Wheel size

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Malcolm
State: NOT ENTERED

Wheel size

Post by Malcolm »

Hey all,

Could anyone guide me on what size wheels you can fit under the back of an FB Sedan without scrubing problems.
I'm not sure what size to go for weather 15 or 17. I'm rather fond of the Weld Drag Lites. I've seen a few FB/EK's with them on and they look very tuff.
Any info would be great. Thanks

Cheers

Mal
Malcolm W.
Trev

Post by Trev »

Hi Malcolm I've seen 14x8's or 15x7's fit realy well, supose it depends on how low the car is. It might take a bit of trial and error to get the offset right.
Malcolm

Wheel size

Post by Malcolm »

Hey Trev,

I'm not overly concerned about the offset, once I find a size that will fit under the guards I'm going to call on Aussie Diffs to make me a 9inch to suit the length.
I was planning on having it sit as low as possible but still be usable.

Mal
Malcolm W.
Trev

Post by Trev »

Ok then, why not just choose the wheels you like and modify the car to suite, eg tubs etc?
FB MAD

Post by FB MAD »

Hi Malcolm.Not sure of QLD modification rules but here in N.S.W to fit wider than standard wheels legally its best to stick to the RTA rules for modifications so as not to attract the boys in blue :wink: :wink: :wink:

I suppose you would already be aware of how wide you can go and how much beyond the standard wheel track you can go but I'd be interested in what the QLD transport authorities will allow.

I remember in the 1980's QLD had the most stringent laws and would not allow much modification at all but nowdays modification seems to be set more on a Federal level with not too many differences between the states.

Terry.
I can't think what to write here so this will do.
Malcolm

Wheel size

Post by Malcolm »

Terry,
I was planning on the biggest wheel without body modification. In Queensland if you followed the code of practice in regard to modification you wouldn't bother doing anything. If your interested you can view the code of practice for QLD vehicles on the net through QLD Transport web site. The main thing with wheels is that they not increase the original wheel track of the vehicle by more than 26mm. But when you fit a HR front end that goes out the door. Very rarely have I seen problems with wheel size from the boys in blue unless there sticking out the guards a mile.
In my experiences, the only time you have problems in QLD with the transport guys is when you drive like a idiot and attract attention to yourself.
Well thats the only time I hassle anyone with a modified car, O yeh i'm a cop myself in QLD.
I have been building modified cars for years and I appreciate the work that people put into there prise possessions. Its just the idiots that spoil it for us.

Cheers
Mal
Malcolm W.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I looked at quite a few cars at the nationals Malcolm and if you are staying with stock wheel arches (I assume you will roll the lip though) the biggest tyres were in the region of a 235 on the lowered vehicles on the rear and a 195/205 on the front.
The yellow V8 EK had 275/50/15 on the back in a stock wheel well but it sat fairly high , he had clearance issues though as you could imagine.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

Hi Guys,
I read with great interest in these issues of legality. I love a challenge and researching is just that!.
NSW RTA states 26mm increase is permissable, when non original axle is used then the 26mm applies to the new axle specs, so Holden HR plus 26mm! You may have a total track increase for FB/EK of 60 mm but this is ok because you use the specs from the HR components. This also relates to the diff as well.
Offset is the measurement from the wheel center bolt face to the inside and outside of the rim edge.
The maximum rim width for the FB/EK because it weighs in at 1120kg can be 8 inches. Now heres the interesting part, If the FB/EK has zero offset
then a 8 inch rim with zero offset can be used, just because it protrudes 2 inches further out it dosent matter because it will also go inwards the same amount, follow?
Anyway 8 inch rims wouldnt fit under the wheel arches without rubbing unless you use very small tyres!
Regards Greg EK283!
smooth

Post by smooth »

In NSW an engineer can place "any" size wheel and tyre combo on the engineers report if he/she deems it safe and roadworthy. This report is then put to the NSW RTA for acceptance. If excepted the car is legally registered.

That's not to say if an engineer is stripped of accreditation for doing bodgies that RTA has the right to bring all cars with engineers reports from that engineer for a re-review. (Been there seen it happen)

I just had my son's car passed with 14x8 rims 235/60/14 and 14x7 205/60/14 by an engineer and RTA cleared. It is on the report and can/must be presented on call to police or RTA. Still at least he can drive around without fear of being overtrack.

Regards, Smooth 8)
FbSTDwagon
State: SA

Re: Wheel size

Post by FbSTDwagon »

This has been an interesting read and it leaves me a bit bamboozed with what to do for my wagon.

I really ‘wanted’ to utilise the spare wheel area above the fuel tank and keep the 13inch original sized spare and get some fatter 13’s to drive the car on.

But it seems finding 13inch wheels is a real PITA.

So I’ll need to go 14 inch just to save some headaches.

A local steel wheel joint in Adelaide (impatient prick he was) can only do 14 inch wheels in either 6 or 8 inch wide.

Yes I have had a read but I’m a wheel offset numpty and don’t know what I’m taking about so I’m going to ask a hopefully simple question.

If I were to go 14x6 on the front and 14x8 on the back what offsets do I need to clear the wagon body which runs original drum brakes all round?

I’m hoping just to call to prick and get him to make them without have to have any trial and error.

Thanks dudes.
Drew
EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

Drew.

14x 8 will be to hard to fit in, it would have to be measured with the diff in then rolled guards and probably small tyres that will look crap in my opinion.

I am pretty sure standard wheel offset is +19mm (3/4) inch for an EK. That is for a 4.5 inch rim, so quoting this to your wheel guy may bring you unstuck on the front due to the wider rim moving inwards.

If it fits with this offset you could go 6 for both and just use a larger tyre for the rear ?????

Sorry probably not much help really !!

Greg
Last edited by EK283 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So many cars so little time!
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

FbSTDwagon wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:46 pm

If I were to go 14x6 on the front and 14x8 on the back what offsets do I need to clear the wagon body which runs original drum brakes all round?

Thanks dudes.
I doubt you will get a 14 x 8 under the bum , a 7 is about it. I have 14 x 6 on my ute - I think . I can measure them if you want ??
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

It does seem that you can only get 13" steel rims in 4.5" width now. Bummer.
You better try my 14x6" on the front of your bus. Make sure they don't foul on the front of the top control arm on the kingpin suspension.

On the rear i am running 235/60R14 tyres on 8×14" alloys. Tolerable rubbing with lowered suspension and rolled guards. They look good. 225/60 tyres would eliminate rubbing altogether, excepting extreme body roll. As I'm running torana axle I can't quote you offsets on these. I will measure offset on my 13x7" chromies to give you a good idea for the rear.

FB ute driver, EK van project

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

You want plus 15mm offset on the rear drew. My chromies are plus 17. They rub very slightly on the inside in severe body roll, a nd clear rolled guards easily on the outside.

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

225 tyre on an 8" rim is to the plus 1" rule, general guide for a tough look.

EK van on rotisserie