bonnet cable

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Rev Tex
State: NSW

Re: bonnet cable

Post by Rev Tex »

Thanks all for the photos. Based on that additional info and Harv's horror story I made a longer pin (42mm).

Everything bench tested really well, but it hasn't worked on the car. I think there's two problems; I think the EJ/EH cable is too short and there's insufficient play, but the main problem seems to be that the outer sleeve is stressed by the geometry of the cable entering through the hole at the rear of the bonnet subframe. I think it is forcing the front of the sleeve sleeve down toward the base of the locking hole.

I don't really know how to fix this - my outer sleeve is already shorter than the ones in the photos, so I don't think I can trim it any further.

Has anyone else had similar problems?
IMG_7965.jpg
IMG_7965.jpg (446.06 KiB) Viewed 325 times
IMG_7968.jpg
IMG_7968.jpg (497.47 KiB) Viewed 325 times
IMG_7998.jpg
IMG_7998.jpg (693.79 KiB) Viewed 325 times
IMG_7999.jpg
IMG_7999.jpg (616.97 KiB) Viewed 325 times
Errol62
State: SA

Re: bonnet cable

Post by Errol62 »

Yeh. They never worked properly for me, well rarely, even factory ones. Fitted one to my FB, shock horror. When I refitted the bonnet it wouldn’t work. Cable broke do pulled it out. Later the bonnet wouldn’t open unless I reach under and compress the latch with my left thumb. This while holding the safety release with right hand. Thought to fix it, then decided hey, good security measure, so left as is.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie