from a V6.
And thats way we love gray motors! It's cool and different. If I want a fast car I'll get a SS for 15 grand
GreyEJ

Post by GreyEJ »

I found my emails from Rod who does teh reproduction Xflow heads and with his head and cam setup thy say you can get 200+ bhp. Thats what they claim anyway.
Stygian

Post by Stygian »

GreyFC wrote:If I want a fast car I'll get a SS for 15 grand
Yep and you'd get half decent chassis dynamics, suspension, brakes and handling - and all without getting it engineered.
MeFB

Post by MeFB »

I'm doing my research on building my own hottie grey and, as usual, I have given it way too much thought :?

The question I asked my self is; "when does a grey motor stop being a grey motor" :think: :wtf:

I decided that I would keep the major components original and just work on them to get the best (driveable) performance.

One interesting mod that I've seen is adding roller rockers. Not sure how well that worked long-term without hydraulic lifters, but still a very interesting idea :o

The biggest thing I'm toying with is a low-boost supercharger, maybe a vintage Paxton? Teeheehee :ebiggrin:

:arrow: :D
Alan
Member No.1 of the FB EK Holden Car Club of WA (Woo-hoo :D sweet!)
Stygian

Post by Stygian »

MeFB wrote: I decided that I would keep the major components original and just work on them to get the best (driveable) performance.
Well, in that case, you should have bought Steve's Snowcrest White / Cameo Beige EK sedan that had the Cameo flashline flashkit. It had a mild grey (twin Strombergs, 25/65 cam) and it was quite drivable and spritely. I know because I used it as a wedding car.
choppedfan

Post by choppedfan »

MeFB wrote:I'm doing my research on building my own hottie grey and, as usual, I have given it way too much thought :?

The question I asked my self is; "when does a grey motor stop being a grey motor" :think: :wtf:

I decided that I would keep the major components original and just work on them to get the best (driveable) performance.

One interesting mod that I've seen is adding roller rockers. Not sure how well that worked long-term without hydraulic lifters, but still a very interesting idea :o

The biggest thing I'm toying with is a low-boost supercharger, maybe a vintage Paxton? Teeheehee :ebiggrin:

:arrow: :D
As far as superchargers go you can forget Paxton blowers unless you've got plenty of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ a good alternative is the SC14 found on Toyota's, I've been looking at these for a while now and there are kits to make them a "bolt on" to red motors. Relatively cheap and they are reasonably plentiful they seem a good thing (to me anyway), I'm in the throws of putting my old 36 F O R D back on the road but will take a serious look at the SC14 option for the grey in my ute when the 36 is finished :thumbsup:

Sorry for getting of the original subject of grey heads :oops: :oops: but couldn't help commenting when supercharged grey motors were mentioned.

Mick 8)