Seat belts to the back seat of a wagon ??

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Re: Seat belts to the back seat of a wagon ??

Post by Blacky »

I have been a fan of the common sense rule in regards to this - there has been repeated cases of people on here ending up having trouble with engineering for seat belts - my theory is if you have a prang big enough to pull a bolt mounted to a plate through steel the forces are that great that you will be dead anyway - so leave them out, get it licenced with no belts then put them in when you get home.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
FbSTDwagon
State: SA

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Blacky wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:24 pm I have been a fan of the common sense rule in regards to this - there has been repeated cases of people on here ending up having trouble with engineering for seat belts - my theory is if you have a prang big enough to pull a bolt mounted to a plate through steel the forces are that great that you will be dead anyway - so leave them out, get it licenced with no belts then put them in when you get home.
Geez mate, I’m feeling a bit stupid right now.
That approach is so obvious and I didn’t even think of it.

Now you say it yes it’s probably the simplest way of sorting it out

Thanks mate
Drew
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

I had a crapload of drama with my belts. I had to demonstrate to the engineer that the installation met NCOP. Lots of angles, maths, cardboard templates etc. I've got it all written up (with photos) as a Guide, but am struggling to find the time to finish the document. If you want a copy of the draft, PM me an email address.

From a rough look, some engineers won't like the c-pillar mount (unless you have a huge, curved plate behind it), some may not like the belts running over the seat back (for kids... adult shoulders would be OK), and the spacing between bolts on the floor may not meet the minimum.

Agree with Blacky - the common sense rule should be used more often.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FbSTDwagon
State: SA

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Cheers for the feedback Harv.

Yes I am going with the common sense rule, plates will be blanked off with short bolts and I’ll just leave it like that for now.

I’m hoping they don’t call me out and ask ‘why are those seat belt brackets in the floor pan?’
Drew