Seat belts to the back seat of a wagon ??

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

FATBOY
State: NOT ENTERED

Seat belts to the back seat of a wagon ??

Post by FATBOY »

What have people used
regards fatboy
Trev

Re: Seat belts to the back seat of a wagon ??

Post by Trev »

I was planing to use inertia real for the sides and welded in the mounting points, but when it came to ordering them it seems what I thought would be the rite spot to mount the real wasn't (too much angle, needs to be level). So I just used the 3 point harness's on the sides and lap sash in the middle.
I would buy the reals before trying to do the reals next time :wink: , Trev 8) .
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
parisian62
State: NSW

Post by parisian62 »

good topic - I'm interested too.

Any pics Trev?
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
Rusty EK

Post by Rusty EK »

I used commodore inertia front and rear in the ute , front ones worked a charm , but as Trev said , I put too much angle on the back ones , cut them out and leveled them up , still no good :roll: , the rear commodore ones lean to the outside of the car as well , and they just wont work if they are not exactly in the right position. :oops:

Will have a third attempt when I calm down :lol: , so my advice is ,for what it is worth, get them first and have a look at the car that they came out of and how they are positioned in that car !!!then replicate that .Exactly :roll:
Trev

Post by Trev »

Pics as requested :D .
Would probably have made a flat mounting spot ontop of the wheel arch if I was doing it again.
I did put a mounting point under the board just behind the seat but it wouldn't have worked :roll: .
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
parisian62

Post by parisian62 »

thanks Trev. :)
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
mag600

Post by mag600 »

My setup is similar to trev. I'll post some pics when I get it back from the painter later this week.

For now though here's some pics I sent QT when getting recognition of the NSW mods

parisian62

Post by parisian62 »

useful pics - thanks mag600. Ive seen another wagon in NSW with similar rear belt setup to yours.
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Harv

Post by Harv »

My wagon came with similar mounting points to Trevs, "Frankensteined" through to the outside of the pillar :( .

I'm hoping to go the same way as Ed Ho did for his wagon 8) . From memory, he ran inertia reels from an XD Falcon, mounted up on the rear wheelarch (I can't find the pics I saved from the FE/FC forum, but remember Ed took some good ones when he was Dynamatting). I even bought the Falcon reels and stored em away.

If we can get Ed to put the gasaxe down for a minute (the man is way too talented with sheetmetal :mrgreen: ), he may still have the photos.
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
EK JAY

Post by EK JAY »

Any more info harv on the seat belts or info from ed did you ever find those pics from the fe fc forum
im getting close to being up to this stage and would like to run retractables in the rear of the wagon
need to sort it out before I start playing with that hood line :thumbsup:
EK JAY SINCE 1990
Harv

Post by Harv »

I got the belts mounted in mine... but can only find half my photos :oops: . I was working to comply with NCOP, where every damn bolt location is mathermatically related to another. Pain in the bum.

Starting point is to put the lap bolts into the floor, working from the sills inwards. The wagon subframe is hard up against the sills in the rear seat - this makes it damn hard to mount a plate through the floor there - see green shaded area in the diagram below.

You could come inboard (like where I am holding the plate in the photo above), but that is not too comfortable as it squeezes the passenger's hips in. Easiest is to mount sideways through the wheel well - like the crappy belt in the photo below. This puts the plate vertically in the wheel well area, not horizontally under the floor.

Now the two outer lap bolts are in, you can do the four inner bolts. The belts cannot share bolts, and need to be spaced as below:

Room to move the belts around, but needs thinking through carefully. I found that I could not make the three seatbelts the same width without them being very narrow. I chose to go pretty close to 165mm for that centre belt, and about 250mm for the two outers. This makes the two outers more comfortable than the narrow middle belt, but I will have someone in the midle only infrequently. The big pain here is the "no bolt sharing, must be 200mm apart" bit.

Once the floor bolts are in, you can then do the maths to locate the sash guide. Fricken pain in the bum, and heavily dependant on where you marked those floor bolts. For mine, I get an "Area A" that I can put the sash guide in as per the sheet of white paper in the image below:

All that PVC tape is where I had to calulate, measure and mark up the NCOP dimensions. Note that the "Area A" part that is on the C-pillar does not line up to the crappy old sash guide bolt... I had to drill new holes (sorry Dave... that's why you're welding up the old holes).

The reel is then mounted on the wheel arch. Can't find my photos, but here is Ed Ho's:
I used reels from HEMCO, with the plates again in the wheel wells.

Hope this helps. I started writing it up as a Guide, but havn't got around to finishing it... I have the attention span of a goldfish :oops: .

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
EK JAY

Post by EK JAY »

:thumbsup: Thanks Harv much appreciated I did look through the fe fc forum last night but most of ed 's photo's
are gone did you use xd wagon belts as per ed's wagon if so did you buy them from any one in particular
I would like to get buckskin coloured ones rather then black :) as per my seats / door trims
EK JAY SINCE 1990
Harv

Post by Harv »

I fitted HEMCO belts (prices below were mid-2013, excluding GST):

1790001 Front and Rear Inertia Lap/Sash Seat Belts $115.00 each - need four of these.
1790002 Front and Rear Middle Static Lap Seat Belt $65.00 each - need two of these.
1740211 Reinforcing Plate with Captive Nut $5.00 each - need sixteen of these.
1720265 90º ELR Mounting Bracket Kit (1765174) $15.00 each (these are used to mount the front belts up off the floor and onto the B-pillar - need two).

Cost is not cheap - $700+GST - but good quality gear. Glad I DIY'd this one, as there is a fair bit of mucking around time with the measuring... probably a full day's chargeable labour.

If you are going to Frankenstein it, add barrel bolts (1740034 Barrel Bolt $4.00 each + GST) - need four.

Cheers,
Harv
FbSTDwagon
State: SA

Post by FbSTDwagon »

I am currently fitting the seatbelt mounts in my rig.

A friend who is a trimmer came and marked out where to drill the holes but there wasn’t any calculations or reference to codes and I am wondering if this arrangement is going to be ok/legal.

2 pics below of the floor mounts and 1 of the hole drilled behind the C pillar / below the rear side window.

Rear top of the belt will be mounted on hole circled in green.

Do you guys think this will be ok?
Attachments
9617C25E-4220-4BE3-9572-7E06DB745F91.jpeg
9617C25E-4220-4BE3-9572-7E06DB745F91.jpeg (87.36 KiB) Viewed 579 times
4AB6A651-880E-4DD3-86D7-61A837DBC44D.jpeg
4AB6A651-880E-4DD3-86D7-61A837DBC44D.jpeg (114.61 KiB) Viewed 579 times
D8ADAF9D-EB1A-455E-9F81-937813E1BEA4.jpeg
D8ADAF9D-EB1A-455E-9F81-937813E1BEA4.jpeg (100.45 KiB) Viewed 579 times
D4A8F9C5-5806-4D17-B481-66E5FE71A240.jpeg
D4A8F9C5-5806-4D17-B481-66E5FE71A240.jpeg (86.93 KiB) Viewed 579 times
Drew
FbSTDwagon
State: SA

Post by FbSTDwagon »

mag600 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:18 pm My setup is similar to trev. I'll post some pics when I get it back from the painter later this week.

For now though here's some pics I sent QT when getting recognition of the NSW mods

My set up will be the same as this but is this configuration going to cause me any legal drama if inspected?
Drew