Nigel"s EK Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

NigelM
State: VIC

Re: Nigel"s EK Ute

Post by NigelM »

Thanks for your replies.

Next question. Did you really have to change the oil every 1000 miles as the service book indicates. My guess is that modern oil is much better. How often should I change my oil?

Thanks
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

FB/EKs are fitted with a self-changing oiling system. They leak. If there ain't no oil under them, there ain't no oil in them :lol:

Greys have no oil filter, so they tend to accumulate all the crap in the sump. If you ever get a chance, drop the sump off and clean the crap out.

If you are driving the ute only occasionally, it will pay to change the oil at low mileage to help get rid of condensation. If you are driving it daily, you can probably get away with every 5000 miles.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

G’day Voters,
Yep every 1000 miles unless you splashed out an extra few pounds, shillings & pence for the optional filter. I don’t know what meant in regards to the extra miles you could travel before an oil change? Anyone....?

When I inherited Dad’s FB sedan in 1983 his advice for the oil change was every 1500 miles which I have stuck to ever since. With my trusty Ute I now change the oil every 12 months. Often I find it has only travelled less than 500 miles. In the scheme of things oil is cheap compared to rebuilding a motor.

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Supermarket-grade oil, changed every 1000 miles. Pour in 4 litres, drain out 3.

Rob
NigelM
State: VIC

Post by NigelM »

Thanks for your replies.

Next question. What security/anti theft precautions do you take, One of my neighbour's beautifully restored HG was stolen from his drive way the other day which got me to thinking about security. The ute must be simple to break into and hotwire. At the moment it is garaged, but was wondering what people do to secure their vehicle when they go for a drive. Do bits (hubcaps for eg) get stolen if you leave it on the street.

Thanks
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Security's an interesting problem.
The way I look at it, it takes an old-time thief to knock off an old Holden. Yes, they're easy to hotwire. But if you took a random person off the street, threw him/her the keys, and said, "Start the car and drive it away," very few would be able to do it. Early Holdens are now too old for casual theft. Those that are serious, are serious, and will have trailers and tow-trucks.

To discourage the opportunists, fit an ignition kill-switch. Or remove the central HT lead when you park the car. Or the distributor rotor. Or disconnect one of the battery leads.

Rob
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

While I find central locking and keyless entry convenient on a modern work car parking in the city with expensive equipment on board, I sincerely detest alarms. Immobilise the engine as suggested by rob. Remove any valuables and leave unlocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie