'46 Chev RHD conversion

Got something else that you want to show off that's not an FB or EK? Try this section.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

'46 Chev RHD conversion

Post by Blacky »

Made a start on the '46 this weekend , figured it was the only car I own that runs properly so the only sensible thing to do would be pull it to bits.

Plan is to convert to RHD , brake booster on firewall , fit seatbelts , rewire and replace the glass then rego.

Bought a HT front end off a mate which is already rebuilt and set up with Jag power rack , drop spindles , P76 rotors etc.

Removed the old front suspension on Sunday and dummied up the new one

Propped the body up on jackstands and supported the donk with an engine crane, too lazy to remove the front sheetmetal :ebiggrin:

once everything is out of the way I ended up with this -

Made some plates out of 10mm plate , drilled and tapped them to pick up the original front end mounting holes -

When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Blacky

Re: '46 Chev RHD conversion

Post by Blacky »

.... then bolted it in - pieca cake 8) 8) 8)
Took it off the stands , and it sat like this - a bit too low , couldn't get the jack out from under it :twisted: .

The front end had drop spindles so I took them out and fitted standard ones which got the ride height where I need it to be -

The steering rack fitted in perfectly , exactly midway between the chassis rail and the starter motor :thumbsup:

Dummied up a steering column , looks pretty easy to marry the two up once the unis arrive

this weekend I am hoping to get the engine mounts finished , and last night I yanked a pedal box out of an FB wagon so hopefully that will fit in OK.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

FBeing
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by FBeing »

:thumbsup:
muza

Post by muza »

Man that is 1 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) car!!!!
FB Holden Fernando Yellow/Arctic Beige flash
Stock as a rock
75 series Landcruiser 350 Chev
Not so stock
Trev

Post by Trev »

Easy as that hey Blacky :wink: :D
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Nice work Blacky.
fingers
State: VIC

Post by fingers »

cool ride Blacky ..interesting rebuild mate .....keep the photos coming ......Fingers
Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Only got half a day in this weekend , got the engine mounts sorted though...

Made a template out of an old welding rod to get the dimensions right

Cut them to size as per the template and fitted spot on :thumbsup:

Kinda ballsed up the holes , drilled them 20mm but were supposed to be 25mm :oops: used the old holesaw inside another holesaw trick to fix it up.

Glued them on , made a gusset and welded that in too , the front mount is the radiator support bracket.

Painted it black and whacked it back in , just got sway bar mount to sort out and thats the front end done. :D

NoMAD

Post by NoMAD »

I would hate to see a fully finished car in your shed... it wouldn't be right... sweet as mate... looks cool... i liked it with the drop spindles! plenty of shiny bits on that body as well!

cheers
Nathan
FB/EK Holden Car Club of W.A. Inc
Foundation Member
searsy

Post by searsy »

more now please
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Progress has been a bit slow on this and everything else lately :cry: have been a bit crook - had a little "holiday" at a couple of hospitals :cry: - they still dont know whats wrong with me and I have NO energy - couldnt even get through a full day at work pushing a desk let alone doing any real work. Most of the time at home I am parked up behind the computer or watching the occasional video.'

I have stripped out the wireing , dash , exhaust , fuel and brake lines etc and fabricated a K frame and some rear shock mounts
Heres some of the original wiring -

Repaired a bit of rust - all I found in it was these two bits :D :D
Removed some of the old bits that werent up to scratch-
Glued in a K frame/gearbox mount/tailshaft loop
and some handbrake cable brackets

Painted underneath

and thats about all that I have managed since April 19 which is when I went into hospital - and most of this wouldn't have happened without the help of my clubmates who have pitched in and helped me get it ready for July inspections so we can send it to Adelaide in August for the Cranksters Victoria chapter Nagambie weekend.

Harko

Post by Harko »

This is cool Blacky , Im a first time veiwer here and as usual I like the same stuff :)
One day Im gonna be the guy that runs out of the crowd of onlookers and says Hey Blacky (Harko) is there room in there for me to do a lap 8)

I went up to Sydneys Cafe de wheels on Fri night , two cars took my eye

Which sported the coolest option ever on the planet

Chevy bombs and lowriders , yeah.

The other car that we all gorked at for a while was this Chevy Bomb

a closer nlook reveals its a sedan cowl and if your intrigued as I was you can study the rest :) through what seems like the same beer goggles I hyad on at the time.

We gorked at this too , 3 cop cars at crispy creame donuts
Sorry for the bad photo of the 3 cop cars because as soon as they got a donut in their mouth they were like in hot pursuit and left , surprisingly no drama with the event despite wankers in rotaries dropping sets to jeopardise it .
Easily distracted angle manipulator extrordinaire.
Mick
State: NSW

Post by Mick »

fo rd harko :ewink: it could be home made from the cowl back, it belongs to zelucavich (not sure on spelling) he had a '34 sedan delivery it was for sale minus what is now the front of this car, it to was home made from an XD f ord :shock:
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Harko

Post by Harko »

yeah i messed that up ,must reread before posting
Easily distracted angle manipulator extrordinaire.
searsy

Post by searsy »

Progress has been a bit slow on this and everything else lately have been a bit crook - had a little "holiday" at a couple of hospitals - they still dont know whats wrong with me and I have NO energy - couldnt even get through a full day at work pushing a desk let alone doing any real work. Most of the time at home I am parked up behind the computer or watching the occasional video.'
Hope ya feeling better soon fella