TH700 conversion help

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

minifb
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: TH700 conversion help

Post by minifb »

Squirralien wrote:I have decided to stick to the trimatic after ringing and talking to the guys that did this conversion, although its a great conversion it is very involved and needs more money thrown at it than it would appear and the flywheel was original for the motor but the XU-1 spec motor went better with this trans with a closer to standard cam (a towing cam) as he suggested, My budget is very tight so I have stuck with the trimatic, I got one I drove and it drove well but got told the clutch packs were falling apart and it needed to be rebuilt so the trans place locally rebuilt it to heavy duty specs for $850 including a change over torque converter with apparently about a 16 to 1800 hi stall,
Fingers crossed it will all be good, but I would have liked the TH700, but KISS Keep it simple stupid is the plan I'm following
Mate Ive got this conversion in a FC wagon with a worked 179... To be honest i would rather have a 4speed manual.. The auto dont go that good with the worked moter.. Cheers
FB/EKForum member 123
ImageWoofto Car Club Member No4

IF ITS NOT CHOPPED IT MAY ASWELL BE RESTORED

Member FB-EK Holden Car Club of NSW Inc.
Squirralien

Post by Squirralien »

Is that the TH700 you have in the FC wagon, we put the trimatic in not wanting it to be a speedster just a bit lumpy for cruising and sounding good on idle haha,, things may change down the line but my wife wanted it to sound hot, couldn't afford to do it right with a V8 conversion so settled for the hot 6 at this stage, see how it goes and might drop the cam back in specs if its not what was wanted because the guys that did this TH700 conversion said a lower spec cam will get it going really well and they said the xu-1 cam will not have the performance we are looking for but we are just after it to sound really nice on idle and cruise along nicely not really a full power house car,,, see what happens, I reinforced the crossmember to take a V8 if things change down the track
Thanks
Steven

Check out my daughters Website and read her story, Take away from it what you do and pass it on to friends and family to read, Awareness is the purpose, Know your rights in hospital and Know and learn the condition

www.melissas.net
minifb

Post by minifb »

Yes in the FC wagon
FB/EKForum member 123
ImageWoofto Car Club Member No4

IF ITS NOT CHOPPED IT MAY ASWELL BE RESTORED

Member FB-EK Holden Car Club of NSW Inc.
Squirralien

Post by Squirralien »

Oh thats a shame if you have the TH700 and don't like it, I would have thought it would have been really good with the extra 4th gear
Thanks
Steven

Check out my daughters Website and read her story, Take away from it what you do and pass it on to friends and family to read, Awareness is the purpose, Know your rights in hospital and Know and learn the condition

www.melissas.net
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

I should add that having driven the FC of mini's it really needs a bigger stall converter. PM Lynchpin on here his is Harko's old wagon and he's really happy with it. it all comes down to setting everything up to suit, whereas what mini has could do with some sorting and I think would be good.
cruisin_doug

Post by cruisin_doug »

Thanks for the article, I am looking to do this to my ute after yet another fail with the Traumatic ... but is there any chance of scanning in the missing page/s? (steps 10 - 15)

Also, having had this on the road for a while now (I'm assuming??) has it proven reliable? Any towing???

Cheers

Doug
ek wazza
State: NSW

Post by ek wazza »

Has anyone else done this conversion and did you use a bigger tunnel or was the AUTO bodyshell tunnel big enough?
Building an EK Special Sedan 304 T700, Rodtech F/end with disc's front & rear, and driving an EK Special Sedan Grey with Trimatic and the rest stock
EK283

Post by EK283 »

ek wazza wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:35 pm Has anyone else done this conversion and did you use a bigger tunnel or was the AUTO bodyshell tunnel big enough?
Yes mate I have done this conversion with a small block chev.

I grafted in a auto tunnel and braced it on the underneath side tying in the floor cross braces. The turbo 700 fits in no problems. The original auto hump has the brace inside so has a bit more room.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
ek wazza

Post by ek wazza »

thanks Greg
Building an EK Special Sedan 304 T700, Rodtech F/end with disc's front & rear, and driving an EK Special Sedan Grey with Trimatic and the rest stock
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Are you looking to do this conversion mate ? I have a complete kit including conversion kit, reconditioned beefed up T700 , recoed more stall converter , Lokar shifter and gear indicator for sale - going manual .......
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
ek wazza

Post by ek wazza »

im using a 304 and T700 out of a VP i bought and stripped so already have the transmission mate. Just weighing up whether to use the Borg Warner Diff or get a 9inch
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

ek wazza wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:57 am im using a 304 and T700 out of a VP i bought and stripped so already have the transmission mate. Just weighing up whether to use the Borg Warner Diff or get a 9inch
Fair enough , was going off your signature which mentioned a hot 202 .........
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

ek wazza wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:57 amJust weighing up whether to use the Borg Warner Diff or get a 9inch
I'd stay with the VP's 28-spline BW78 for a "mostly-cruiser-occasionally-thrashed" car. They will handle a considerable beating, and are lighter than the 9". Easy to upgrade to 31 splines if it becomes a "mostly-thrashed-occasionaly cruiser". LSD centres easy enough to buy. VP brakes are easy to service and parts readily available.

The earlier BW75 is a little flimsy (Number 1 Son managed to put some interesting curves into the splines in his VL).

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/bo ... -tech-talk

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.