SPEEDO STUCK

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

MUNDIES
State: NOT ENTERED

SPEEDO STUCK

Post by MUNDIES »

Hello Folks, This is my first posting on this forum. Hope all goes well. My problem is that my speedo (orange line ) is sticking and staying stuck until I disconect the speedo cable. When this is done the speedo falls back to zero. Then I connect it up again take it for a spin , and yep it sticks again. All was OK a while ago until I replaced a leaking/cracked speedo cable with a new one. All worked OK for about 40ks. I have an 'Hydramatic" - dont hold that against me! so the speedo cable is different to a manual one. A mechanic has suggested that I get another speedo and whack it in. The existing one is in excellent condition and is showing the original milage. I've also noticed that mine has 'MILES' above the word HOLDEN and a very small number 127 just below the high beam indicator light on the dial , whilst I've noticed on ebay just the letters AC above the word holden. Any thoughts guys??

Got a pretty shity speedo off evilbay. I cant seem to see how I could salvage any parts from it to put in/or replace the stuffed speedo. I've been told that there is an instrument repair place called 'HOWARDS' , who will charge $200 plus parts to fix. Unless someone out there in FB/EK land can offer some advice it looks like thats the way I'll go. Has anyone been down this track before??
fingers
State: VIC

Re: SPEEDO STUCK

Post by fingers »

Welcome to the forum mate .........how are you going with your speedo problem ....i must admit my thoughts were a stuffed cable but you eliminated that by fitting a new lubed up cable .....if your in victoria and near Drouin drop in and we can try another speedo I have several ...........Fingers
Don’t you find it Funny that after Monday(M) and Tuesday(T), the rest of the week says WTF?
Trev

Post by Trev »

Welcome, FB's had AC and EK's had Miles (or vica versa) .
I would have said stuffed cable too, speedo's arn't that hard to come by, maybe you could buy one from Fingers :thumbsup: .
It sometimes helps to put your location in your profile so someone local can help out :wink: ,Trev.
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

You could pull the speedo apart and use either a light oil (sewing machine/RCcar oil/RP7) or graphite powder to free it up a little. I have done this before. Just be careful to only use one option not all! Dont mix graphite powder with oil.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
minifb

Post by minifb »

Ive got heaps if you need one
:) :) Cheers Mark
FB/EKForum member 123
ImageWoofto Car Club Member No4

IF ITS NOT CHOPPED IT MAY ASWELL BE RESTORED

Member FB-EK Holden Car Club of NSW Inc.
Paul M

Post by Paul M »

Hi All,
I'm trying to get son's speedo going, I removed it from the outter casing as it said in the manual & oiled it but I think the tip is missing off the speedo head end. Could anyone advise?
Regards, Paul
Attachments
Speedo Cable.jpg
Speedo Cable.jpg (55.29 KiB) Viewed 2716 times
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

It seems to be OK - bit hard to tell in that photo , give the back of the speedo head a spin with your finger , it should take off a little if its OK
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Paul M

Post by Paul M »

G'Day Blacky,
The speedo does kick up when I spin the brass bush. Should the speedo head end of the cable have a bare metal tip like the gear box end?
Regards, Paul
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Should have flats ground into it - can you refit the speedo cable , leave it hanging below the dash and drive the car so you can check its turning ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

MeFB

Post by MeFB »

Hi Mundies :thumbsup:

I'm not sure why, but I'm not keen on your username. I can see no reasons, cos there are no reasons

Can someone tell me why I don't like Mundies?

:arrow: :D
Alan
Member No.1 of the FB EK Holden Car Club of WA (Woo-hoo :D sweet!)
holdenutechick
State: NSW

Post by holdenutechick »

When I read Mundies I thought of what my Mum used to call man undies (old worn out pair of undies usually full of holes) and the other thing I thought of was mouldy undies (that ones self explanatory)

As for the speedo check the gears a common problem with stuck needles in newer cars like the older commodores is gunk on the gears usually old lubricant causing sticking, or a broken or worn teeth causing the cogs not to engage properly
~Allison
My project:
'60 Holden FB ute

Other family projects:
Mum's '54 FJ Holden Special Sedan
Farm Bedford grain truck
Bluehaze

Post by Bluehaze »

Hi Mundies. I remember having a similar problem many years back with my EK. Turned out the cable went too far into the speedo, and got into the works where it didn't belong. Perhaps you can shift the brass collar on the cable inner closer to the end if the cable, so only 5 mild or so enters the speedo.
GreyPride

Post by GreyPride »

MeFb......
Tell me why you "don't Like Mundies"
what reasons do you need to be sure?
I smell a (Boomtown) rat!!! :wink34:
62 Silverton Grey Utility with Matador Red and Mawson Grey interior!
Paul M

Post by Paul M »

Hi All,
Back again... Disconnected the cable from the speedo head & found that it's not turning.
Heated up the brass bush & moved it down as Blue Haze suggested (in case it needed to go into the gearbox further) but it still doesn't turn.
The car has a HT 3 Speed column shift gearbox & a 202 red motor. My son Kynan got a cable from Rares ages ago but he said it’s never worked since it was installed. Anything else I can try?
Regards, Paul
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Next step - pull it out of the gearbox and make sure the driven gear is ok , and look inside the gearbox and check the drive gear , maybe the locking clip has come adrift and its not turning with the output shaft - this happened to my mates car just last week.
We had to drop the tailshaft , remove the extension housing , refit the drive gear and clip , then put it all back together again. Total time for the job was about 4 stubbies each :lol: