Does anyone rebuild FBEK steering boxes?

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

(AUST)Mod
State: WA

Does anyone rebuild FBEK steering boxes?

Post by (AUST)Mod »

As above. I suspect mine could do with a rebuild based upon free-play in the steering wheel (left to right movement without turning the wheels) and difficulty of turning at low speeds.

Thanks
Andrew
Craig wrote: Andrew you have a red so I wouldn't race it :wink:

Blacky

Re: Does anyone rebuild FBEK steering boxes?

Post by Blacky »

Are you sure the movement is in the steering box ? Get someone to move the wheel back and forth and stick your head under there and see where the slop is.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
(AUST)Mod

Post by (AUST)Mod »

OK will do thanks for the tip mate.

jake08
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by jake08 »

Silly question but have you checked the grease? My ek got pinged atb the pits for the same thing so i just packed more in.
ben

Post by ben »

As whats said above Andrew. If you haven't done already, alot of play can be removed with the adjustment on top of the box itself. Undo the lock-nut turn the adjuster with large screwdriver clockwise until it just starts to get tight then re-tighten the lock-nut . If there is no adjustment left the box is probably shagged. I think rarespares do a miner repair kit.

You would also benefit from making or buying a steering box brace. If you place your hand so your touching the steering box and sub-frame and rock the steering side to side you can feel the box flexing. A brace eliminates this and in turn sharpens up the steering
(AUST)Mod

Post by (AUST)Mod »

Thanks guys,

Will get on it!

stinky
State: SA

Post by stinky »

Product Code: SB3 Change Over Only! A change over unit suitable for reconditioning needs to be provided in advance.
Price inc GST($AUD) : $498.17 EA Export Price exc GST($AUD) : $452.88 EA

Description: STEERING BOX RECONDITIONED C/O FB EK MANUAL
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Resurrecting and old post, seem to recall there was someone other than rare spares doing this going back a few years. Anyone able to provide feedback? Mine has around 15 degrees play at centre. I have adjusted and fitted a brace but still not the best. Now I've been driving it I will top up with molybdenum grease and revisit the adjustment.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FJWALLY
State: VIC

Post by FJWALLY »

rarespares dont actually do them themselves - they send them out to Roger Hancock - 0408349185 - he did mine a few years back - assume he is still doing it
You will find me lost somewhere!
FJWALLY
State: VIC

Post by FJWALLY »

As it was explained to me the real issue is the wear on the worm drive - if they have excessive wear they will never be great even iff the other parts replaced so it's important to start with something that is not flogged to death already which is not easy to do.
Errol62 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:37 am Resurrecting and old post, seem to recall there was someone other than rare spares doing this going back a few years. Anyone able to provide feedback? Mine has around 15 degrees play at centre. I have adjusted and fitted a brace but still not the best. Now I've been driving it I will top up with molybdenum grease and revisit the adjustment.

You will find me lost somewhere!
ardiesse
State: NSW

Post by ardiesse »

Clay,

When you get to the point of having lots of free play at straight ahead, it usually means that the sector shaft and bushes are worn, as well as the gear teeth on the ball nut and sector shaft.

OK, so you can replace the sector shaft bushes; and turn the ball nut upside-down. But high-mileage steering boxes also suffer from pitting on the wormshaft bearing surfaces and the worm itself. If the pitting is confined to the bearing surfaces only, that can be repaired (hard chroming or metal spraying). And the interior of the ballnut often pits too, where the balls run.

So I'm with the other Rob - it's best to find a good, low-mileage steering box. And when you've found a good one, it won't need rebuilding.

Rob
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Thanks, Roger Hancock that is the feller. I will talk to him. I thought I recalled he was using new worm shafts which is what I am after.

EK van on rotisserie
D-MAN

Post by D-MAN »

Frank Tedesco got mine done - he sent it away and took ages ... I can find out where he sends it
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

It’s ok thanks damo. Got the info I wanted.
Cheers
Clay

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Spoke to Roger Hancock today about the all synchro shifter conversion and I figure I may as well get it overhauled at the same time. I had a look at doing the all synchro conversion myself and got so far with it using parts from an HQ column. In the end I decided the money would be well spent on Roger’s conversion.

Having sacrificed a good column in my conversion attempt already, I’ve started going through several I have to find a good one to send off. According to Roger Rare Spares don’t seem able to supply him with new worm gears currently, so I am looking for the best bits I can find in my collection. I did ring the Adelaide store and order one though, which they say will be here in a week. We will soon see.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie