FB/EK Holden NASCO windshield washer enthusiasts guide

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

FB/EK Holden NASCO windshield washer enthusiasts guide

Post by Harv »

Ladies and Gents,

As promised, please find below the first pass of the FB/EK Holden Nasco windshield washer enthusiasts guide (with thanks to Andrew for setting up the host link). I've posted it in General Sharing Advice and Experience, though if it has a better home on the site I'm happy for the mods to move it.

This document aims to provide some information regarding the NASCO windshield washers fitted to FB and EK Holdens. It contains
:mrgreen: historical information, such as which washers were advertised for different model Holdens,
:mrgreen: practical information on identification, disassembly and reassembly of FB and EK Holden washers, and
:mrgreen: guidance on replacement parts and overhaul techniques.
It contains answers to many of the questions that seem to come up routinely on most of the early Holden forums:
“Where do I connect the washer hoses to?”
“Is anyone making aftermarket washer nozzles?”
“My washers don’t work anymore… can I replace them?”

http://www.scribd.com/full/52759445?acc ... xhdfp90wj5

Happy to recieve any feedback for changes or ammendments.

Cheers,
Harv (chief apprentice winshield washer fiddler).
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
samprinci
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: FB/EK Holden NASCO windshield washer enthusiasts guide

Post by samprinci »

thanks Harv.. thats brilliant!!!

will be doing that soon to my Ej, so it going to come in handy 4 sure.

laters
:wink:
Join the fun! Join the club! - FB-EK Holden Car Club of NSW
www.fbekholdennsw.com
Thommo

Post by Thommo »

Fantastic Harv 8)
Another outstanding contribution to the forum :wink:
Well done & thank you for you efforts :D

Cheers
Jeff
fbvan

Post by fbvan »

Great research Harv. Thanks for your efforts. I will contact Mark Richmond and get some nozzles.
This has given me the solution to my problem of fitting washers that look original.

Regards

Brian
parisian62

Post by parisian62 »

What an amazing effort Harv. A lot of time and effort has gone into that research and information.

Thanks for sharing. 8)

regards
Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
Harv

Post by Harv »

Some interesting replies from Ken Mclean on the FE/FC forum :D :

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.ph ... 347.0.html

Looks like the plastic hanging bag (with footpump) may have been an original NASCO accessory for FB/EKs 8) .

Interesting that the legendary FB/EK electric washers may very well be the Lucas square-jar ones that are being repro'd in the UK by Holden Vintage and Classic Ltd (same as for E-type jags and Aston Martins - see picture below).

Anybody have views as to whether this is not plausible, or had a set of these in their FB/EK?

At 158 Pounds Sterling ($245) plus freight, the repros are not cheap, but almost comparible to getting hold of an original vacuum washer set.
http://www.holden.co.uk/search.asp?sear ... =&pageno=3

327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
MeFB

Post by MeFB »

Just finished installing my NOS Trico vacuum washer set in the FB today. It works a treat!

There's a couple of tips that people might find useful.

1. The Trico washer jets were the correct thread to fit into the FB wiper surrounds. The jets in my kit were for bonnet mounting, but you can unscrew the actual jet part and it fits right into the wiper surrounds. These jets are always advertised on UK Ebay and are easy to find.

2. My FB has been converted to electric wipers, but the old wiper vacuum pump was still working. A lot of people think that the vacuum for the wipers came from the manifold, but it didn't on the FB's, it came from a dedicated pump that is part of the fuel pump assembly. This overcame the problem of the wipers slowing down when you were going up hills or accelerating hard. I used this to supply the vacuum to my washers as it is in a very handy position for it. I'll add a tee into this line when I go back to the vacuum wipers.

Happy days :thumbsup:

:arrow: :D

Forgot - read Harv's guide before doing this job! I couldn't have done it without it :thumbsup:
Alan
Member No.1 of the FB EK Holden Car Club of WA (Woo-hoo :D sweet!)
WayneXG95

Post by WayneXG95 »

MeFB wrote:A lot of people think that the vacuum for the wipers came from the manifold, but it didn't on the FB's, it came from a dedicated pump that is part of the fuel pump assembly. This overcame the problem of the wipers slowing down when you were going up hills or accelerating hard. I used this to supply the vacuum to my washers as it is in a very handy position for it. I'll add a tee into this line when I go back to the vacuum wipers.
Sorry I'm a little lost here.
Here's some pics of what was left of the vacuum system in my FB
it clearly shows the attachment to the manifold in both my engine and the manual.

Isn't the vacuum you refer to in the fuel pump used to draw fuel from the tank?

:?
Wayne Chambers
President
FB EK Holden Car Club of N.S.W
MeFB

Post by MeFB »

Hi Wayne,

Yeah, I might not have written that very well. Apologies for the confusion.

On the FX to FB models with the vacuum wipers, the fuel pump also has a vacuum booster pump mounted underneath. This supplies extra vacuum when the vacuum supplied by the manifold drops off (low revs, going up hills etc). This keeps the wipers going at a reasonable speed.

The top half of the pump is a pretty standard fuel pump with a line in from the tank and out to the carby.

In addition to this, a vacuum line runs from the inlet manifold to the front of the vacuum booster pump assembly which is mounted underneath the fuel pump. A flexible hose comes off the back of the pump and goes up to the wiper motor.

There's a great shot of the fuel / vacuum pump on Steve's thread about his ugly duckling FC below. In this shot the flexible vacuum hose has been removed from the back of the pump, but you can see the curved spigot that it slides onto (just next to the crankcase breather tube).

Here's another good shot from the front showing the fuel pump on top and the vacuum booster pump below. It's a big lump of a thing, isn't it?

Alan
WayneXG95

Post by WayneXG95 »

OK Here's the one on the FB when I brought it.
That's all I had to go on hence the confusion. :?

But I knew I had one in the parts bin and here it is, same as the one on Steve's FC.?
All it has on it is AC and Made in England, no numbers I can find :(

Obviously collected by the previous owner who must have had plans. :|
So as I'm keeping the EK electric Wipers this is now consigned to the FE/FC parts bin with the Speedo and choke control cable. :)

If this keeps up I might have to buy a FE/FC to put all these parts on.. :roll:

Cheers
Wayne Chambers
President
MeFB

Post by MeFB »

That pump might be the original one? Maybe the previous owner just kept it when they fitted the 'newer' one without the vacuum booster pump.

My FB has electric wipers at the moment, but I'll be de-converting it when I get back to Perth. Blacky has a NOS vacuum motor that I'm buying from him.

It'll be interesting to see if the vacuum system is as crap as everyone thinks, or if the issues were just down to lack of maintenance. I have a feeling it will be a bit of both.

Alan
WayneXG95

Post by WayneXG95 »

MeFB wrote:It'll be interesting to see if the vacuum system is as crap as everyone thinks, or if the issues were just down to lack of maintenance. I have a feeling it will be a bit of both.:arrow: :D
Well just don't drive up any hills in the rain pally...You'll find out pretty quick why we converted to electric...filp flap filp flap flip flap stop :shock:

:mrgreen:

Cheers Alan :thumbsup:
Wayne Chambers
President
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

MeFB wrote:That pump might be the original one? Maybe the previous owner just kept it when they fitted the 'newer' one without the vacuum booster pump.

My FB has electric wipers at the moment, but I'll be de-converting it when I get back to Perth. Blacky has a NOS vacuum motor that I'm buying from him.

It'll be interesting to see if the vacuum system is as crap as everyone thinks, or if the issues were just down to lack of maintenance. I have a feeling it will be a bit of both.

If you want that motor I also have a reco fuel/vacuum pump that is still on the car , if you can come up with a fuel pump for me you can have that as well. :thumbsup:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
MeFB

Post by MeFB »

Thanks Blacky, I've just bought a NOS EK pump from ePay. We can do a swap if you like.

Alan
resto

Post by resto »

My offering - would appear to be not NASCO -but period correct from alternate parts supply house such as Motor Spares or the like

Resto