FB longer wheel studs ????

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Squirralien
State: NOT ENTERED

FB longer wheel studs ????

Post by Squirralien »

Hi,, I am needing wheel studs for the front of the FB that are about 10 to 15mm longer, has anyone found these or an equivalent from something else,
Thanks
Steven

Check out my daughters Website and read her story, Take away from it what you do and pass it on to friends and family to read, Awareness is the purpose, Know your rights in hospital and Know and learn the condition

www.melissas.net
Trev

Re: FB longer wheel studs ????

Post by Trev »

I replaced a stud on my HR disc and it was allot longer than the rest so I cut it down to size, don't know if they are the same on FB/EK's.
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
Squirralien

Post by Squirralien »

where did you get the stud from, or was it standard from a HR wreck
Thanks
Steven

Check out my daughters Website and read her story, Take away from it what you do and pass it on to friends and family to read, Awareness is the purpose, Know your rights in hospital and Know and learn the condition

www.melissas.net
Trev

Post by Trev »

I recon I got it from Repco new.
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
Squirralien

Post by Squirralien »

ok thanks,, I will be taking a stud out in the next few days to start the search to find a slightly longer set for the front of the FB
Thanks
Steven

www.melissas.net
Mick
State: NSW

Post by Mick »

i think from memory the splined end of the stud is different for FB/EK i remember trying to do this years ago and there was some sort of issue

something i did years ago to space wheels out was (if you can find any) get LC/LJ torana front drum brake drums and hub and put them on
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Squirralien

Post by Squirralien »

I ended up getting the correct longer studs from AutoBarn, believe it or not they had them in stock,, 10 only, but they had the image and product code in their book so they could order them in if anyone else is looking for longer studs for the FB or EK
Thanks
Steven

www.melissas.net
Bluehaze

Post by Bluehaze »

I know it's been a while for this thread, but I'm considering longer studs for the back of my FB project, which had a HR rear. Autobarn do indeed stock the longer ones. Currently there are about two to three threads unused on the wheel nuts.
What I want to know, is there any trick to getting the old studs out? Or just screw on some old nuts and bash away?
Thanks.
Squirralien

Post by Squirralien »

I did try the nut n bash method but ended up taking them to the engineer that was doing some engine work for me and he got them out easily with a press and put the new ones in for me,, but give it a go yours might not be in as tight as mine were,, good luck
Thanks
Steven

www.melissas.net
Bluehaze

Post by Bluehaze »

Just tried the Nut'nBash method myself. Little buggers won't even think of moving. So i'm off to the mechanic to get them pressed out, but not before I buy some new ones. The only ones at Autobarn are 70mm total length -twice as long as the original!
Haven't tried Burson's or Repco yet, but I will see. The studs I have are only about 3mm deep into the nuts, so I only need the studs a bit longer.
Squirralien

Post by Squirralien »

im not sure what length ours were but i can measure them when i get home in a few days if you haven't found any yet
Thanks
Steven

www.melissas.net
Bluehaze

Post by Bluehaze »

After removing the axles, I managed to knock them out with the axle flange supported by my offset vice. The studs I have are 36.7mm long. The nuts overhang by 2.5mm. Bursons have 40mm studs at $4.60 each. So the extra 3.3mm will ensure the whole wheel nut is engaging the stud. In my case I'm using a HR rear axle with HK/G rims, which have a slight return on them where the nut holes are.
Squirralien

Post by Squirralien »

The studs I got were $10 each, but buying ten I got one for free from memory ,, I know it was either $90 or $100 ?? they saw me coming I think
Thanks
Steven

www.melissas.net
FbSTDwagon
State: SA

Post by FbSTDwagon »

I thought it is appropriate for this thread so I’ll share my findings here.

I rang around for replacement whee studs for the FB and the common part number is NS146 so I bought 10 for the 2 rear axles and bought them home to fit.

It seems to me there are obvious differences like a fine knurl vs a course original knurl, the length of the knurl on the NS146 is longer so it will protrude past the rim mating face on the axle and lastly the head diameter is a touch smaller… but that I can live with.

The stud lengths are different too from base of head to end of thread… original is 31mm and the NS146 is 36mm

Repco and Car Parts plus both quoted this number for the stud catalogue.

Is this truely the correct replacement part because I’m not convinced they are correct!
Attachments
FBAF0EA8-E218-4DED-8B40-32BC154D555B.jpeg
FBAF0EA8-E218-4DED-8B40-32BC154D555B.jpeg (59.45 KiB) Viewed 491 times
378087B5-CB76-43D6-AD7F-2B6D8DA77F96.jpeg
378087B5-CB76-43D6-AD7F-2B6D8DA77F96.jpeg (100.89 KiB) Viewed 492 times
Drew
FbSTDwagon
State: SA

Post by FbSTDwagon »

I just looked up rare spares website and pulled this pick.

The knurls certainly look more like the original…
Attachments
852DB9A4-624E-4728-9009-EA3F6361DCF1.jpeg
852DB9A4-624E-4728-9009-EA3F6361DCF1.jpeg (66.09 KiB) Viewed 486 times
Drew