cigarette lighter

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

holdenutechick
State: NSW

cigarette lighter

Post by holdenutechick »

I have a cigarette lighter it's black plastic doesn't look like it belongs, I've seen 2 different lighters on ebay claiming to be FB/EK just wondering what an original lighter for a ute looked like?
~Allison
My project:
'60 Holden FB ute

Other family projects:
Mum's '54 FJ Holden Special Sedan
Farm Bedford grain truck
rosco
State: VIC

Re: cigarette lighter

Post by rosco »

With mine,
which was a totally original car (except for one windscreen and 1 set of tyres.... petrol, oil etc).. the knob on the cigarette lighter had the same profile as the dash control knobs......save for the insert and dished top...... I'll go look for a pic...

frats,
Rosco
holdenutechick

Post by holdenutechick »

~Allison
My project:
'60 Holden FB ute

Other family projects:
Mum's '54 FJ Holden Special Sedan
Farm Bedford grain truck
Harv

Post by Harv »

G'day Utechick,

According to Smooth, the FB/EK ones should be black plastic:
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... =cigarette
If you haven't seen some of the correspondence before, Smooth is somewhat of a NASCO guru - like all of us not infallible, but has owned more GMH accesories than most (I also owe him a beer for the help he have me on heaters). From memory Smooth decided to no longer visit this forum and built his own - you'll find it here: http://earlyholdens.com/phpBB2/index.php.

The Holden FB Parts Catalogue lists a single NASCO cigarette lighter (7414173). The line art is similar to the dash knobs as Rosco mentioned, but has no "ridges" around the edges. The line art in the early documentation though is somewhat suspect... have seen some interesting glitches when pulling together info for the various Guides.

The Master Old Farts Dogologue lists the following:
, which would suggest that there were at least two different cigarette lighters for FB's (milled and unmilled) and that EK's had a CUNO lighter.

I've owned black plastic ones that look pretty damn similar to the ones you buy at SuperCheap... never been confident whether they were or weren't genuine GMH though. I've also owned chromed CASCO and CUNO lighters that have come with various vehicles and boxes of parts (sadly I sold them for tuppence or gave them away when I shifted overseas and figured I'd never want a car with a cigarette lighter in it... along with taxi bars, HR disks/joints, a grey motor and box other gear I could really use now...hindsight is 20/20). The CASCO and CUNO ones were again similar to the dash knobs - could have been FE/FC for all I know, but sure looked the part.

Cheers,
Harv.
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
rosco

Post by rosco »

Hi again,
I've been slack on this - but did take a peek at the two on ebay.... I don't believe the first one is anything like mine.... the second one is close - but the pic isn't clear.
As Harv has stated - and I would back Smooth in on this - there were two available - I don't have any reference for the part numbers.
I can, however - post the transcript from the workshop manual:

"Cigarette Lighter
(Models 225 and 229 only)
Two different makes of cigarette lighter are used in production. Casco and Cuno. For identification purposes, each lighter has the manufacturer's name stamped clearly on the plunger. In addition, the Casco lighter has a knurled chrome ring on the outer end of the main housing, and an ash shield around the plunger element. Componenet parts of Casco and Cuno lighters are NOT interchangeable."

I'll try and get a pic of mine up tonight .... I couldn't find one in my pix - so, am doing myself some lip-service by adding one...

frats,
Rosco
rosco

Post by rosco »

Hi again,
just jumped onto this.
Two pix - hot off the presses....... in one, the CASCO stamping can be clearly seen on the barrel.
Both show the knurled knob with slightly domed top...

frats,
Rosco
BILLY BLACKARROW

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

I am confused I have two of each of the lighters shown I think the one on the right is EH/HR the one on the left I think is FB/EK they both have CASCO stamped on them I don't have any of the one rosco is showing

rosco wrote:Hi again,
just jumped onto this.
Two pix - hot off the presses....... in one, the CASCO stamping can be clearly seen on the barrel.
Both show the knurled knob with slightly domed top...

frats,
Rosco
Can someone enlighten me, let me know which one is FB

BILLY :arrow:
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
WayneXG95

Post by WayneXG95 »

Throw them away you shouldn't be smoking anyway. ... :mrgreen:
Wayne Chambers
President
FB EK Holden Car Club of N.S.W
BILLY BLACKARROW

Tell me how bad I don't smoke anymore I have emphysema (NOT GOOD) just want to put something in the hole to stop any possable chance of something fulling in there and shorting things out but still be able to use it for GPS or phone charger .
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
BILLY BLACKARROW

Help anyone
BILLY BLACKARROW
Harv

Post by Harv »

Billy,

I would use the lighter that you have on the left of the photos, with the black plastic knob. It is closest to the ones Rosco shows. The other (metal knobbed) lighter would look more at home in an EJ/EH.

At the end of the day, there were a few CASCO and CUNO options. Many were probably retrofitted in the 70's/80's. The black plastic knobbed one you have will look a lot more period correct than a modern lighter from SuperCheap (the type with the cigarette/smoke motif on it). Unless you want a 110% factory correct vehicle, don't worry about the tiny chance that it is not the correct one.

Make sure though that you test the lighter well... some of the older ones become weak in the tension. When the get hot and "pop up", they jump out of the lighter base... and onto your lap, or the carpet.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
BILLY BLACKARROW

Thanks Harv
With a 305 chev it's not going to be period correct like I said earlier just want something to fill the hole that wont look out of place, and now that you mentioned it I do remember the lighter jumping out and that was in the 70s :gasp: :gasp: so what will they be like now.
BILLY BLACKARROW