Old Car Yard Pics

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

space ace
State: NSW

Post by space ace »

Typical 60's Car Yard
Brisbane 60's?
Martians making EJ.s suitable for long distance space travel :shock: :shock: :shock:
Pete
FB MAD
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by FB MAD »

:lol: :roll: Martians :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I can't think what to write here so this will do.
rosco
State: VIC

which city

Post by rosco »

Hi - have stolen all these as well.............
Did Brisbane have trams?
I spot a volksie - along with a Chrysler Royal............ I am guessing this is '57 - '59 - what year did we get "beetles".......... most moder Holden I can see is either FE or FC - by the reg on the FE - NDD 714 it probably is Bris.......... but trams............. must have found a void in my rail knowledge here - or course, this could be a Qld car on holiday - I don't know Bris well enough to say where it is...... nothing fits for Melb............ hill is in wrong spot and there's a great factory belching smoke were the Treasury building is supposed to be.............. that has been up there since the turn of last century........ someone will know - trams in Bris.......... I know Sydney had them, and Adelaide................

frats,
Rosco
rosco

Post by rosco »

Thanks Tim,
guess someone is going to the technical library this week to update his collection of rail stuff........... had no idea........

If you look deep along the track - you can make out the time-exposure showing the side lights of the tram................

thanks for this, all very good for me....... bit of a "round-head" as well as a car "nut" ............. don't fall off your perches - I have more rail material and have done more work on rail than cars.............. Ratbox - this has been my life............... before you ask........... along with the "historical" society, coastguard, and - stop it, I'm digging a hole.................

frats,
Rosco
Finny
State: QLD

Post by Finny »

Yes Brisbane did have trams. I can only just remember getting on one with my mother. Then they were gone........... :cry: :cry:
IT's LIKE WATCHING DRUNK MONKEYS TRYING TO HUMP A FOOTBALL.
lulu

Post by lulu »

Where's a time machine when you need one :cry:

Excellent pics, loved them all :D

Lulu
-Never enough Chrome-
fb cruisin

Post by fb cruisin »

here's a pic of Australia's own car displayed at McLeod, Kelso and Lee local Holden dealership at Hunter street Newcastle, in January 1960.

space ace

Post by space ace »

Love the FB dealership shot,Would that be a ute or van at the front with the mirror on the guard?
Pete
rosco

Trams

Post by rosco »

For those not interested in the "Tram" angle in this thread....... go to next post........

For everyone else who decides to read my prattle................

"Listennnn very carefully - I shall say this only wunce".............

Did some preliminary research today.......

All major state capital cities had trams................
Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth and Hobart.........

Brisbane trams were 600 v DC - some were air braked, some purely by hand.
They ran on 4' 8 1/2" gauge. There was a great fire in 68/69 which did substantial damage to network services.
There is a book titled "Destination Valley" which apparently gives a very good account of the Brisbane system.....

Sydney had trams from 1889 (electrified) and lasted until 1961.
There is apparently a renewed street tramway again in use and is built over its predecessor......

Sydney had multiple-unit trams - as did Adelaide.

Adelaide had trams - the Glenelg line is still running - the original Bay cars (1929) ceased in 2004/5

Melbourne of course still has it's tram network (Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramway Board aka MMTB
- however the first electric tram in Australia ran from Box Hill to the Doncaster "Tower" and we adopted it as our motif of the Historical Society of which I am a life member (and Ratbox - you will remember, treasurer at age 15 - 18)

Melbourne in fact had a second tram network - ran by the Victorian Railways............. there were two separate lines
- from St. Kilda to Brighton Beach - it was 5' 3" gauge and ceased in 1958/9
The other VR line ran from Sandringham to Black Rock and later Beaumauris - it closed in 1956 - this one had a gauge of 4' 8 1/2" so ironically not only did we have a break of gauge on our railway but also on the tram network........

The 5' 3" gauge is the Irish gauge - the 4' 8 1/2 the English and Scottish gauge........
(if anyone is interested, I have "written" a "novel" on this - it's very detailed but tells the accurate story as recorded by parliaments both state and federal.......
It's in word format and also expands into some of my personal experience and some deatils of the "Aurora" head on at Violet Town in 1969...... pm me and I'll send the "word" document..... it's a big read, be warned!)

Perth had trams - 3' 6" gauge - services ceased in either the 50's or 60's.

Hobart had trams - as too did Launceston - they were 3' 6" gauge.

Provincial cities.......

Newcastle had trams - originally steam hauled with carriages then later electric - 600 v DC and running on 4' 8 1/2" gauge.

Victoria - Ballarat, Bendigo and Geelong all had 4' 8 1/2" gauge trams - all 600 v DC.......

For further information - chase up the "Destination" series tram books.....
or
look up TDU - Trams Down Under on the web..................

hope the read was worth the effort - I have "saved" this research for another of my history related interests.....

frats,
Rosco
fb cruisin

Post by fb cruisin »

space ace wrote:Love the FB dealership shot,Would that be a ute or van at the front with the mirror on the guard?
Pete
I'm not sure as the picture was taken as is, out of a book called Newcastle Times Past and they cut off the rest of the car?
FB MAD

Post by FB MAD »

I remember the newspaper ads and TV ads for Mcleod,Kelso and Lee Holden in Newcastle :roll: .

I still remember one of their TV ads in the '70's very clearly.

The ad was based on their sales motto at the time.

"We'll trade in any old bomb"

Showed old cars ( even old for the time) rolling down a gentle slope and blowing up with real explosives.

Hence they were "old bombs"...... and they were actually blown up!!

There were Austins,Morris,early '60's Fords,early valiants,'50s holdens and unfortunatley an EK wagon and an FB sedan :cry: :cry: :cry: among some other makes that I can't remember.

All were blown up.
Hewart

Post by Hewart »

Here are a couple of my old favourites.....

Heldon Motors (can't remember the exact suburb, but in Sydney somewhere I think) - out front....

and inside...

And these next couple are out the back of the Pagewood assembly plant in Sydney.... I guess they're waiting to be loaded for distribution....

Plus a couple of extras just for the fun of it ;-) ...

Cheers
Les....
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

3rd and 4th pic looks like jacko's place, if he was into EK's :lol:
Thommo

Post by Thommo »

Fantastic pics Hewart :wink:
Love to see this stuff 8)
Bottom pic looks to be King William st through the center of Adelaide.
Cheers
Jeff
FB MAD

Post by FB MAD »

Yeah Rat, 3rd and 4th pic...Jacko's place :roll: :lol: .

Instead of "Where's Wally" it'd be "Where's Jacko" :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: