Remote Oil Filter and Oil pressure gauge

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

dab102
State: NOT ENTERED

Remote Oil Filter and Oil pressure gauge

Post by dab102 »

I am about to install an AC remote oil filter on my grey motor.Does anyone have any advice regarding the size of the reduction hole in the oil return line.The oil filter document mentions this hole should be 1.5 mm to maintain oil pressure in the engine,but the hose connector I have has a 2.5mm hole.Will this be OK or should I get a connector with a 1.5 mm restrictor?
Also, I want to at some stage add an oil pressure gauge (mechanical with tube),but still maintain the oil pressure telltale light.What is the best setup for this situation?
Harv
State: NSW

Re: Remote Oil Filter and Oil pressure gauge

Post by Harv »

Dab102,

The dimension in the oil filter document came from a single restrictor I was able to pull apart and measure - take it as guidance rather than mandatory as I didn't measure a few hundred of them :oops: . I could not find a documented restrictor diameter anywhere.

Try the 2.5mm restrictor:
a) bolt up the new filter, with the exception of the oil supply line. Do this now so there is not a big delay between a) and d) as your hearing can "magically" change over hours/days/weeks.
b) start your car from cold and listen carefully to how rattly the tappets are.
c) install the oil supply line off the pressure switch tee and add about a litre of so of oil to the sump (it's nicer to fill/prime the oil filter... but messy).
d) start the car from cold again and listen carefully - have the tappets got rattly (first sign of starvation)? If so, you need a smaller restrictor.
e) check the oil level, then go for a drive, keeping a good eye on the oil light - if it comes on (especially at low revs/cold) you need a smaller restrictor.

If you install the oil gauge first, you can use the before/after readings to reinforce the above testing - the oil filter isntallation should not significantly drop oil pressure. Good location for the gauge is to tee-off the oil pressure sender (same place the filter tee goes)... plumbing can be a little messy.

Cheers,
Harv (chief apprentice oil fiter fiddler).
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
dab102
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by dab102 »

Cheers Harv,I've just ordered an oil pressure gauge and chased up the T piece,and was thinking along the same lines as your suggestion.I'm going to setup the gauge first and check the pressures before adding the filter.The VDO extension I have that screws into the block has a 1.5mm restrictor hole already,so I think that will stop the top of the motor from being starved of oil.I'll let you know how i go.Jeffro :thumbsup:
FbSTDwagon
State: SA

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Hey guys, I’m just about to fire up my new engine with a remote full flow filter.

Does the full flow need the 1.5 - 2.5mm restrictor also?

Or is that just for the AC bypass filter?

Cheers Drew
Drew
Harv

Post by Harv »

It depends very much on how the "full flow" filter has been plumbed.

If it takes oil from the pump discharge, filters it, then returns it back to the oil gallery then no need for a restrictor. In this case the restrictor would starve the bearings.

If it takes oil from the pump discharge, filters it, then returns it to the sump then a restrictor is needed to avoid starving the bearings.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FbSTDwagon
State: SA

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Cheers Harv.

That makes sense.

It’s plumbed directly back into the block where the oil pressure switch is on the gallery at the cam shaft.

Should be ok!

Cheers
Drew
Harv

Post by Harv »

Should be fine without the restrictor.

Keep a close eye on the idiot light/pressure gauge when you first start it up, and for the first few runs under load. Just in case there is some kind of error in the plumbing or parts.

Cheers,
Harv