Fibreglass panels... any info?

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Fibreglass panels... any info?

Post by Harv »

HGPV's post below reminded me that I needed to ask some questions:
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=14417

I've seen fibreglass FB/EK guards discussed, and I know some guys have got them. A heap of hunting though and I can't find too much info on them (EJ/EH and Monaro guards though are fairly common). Same story on bonnets - have seen one advertised on Gumtree a year or so back, but couldn't get the seller to talk to me about buying it :( . Haven't seen anything on any of the other hanging panels been done in fibreglass (front valance, boot, doors, tailgates). I've spoken to a number of the shops doing the EJ/EH/Monaro guards, none of whom were able to shed any light on FB/EK gear.

Link to some stuff on fibreglass tonneaus for utes (... caveat emptor):
http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.ph ... pic=5056.0

Some questions please:
a) anyone have any fibreglass panels they want to sell (longshot....)?
b) anyone have the moulds to make them? I guess the moulds must be a mongrel to make, so probably havn't been thrown out from the bonnet and guards made above.
c) anyone know any history (anecdotes, legends and "Canadian motor" stories welcome :ebiggrin: ) of guys who may have run them or have made them?
d) anyone got the skill and interest to make them if order numbers were large enough? I guess we could get one of the shops above to do it, but quality and timing are likely to be better if an enthusiast is running the show.

Looking for some leads to start the search (my fibreglassing can't be any worse than my welding :mrgreen: ).

Cheers,
Harv.
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Harv

Re: Fibreglass panels... any info?

Post by Harv »

I'm putting this info here because at the moment it is in the For Sale/Wanted area and may dissapear over time.

Two trails being hunted down for sources of fibreglass panels:
a) Jeff Hislop (once had fibreglass panels for a drag car and may be getting rid of some new old stock), and
b) Rod Andrews Race cars in Seven Hills, who has moulds for bonnet, guards, boot lid and front doors.

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 59#p144559

(with thanks to Mick, Stanley and Boppo for tracking them down - great work gentlemen 8) ).

Cheers,
Harv.
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Harv

Post by Harv »

An old thread, but some new info.

I dropped around to Rod Andrew's Race Cars last week, and bought the fibreglass moulds that he had. I now have:
a) left and right front guards. These are a two piece mould to allow the guard leading face to come out once cured.
b) bonnet (mould for outer skin only)
c) boot lid (mould for outer skin only).
d) left and right front doors. These are a two piece mould to allow both the inner and the outer door to be produced.

Rod also had the front and rear bumper moulds (cast as one piece with overriders) but is still trying to locate them. Rod used them to make panels for this beastie: http://www.andrewsracecars.com.au/gallery46.html. The moulds have only had two sets of panels cast in them.

No immediate plans to cast panels, but may end up doing some in the future for the meth monster project. If anyone has a desire to get some panels cast out of the moulds, let me know.

Cheers,
Harv
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

MAAAAATTTTEEEE , I am trying to locate a 1 piece fibreglass front for a project I am gathering bits for - a pair of 'glass guards and a 'glass bonnet might get me sorted . Talk to ya in Renmark 8) 8) 8) 8)
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
MickFB265

Post by MickFB265 »

G'day Harv- did Andrew's race cars ever get back to you in regard to the rear bumper mould?

Reason I ask is No 1 I don't have a rear bumper at all and No 2 I'd like to start by fibreglassing something small.

Cheers

Mick
Harv

Post by Harv »

Starting to get a bit more serious on the meth monster project. Aiming to run glass panels where I can.

Overkill? Yep. But I'm in this project to have some fun and learn, not have the worlds fastest or most cost effective car (a Chev implant would have made that somewhat easier :P ).

NSW light vehicle modification guidelines are pretty similar to NCOP. In a nutshell, I am allowed to replace original bolt-on mudguards, bonnet, or boot lid with identical fibreglass panels, but would need engineering approval to replace body panels where the original panels were welded on or where
structural integrity is affected.

Hmmm..... Houston, we have a problem. I've got moulds for bonnet, boot and guards which are OK. But I'm keen to use the fibreglass door moulds too. They aren't welded on, but might be considered part of the structural integrity. The engineer was a bit hesitant on approving them, so ideally need a non-engineered way of using them.

A quick call to the RMS Technical Department says that the only reason the doors would be considered structural is if they had to comply with anti-intrusion ADRs. They looked it up while we were talking, and ADR29 for Side Door Strength came into force from January 1st 1977. Given the vehicle predates this, it is acceptable to use fibreglass doors. Sometimes I win :mrgreen:

Have made some enquiries, and asked for a quote from the local fibreglass mob (Custom Fibreglassing at Guildford) to lay a set of panels up. Will post up here as I progress along.

Cheers,
Harv
Attachments
boot reverse side.jpg
boot reverse side.jpg (158.21 KiB) Viewed 918 times
boot layup side.jpg
boot layup side.jpg (105.21 KiB) Viewed 918 times
bonnet side profile.jpg
bonnet side profile.jpg (156.78 KiB) Viewed 918 times
bonnet reverse side.jpg
bonnet reverse side.jpg (157.36 KiB) Viewed 918 times
bonnet layup side.jpg
bonnet layup side.jpg (119.17 KiB) Viewed 918 times
Last edited by Harv on Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harv

Post by Harv »

door outer skin reverse side.jpg
door outer skin reverse side.jpg (153.73 KiB) Viewed 917 times
door outer skin layup side.jpg
door outer skin layup side.jpg (118.92 KiB) Viewed 917 times
door inner skin reverse side.jpg
door inner skin reverse side.jpg (164.93 KiB) Viewed 917 times
door inner skin layup side.jpg
door inner skin layup side.jpg (174.58 KiB) Viewed 917 times
door inner and outer moulds assembled.jpg
door inner and outer moulds assembled.jpg (146.76 KiB) Viewed 917 times
boot side profile.jpg
boot side profile.jpg (165.92 KiB) Viewed 917 times
Harv

Post by Harv »

mudguard three pieces moulds assembled.jpg
mudguard three pieces moulds assembled.jpg (170.98 KiB) Viewed 916 times
mudguard main panel reverse side.jpg
mudguard main panel reverse side.jpg (158.93 KiB) Viewed 916 times
mudguard main panel layup side.jpg
mudguard main panel layup side.jpg (152.72 KiB) Viewed 916 times
mudguard lip reverse side.jpg
mudguard lip reverse side.jpg (200.44 KiB) Viewed 916 times
mudguard lip layup side.jpg
mudguard lip layup side.jpg (209.93 KiB) Viewed 916 times
mudguard front panel reverse side.jpg
mudguard front panel reverse side.jpg (189.95 KiB) Viewed 916 times
mudguard front panel layup side.jpg
mudguard front panel layup side.jpg (193.85 KiB) Viewed 916 times
Cheers,
Harv
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Cool as $*#@ Harv. A lot of work in casting the panels, let alone building the moulds.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FbSTDwagon

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Yep this is super cool project, surely there would be demand for production runs if you got it sorted out!
Drew
gledge

Post by gledge »

How much weight reduction do you think will be in fibreglass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Harv

Post by Harv »

Depends a bit on how heavy he lays the panels up. 50-75% reduction is typical.

Cheers,
Harv
Mick

Post by Mick »

seeing as my doors have lots of filler i have considered having molds made to make outer fiberglass skins and use panel glue to attach them to the inner frame
there's a pair of fiberglass guards on gumtree (been there a while may have sold and seller to lazy to remove add) if there was a cheap simple way of getting them from SA i'd buy them to use also
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I’m happy to pick them up Mick. May be able to get them brought back your way by someone returning from the nationals.

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Mick

Post by Mick »

Errol62 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:00 pm I’m happy to pick them up Mick. May be able to get them brought back your way by someone returning from the nationals.

thanks, nationals are still a long way off i could be dead by then, and they're big so someone having the room could be an issue
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter