EK Ute returns

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

In the Shed
State: SA

Re: EK Ute returns

Post by In the Shed »

That'll get the ute moving along nicely.......... :thumbsup:
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Wow great scoreGazza

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Thats purty 8) 8) 8) you need to move the coil or whatever that black box is to a more discreet location though Gaz :thumbsup:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Thats a nice cam. Lumpy enough for the track, but still streetable. Should come on song between 2200rpm and 5700rpm.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
WesternWagon

Post by WesternWagon »

Picked up the motor yesterday
Just need to swap a few bits around front plate on FX to EK to get align the engine mount
Upgrade the gearbox from mechanical to hydraulic clutch not sure if I need to swap extension housing?
Swap camsImageImage and fit new timing gearsImage
Internals are very clean

Tidy home made T and fuel line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Member : Holden Car Club WA.
:ASRF Member
: Secretary FB/EK holden Club of WA.
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

There'll be a few gotchas with the "EK" conversion of this motor and gearbox, because they are so early.

Firstly, you can get rid of the clutch countershaft bracket at the right rear of the block. You won't need it.

An EK front engine mount plate onto an FX motor isn't a bolt-in swap, unfortunately. Between FX and EK the front main bearing cap was revised: the oil drain holes were lowered, an extra mounting bolt was added (just on the right side of the crankshaft timing gear) and other timing cover attaching bolts were enlarged and the holes tapped in the front main bearing cap. A vent hole was also drilled in the front of the cylinder block behind the camshaft timing gear.

The best way of changing over to an EK front engine mount plate is also to change over to an EK front main bearing cap, but this requires checking the front main bearing clearance carefully with Plastigage when fitting the replacement front main bearing cap.

It's also best to change over to an EK timing cover (big "+" sign pressed into the front of the cover instead of a sort-of stylised "H"). Or you can identify the bolts which got enlarged and drill the FX timing cover bolt holes to suit.

Because you'll be pulling the camshaft out to change the front engine mount plate over anyway, it's a good idea to ditch the fibre timing gear for an alloy or steel one.

You won't be able to fit a clutch slave cylinder to the FX gearbox: the cast rib on the right hand side of the bellhousing interferes with the slave cylinder, and the "ears" for the driver's side engine mount bracket are not machined to take the slave cylinder either. The FX clutch cover is a "six-bolt" type with integral exhaust pipe bracket, and will interfere with EK rear engine mount brackets; you would need a "four-bolt" EK clutch cover. The gearshift levers on the gearbox are for FX-FJ, and are different from the EK ones. They would need changing over to EK. If this gearbox is original internally, it will have a single-row rear bearing. An EK gearbox has a double-row rear bearing, which lasts a lot longer.

All told: the best thing to do with the gearbox is to sell it complete to someone restoring an FX/FJ. The early gearbox cases are eagerly sought after by the Humpy fraternity. Use an EK gearbox complete instead.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the little details like this can turn out to be major frustrations . . .

Rob
WesternWagon

EK Ute returns

Post by WesternWagon »

Thanks Rob

Sent you a PM

I have a good usable gearbox in my ute, thanks for the advice I probably now sell the gearbox as it has just been rebuilt.

Was wondering if there was a difference between the FJ & B series front plates as I can see difference between the J & B series plates the J has additional holes

Cheers

Gazza

Harv

Post by Harv »

Engine plate info here:
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... te#p237750

(with thanks to Rob for teaching me last time round 8) )

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
WesternWagon

Post by WesternWagon »

Thanks Harv

Great read

Regards

Gazza

WesternWagon

Post by WesternWagon »

Thanks for the chat Rob
Here are the 3 I have from a L B and J blocks
only slight difference is the bottom right hole on the FC block is smaller
Chasing an FE front plate Image

Timing covers

ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Gazza,

Early FE front engine mount plates are fairly thin on the ground. The FC one you have is after the revision to the oil drain holes in the front main bearing cap. You can still use it, though, without modification to the front main bearing cap. And the early timing gear cover is the one that matches this front plate.

One trick that I've seen done on early motors with later front mount plates is to drill a third oil drain hole in the front main bearing cap, under the crank centreline, with the hole touching the flat of the new engine mount plate. But you'd have to take the sump off to clean the swarf out after drilling the hole.

Is the oil squirt hole pointing in the right direction? And it's a good idea to check that the threads in the captive nuts are OK before using the front mounting plate.

Rob
WesternWagon

Post by WesternWagon »

Thanks Rob

Hope to get it all sorted next break

Regards

Gazza

WesternWagon

Post by WesternWagon »

Off for a haircut

“Define Streetable” Image

This should be fun

Harv

Post by Harv »

Streetable: a camshaft with sufficient duration to make old blokes grin at the lumpy idle, and make millennials think the car has a fuel problem. Starts without ether but may require swearing on a cold morning. Marked unburnt fuel smell at idle (from increased overlap) will linger on clothes until washed. This may cause accusations of “you smell like old cars, Dad”. Overlap may cause occasional carburettor backfiring at idle, which may remove eyebrows if peering down the carb throat. Slightly sluggish below 2000rpm, but not sluggish enough to make the owner seek an 8000rpm Hydramatic torque converter. Acceptable justification for a Clive, McGee or Wade Cams window sticker. See also “stock cam”, “lumpy cam”, “3/4 race” and “pig to drive”.

Cheers,
Harv
WesternWagon

Post by WesternWagon »

Harv wrote:Streetable: a camshaft with sufficient duration to make old blokes grin at the lumpy idle, and make millennials think the car has a fuel problem. Starts without ether but may require swearing on a cold morning. Marked unburnt fuel smell at idle (from increased overlap) will linger on clothes until washed. This may cause accusations of “you smell like old cars, Dad”. Overlap may cause occasional carburettor backfiring at idle, which may remove eyebrows if peering down the carb throat. Slightly sluggish below 2000rpm, but not sluggish enough to make the owner seek an 8000rpm Hydramatic torque converter. Acceptable justification for a Clive, McGee or Wade Cams window sticker. See also “stock cam”, “lumpy cam”, “3/4 race” and “pig to drive”.

Cheers,
Harv
Ha ha that’s gold, sums it up nicely , my ute is like a two stroke atm, all noise and no guts but it sounds Image